Which is your Fav-O-Rite western

I want to add as Honorable Mention the new western by Kevin Costner, Open Range. Duval, as usual was great. The movie was a classic example of how cowboys would stick together, and lay their life on the line, for what they believed in. It looks like Costner may be our only hope to take over where Clint left off, in the making of westerns.

Silverado ....the scenery is just magnificent!...and the score...just makes you want to float around out there...

McLintock....and....The Shootist..... with the Duke

As for Clint...his westerns were great...but Dirty Harry is my ultimate HERO!.... ...even over Capt. Kirk!...lol

We now return you to the favorite western movies....PUNK!

Last edited:
Well, no one mentioned my two:

Nevada Smith
HIgh Noon

and the one where they keep bugging the guy to use his long put away guns (the actor was the capt. in the movie Silent Run..not run silent/Run Deep...also one of my favs)...I cant remember his name...in the flick he ends up torpedoing a jap ship that may be carrying his family)..

I'm with Andy on this one...

My Darling Clementine
all the best westerns were all filmed in black and white!!

Mr Natural said:
I'm with Andy on this one...

My Darling Clementine
all the best westerns were all filmed in black and white!!

That it is and if you want to really mix things up watch that and follow it with Once Upon A Time In The West. Henry Fonda could not have played 2 rolls so opposite in polarity in the same genre. One of the reasons OUTITW didn't go over well in the states IMO.

I thought Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holliday in Tombstone worthy of an Oscar. "I'll be your huckleberry."

WhiteSE said:
Well, no one mentioned my two:

Nevada Smith
HIgh Noon

and the one where they keep bugging the guy to use his long put away guns (the actor was the capt. in the movie Silent Run..not run silent/Run Deep...also one of my favs)...I cant remember his name...in the flick he ends up torpedoing a jap ship that may be carrying his family)..

Glenn Ford, another fine western actor. Can't think of the movie title, but I have seen it. Was it the one where he was a sheep rancher?

after a dinnertime discussion with the wife, we decided on these favoreeteez:

1 - My Darling Clementine
2 - How the West was Won
3 - Little Big Man
4 - The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
5 - The Outlaw Josey Wales

6 - Blazing Saddles - still debating with her as to wether this is really a 'western'

Natch :smoke:

Thatch_Ear said:
Lonesome Dove when watched as a movie is one of the very best things ever put to film. There is enough time for character devlopement and it is held back enough that it doesn't try to express the true horror story that it is. It is many stories entertwined and I feel it portrayed things in a true and honest manner other than the gang rapes, torture etc done by the Comancheros. Honest characters in true settings. That isn't easy to do.

Couldn't gree more. Even read the book which is equally as good.

Paint Your Wagon, a musical comedy is OK except when Clint Eastwood sings.

Terry

TWantiques said:
Paint Your Wagon, a musical comedy is OK except when Clint Eastwood sings.

Terry

And Lee Marvin was any better?
"I was born under a wandering star...." -- Foe

OH no chit Mike!!!...that would sound cool on the Fortes' at about 5 watts!!!.... :banana:

I need to see if Musicmatch has it ....other than that I will keep my eyes open for it localy!!!!....thanks!..... :thmbsp:

Outlaw Josey Wales is tops. Kill Clint's family & burn his homestead...well, payback is a bitch. #1

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tombstone. Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holiday is classic! A calm, educated, articulate man who'll back his friends & outdraw you you every time! Beautiful.

My favorite western? Try this-"Oh, I got spurs that jingle, jangle, jingle/ As I go ridin' merrily along/And they say, "Oh ain't ya glad you're single?"/ And that song ain't so very far from wrong...."-Sandy G.

I like the spaghetti westerns Eastwood did because he more or less introduced the "anti hero" into westerns. For authentic westerns The best I've seen are Monty Walsh-The Lee Marvin version, The Unforgiven-Clint Eastwood and Open Range-Duvall. The gunfight in Open Range and Unforgiven is Hollywood but the rest of the show is pretty accurate as far as the way it was.

The Long Riders
Little Big Man
Blazing Saddles
Silverado

I loved the Lonesome Dove series of books but never saw the TV shows. Did they do the books justice?
The sheriffs character was supposed to be played by Richard Pryor but he was injured about that time, to bad him and gene wilder always worked well together

Back
Top Bottom