Which table should I fix?

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi All
Have a couple of turntable choices here, that I am looking to make a silk purse out of. With pics they are:

First my one owner (Me!) Dual 505-2 that I bought brand new in 85. The Grado on there is tired, probably could use a new belt. But still works fine otherwise. Anyone done any mods on these? How good CAN they be? Any cartridge recommendations?

Actually, probably "fix" is the wrong word. They all are basically functional, the Telefunken less so, but need to cartrdige replacement and whatever light mods can be done to them.

Last edited:
Or this...

A Technics SL-3300 DD Auto. Modded by a friend of mine with rca jacks on the back. Wearing a Stanton cartridge on it of some kind, apparentkly with the wrong stylus (VERY low output right now!) Any thoughts on this guy?

This is more of a work in progress. Seems to work ok, excpet for a wicked humm, but it certainly needs a good cleaning/ lubing

big-

since the first one has sentimental value, by all means, fix'er up and keep it running. it is a good looking rig.

the technics is a later model in their long running DD SL-xxxx series that started back in the earliest 70's with the SL-110 and the SL-1100. the 3300 is a no great shakes mid level TT that is as stone reliable as all the SL models. i have an SL-1700 that i bought in 1978 that has never rec'd any form of maintenance or repair, and runs as smoothly and quietly as ever. i think you should do what it takes to get this up and running with a good cart on it, a higher end Shure or AT, as much as you can afford or want to spend, w/o getting goofy on MC cart's and such....

i don't know about you, but that telefunken looks to me like a big PIA, and i would part it out or do whatever to not have to mess with it anymore. i don't think it would reward the effort to make it good

shrinkboy

Originally posted by shrinkboy
big-

since the first one has sentimental value, by all means, fix'er up and keep it running. it is a good looking rig.

I could never see getting rid of it. Probably see if I can find a good deal OM20 or 30 for it and a new belt.

the technics is a later model in their long running DD SL-xxxx series that started back in the earliest 70's with the SL-110 and the SL-1100. the 3300 is a no great shakes mid level TT that is as stone reliable as all the SL models. i have an SL-1700 that i bought in 1978 that has never rec'd any form of maintenance or repair, and runs as smoothly and quietly as ever. i think you should do what it takes to get this up and running with a good cart on it, a higher end Shure or AT, as much as you can afford or want to spend, w/o getting goofy on MC cart's and such....

What do you have in mind when it comes to those cartridges? Any specific models? You ever compared one to a Dual? Which has more potential?

[B
i don't know about you, but that telefunken looks to me like a big PIA, and i would part it out or do whatever to not have to mess with it anymore. i don't think it would reward the effort to make it good

shrinkboy [/B]

I only have 10 bucks into the Tele, so who knows! :)
Erik

I would use the Technics or the Dual. Leave the Tele for display purposes. I had plenty of similar Technics models going through my hands and in all these years I have seen only one with a motor problem.

My vote would be for the one that made the Stereophile Budget Recommended Buy list in the mid '80s... the Dual 505-II. Great sounding table when set up right, will track almost anything short of a record with pieces missing. Warps? Bah, no problem. ULM arm, it's almost impossible to make it skip from warps.

Regards,
Gordon.

I keep leaning towards the Dual too. A guy is gonna get me a price on a new OM20. Should wake it right up, methinks!
Anyone here ever modded a 505?
Thanks
Erik

I'd use the Dual and have your friend add RCA jacks to it. I've added RCA jacks to my Dual CS508 and CS741Q. I've also done it to friend's Dual 704, 721 and 510. It's like upgrading the TT by using a better IC.

Funny you mention that...

I got hold of a 505 that was missing its platter... took the platter from a derelict Sanyo direct-drive table, and modified it to fit on the Dual (on top of the black belt pulley/hub in the Dual). That, with (and/or?) a good thick platter mat, seemed to be quite a bit heavier (and deader) than the original platter. Sounded great... a little more "solid" bass, among other things.

Regards,
Gordon.

Looks like the dual will be the one. OM20 to start. Then we will see where we go from there! :)
Erik

Keep the Dual

I have four Duals now. All older than yours. I would keep it. It appears to be in good condition. Put a new cart on her and away you go. I got a several that are similar to what I had in high school.

The Technics is nothing special. While not bad, its not a step up. I would not do much with the Telefunken unless you are into old stuff. I am and have two 1964 vintage Dual 1009's. Nothing special here but like the Tele they look cool.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom