Marantz 7C
Marantz 9s
KLH Model Nine speakers
SAE Mark VI FM Tuner
Thorens TD-125
SME 3009
Fidelity Research FR1 MKII
Fidelity Research FR T3 setup up transformer

I'm working hard on completing my 60s dream vintage system - a Sony ES system. The basics are there - SS-3300s, TA-1120A, ST-5000FW and PS-3000A. Just need the TC-660MD...

As for the original choice of systems, it would be interesting indeed to hear (and see) them, but I don't really have any preferences - I just don't know the gear. Well before my time!

Like many of the components, love the amps. But not a fan of any of those speakers, I would have a difficult time living with any of the choices.

Seems you have no connection to the original post with the systems listed. If you are going to throw up that gear, you should at least put together a system of their gear that is period correct to be an alternative to the ones listed. Sui has some nice old tube gear. Flesh out your post instead of just posting your avatar in the thread body. Yours seems to be the only post that is as limited except jim's:

Beverages hooked up to whatever.

Beverages should be hooked up to the curling arm. Arms that can't curl make drinking harder, would need a straw.

Seems you have no connection to the original post with the systems listed. If you are going to throw up that gear, you should at least put together a system of their gear that is period correct.

That's a good idea Blue Shadow ! :)

I have my 'dream system'. Took me 7 years to find the stuff and put it all together:

1987 AU-X901 'Vintage Series' International amp (basically the same as Sansui's AU-a707i Japanese domestic alpha). Not easy to find.
1980 TU-717 tuner (all calibrated and tuned up).
1970 SP-2000 speakers (2 pair, ported - 1 pair NOS).
1970(s) Speaker stands, wooden, with Sansui logo (pair1 ). Hard to find.
1970 AS-100 speakers - acoustic suspension, 3 each. Had a pair of AS-300 too.
1980 SR-838 turntable with 'complete' original headshell.
1980 Ortofon ‘M20FL Super’ MM cartridge (NOS) & 2 extra Sansui aluminum headshells. 1 new AT cart as spare. The Ortofon sounds outstanding. Perfect.
1980 Sansui's "High-Efficiency" speaker cables, black jacketed,2 pair - one pair NOS)
1980 Sansui's "High-Efficiency" interconnects, 2 pair NOS
1980 Sansui GX-100 stereo TT rack (NOS). Took 5 years to find that. Really rare.
& a 'substantial collection' of 1970s Sansui 1970s 'accessories'.

Only item not Sansui
... 2010 NAD C515 BEE CD player. Sounds great. I really like it.

Does that qualify as period correct ?? :)

Last edited:
That's right gotta have tubes. I was thinking you could find out what Sansui had available when those system in the first post were available. Your stuff is NEW, by comparison.

and on the TU-717, do you have the Sansui folded dipole antenna? I know where one is cause I gave it to him. I need to see if it is actually hooked up to a Sansui. I think it is.

The '48 to '64 tube gear. I'm very well aware of it all.

I do appreciate the dipole antenna. :beerchug:

Last edited:
The '48 to '64 tube gear. I'm very well aware of it all.
That would have been The system to post in this thread. I'd like to know what that gear is so I'll check back for your 'new' Sansui system circa 1960s.

Hope this is what your asking for. :)

--

All Sansui tube amps and preamps:

1955-1956

HF-V60 tube mono amplifier

HF-V100 tube mono amplifier (later version) has really high build quality, better than Grommes and 50's Fisher, but a little shy of 50's McIntosh.

PR-330 / PR-333 (later version) mono preamplifiers

Q-3535 - the first stereo amplifier

SP-220 - the first stereo pre-amplifier with 2 channel active crossover built in.

AU-70 - stereo amp

TU-70 - stereo tuner

1965/8

AU-111 'award winning' stereo tube amp.

Now if you wanted a super fantastic tube amp...
1999 AU-111 'Vintage' or 2000 AU-111 G.

Last edited:
The company I later worked for sold all this stuff excluding the Marantz. I would take system 4 . I heard the system any number of times. Depending when the 302's were made they may have had the paper tweeter and midrange, They were not my cup of tea. If the choice had been Symphonys then there would be no issue, except you would need Model 9's instead of a 8B as the 8b just didn't have the power and couldn't come close to a MC240. A 7c is more forward than the warmer C-20, but paired with the AR3 or KLH 7 would be a better selection. The Empire hands down was the best table, even with the funky tone arm.

The company I later worked for sold all this stuff excluding the Marantz. I would take system 4 . I heard the system any number of times. Depending when the 302's were made they may have had the paper tweeter and midrange, They were not my cup of tea. If the choice had been Symphonys then there would be no issue, except you would need Model 9's instead of a 8B as the 8b just didn't have the power and couldn't come close to a MC240. A 7c is more forward than the warmer C-20, but paired with the AR3 or KLH 7 would be a better choice.

I'd be very enthused about the Thorens 124/Mac 240 combo.

Not sure if I should admit this but I don't really have interest in any of the speakers. I am not a fan of AR, EV, Bozak

Back
Top Bottom