Which Pioneer would you choose?

Mark Davis

I have a opportunity to acquire one of the following Pioneer receivers. If you had your pick in which order would you take them. They are listed in no particular order.

1.) PIONEER STEREO RECEIVER MODEL SX-780
2.) PIONEER STEREO RECEIVER MODEL SX-680
3.) PIONEER STEREO RECEIVER MODEL SX-626
4.) PIONEER STEREO RECEIVER MODEL SX-440

I would personally pick the SX-626 just because I don't like the ON-OFF Toggle switch type of the later models, one because of the problems I've heard about them and the lack there of, of proper replacements. That and it looks to be virtually my SX-828 except to have push button switches instead of toggle for some controls.
But, all of that's base on NOT knowing the watts per channel of any of the models and I'd want at least 60 WPC.

60WPC = None of those.

680 would be right out, based upon the inability to get STK modules for that unit - Even the fake ones;

780 would be questionable, for the same reason as above except that aftermarket modules are still available (and it's 45 WPC);

440 - 15WPC, not so great in distortion and other specs;

626 - Just a tick under 30WPC, and similar in performance to the 440.

For what speakers?
Get the 780. Works good, sounds good, reliable, good quality, plenty of power, great bang for the buck, looks nice, in demand, rising value, easy to move out when your done with it.

626 Low power, thick sound.
400 No power, thicker sound.
650 It's all good but to much money for a know to be disposable receiver. Unless you just must have it and know this going in.

All I am not looking at one of these being my main receiver. I am looking at using in a bedroom or Den lhave some Advent/1 that have been refoamed and recapped in great shape presently. Just looking for a second or 3rd entry level vintage receiver.

If those were the choices for a small-room system, it would be between the 780 and 626, in that order. You can colorize the sound of the 780 with the tone controls to some extent. The 626 is likely to have the "warmer" Pioneer sound which may or may not be what you are seeking. If you like the Advent/1s and their presumed slightly soft low frequency response, the extra power of the 45W 780 might be the answer.

Hmmph. I own 3 of those..
The 626: speaker plug issues. Make sure they are back there. Best radio reception of all of them.
The 780 and 680 are both attractive and easy to use. Both mine are rebuilt and I use the 680 for the dining room. I'll leave it to the more qualified for technical analysis.
The sx 440 looks intriguing. Never seen one.
Someone has 4? Do you know their condition? History of usage.?

I think Watthour is right on the money.
I will go even farther and say the Advent and 626 match up will sound dark and muddy with no cure. The 780 will wake up the Advent. A very common and excellent match in the late 70s.
The 780 works well with the Advent, the 626 does not. Not enough power for the dark and hungry Advent.
The Advent is a very good speaker but not with the low end 626. The 626 is a good receiver but not with the Advent. Total mismatch.
I have OLA Advent, 626 and 780.

So would I need a lower wattage speaker for the 626 .

If so any recommendations?

I like the look of the 626 and the 440.

780, biggest engine, most modern tuner section and with the work done by the smart cookies on replacement stks, you can drive it at 10/10ths all year long

780 or 626, depending on speaker efficiency. 626 has slightly better build quality but is down on power.

The 780 as long as both channels work well, even at higher volume.
I have an original 780 and it sound very nice.The only problem with the STK amp modules is they don't handle abuse. But if you attach the speaker wires properly, don't mess with them when it's playing and don't crank it so loud that it's clipping and distorting they work great.

So would I need a lower wattage speaker for the 626 .

If so any recommendations?

I like the look of the 626 and the 440.
No, the Advent is exceptionally thirsty. You need a more efficient speaker for the 626 and a much more efficient speaker for the 440.
The Advent will work but will be hard on those receivers and may not sound good. You may like the sound.
Good luck.

I think Watthour is right on the money.
I will go even farther and say the Advent and 626 match up will sound dark and muddy with no cure. The 780 will wake up the Advent. A very common and excellent match in the late 70s.
The 780 works well with the Advent, the 626 does not. Not enough power for the dark and hungry Advent.
The Advent is a very good speaker but not with the low end 626. The 626 is a good receiver but not with the Advent. Total mismatch.
I have OLA Advent, 626 and 780.
My OLA's sound better and dig deeper connected to my 780 compared to any of my tube amps. To be fair, the biggest tube amp I have is 35wpc. But over all the Advents sound better with the SS equipment I've connected them to.

My OLA's sound better and dig deeper connected to my 780 compared to any of my tube amps. To be fair, the biggest tube amp I have is 35wpc. But over all the Advents sound better with the SS equipment I've connected them to.
I wonder just how many of those 780s did Pioneer build. Smack in the middle of the hay day. I see they're even common on craigslist. They seem to go and go with the promise of eternal life while sounding like brand new.
Maybe they qualify for the most something or another receiver ever built.
I have a 1962 Pioneer 8 watt tube receiver. I'm not letting the OLAs anywhere near it. My 780 isn't afraid of anything. Even my new old AR 4 ohms.

Back
Top Bottom