Which pre-amp for my H/K Citation 12? (Not H/K Citation 11)

Shug451

Sansui Low-Powered Amp Guy
Subscriber
So I'm looking to pickup a preamp that would pair well with a Harman Kardon Citation 12 power amp. I'm wondering if there is something better than a Citation 11 preamp that would look good and sound good. Anyone running their H/K 12 with another preamp they like? Tubes? Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

I bought a 12 new back in the day and used it first with a PAS3X and then a PAT5. I much preferred the PAT5 in every way. Never did try an 11.

So I'm looking to pickup a preamp that would pair well with a Harman Kardon Citation 12 power amp. I'm wondering if there is something better than a Citation 11 preamp that would look good and sound good. Anyone running their H/K 12 with another preamp they like? Tubes? Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

I was really impressed with the Bryston 1B preamp, as well as Forte Model 2. Both should be $500 or less on the used market.

I bought a 12 new back in the day and used it first with a PAS3X and then a PAT5. I much preferred the PAT5 in every way. Never did try an 11.

Interesting. I wonder if tubes just don't pair as well with the 12 or if it was the PAS3X.

Audio Research SP-9. Looks great, sounds very nice. Not so old it needs a complete rebuild. Three versions available. Phono input, too.

I was really impressed with the Bryston 1B preamp, as well as Forte Model 2. Both should be $500 or less on the used market.

Thanks. I wonder how the Bryston would pair with the H/K. I know the Bryston is highly regarded. I've also read it sounds a little sterile. What did you think? I'm used to the warm vintage sound of my Sansui integrated amps...

Thanks. I wonder how the Bryston would pair with the H/K. I know the Bryston is highly regarded. I've also read it sounds a little sterile. What did you think? I'm used to the warm vintage sound of my Sansui integrated amps...
That's why I like the C2, Citation 16 combo. The C2 doesn't change the signature HK sound. I also have a Kenwood C1 paired with a Citation 22, and have gotten really nice results from that combo too. I previously had an Onkyo P306RS paired with the 22 and the 16, and it sounded kind of harsh compared to the Kenwood preamps.

I think the sterility (read clarity and cleanliness) paired properly to a full rich sounding amp would be a nice way to go. I believe the 12 is one of those amps. Buy the Bryston right and you can move on for no cost if you are not happy.

Last edited:

My preconceived impression of Bryston was also that it would be sterile/lean, but it wasn’t at all. It was fairly warm, full, with nice bass and a great soundstage.

One comment though - the 1B was an earlier preamp - mid 80’s I think.

I can’t comment on later models - they could have changed their sound a bit later toward less warm/full. But you’re also less likely to find a later model for the same price as a 1B.

My preconceived impression of Bryston was also that it would be sterile/lean, but it wasn’t at all. It was fairly warm, full, with nice bass and a great soundstage.

Captouch -- What did you run the 1B with?

The Carver C-1 with BillD mods pairs very well with my Citation 12 with Nelson Pass mods.

I have a rebuilt Citation 12, and i use either a PAT 5, also rebuilt, or a Yamaha CX-830, been switching once in awhile, but I will say the Yamaha remote is very nice!

Back
Top Bottom