Which Tonearms made Before 1990 Outperform Sonically Musically anything made in past 20 years?

Audioo

Or has modern technology made vintage tonearms obsolete sonically?

The way it seems that names like Super Expensive Vector Talea Graham Raven pushed vintage tonearms to the curb. Have modern tonearms become that good. I do know some of these newer arms cost a fortune

Not everybody's cup of tea looks wise but the SME 3009 Series III with a top quality high compliance MM cartridge is a real winner and can be found for less than $500 if you're lucky. I had one with a super rare Signet TK 100LC cartridge and I sold them both because it wasn't the way I was going at the time. I must have had rocks in my head:crazy:

Not everybody's cup of tea looks wise but the SME 3009 Series III with a top quality high compliance MM cartridge is a real winner and can be found for less than $500 if you're lucky. I had one with a super rare Signet TK 100LC cartridge and I sold them both because it wasn't the way I was going at the time. I must have had rocks in my head:crazy:

I have been running a Series III since around 1990,when it was on my Thorens TD-125. It is presently mounted on my Michell Gyro SE and wearing an Ortofon 2M Black.

Or has modern technology made vintage tonearms obsolete sonically?
Sonically? Sound Quality?
Your question is based in an area that would be a subjective opinion in responses.

A turntable is made up of components and the arm is only part of it. It's not going to work or sound the same with all cartridges and tables.

That said I don't see anyone kicking the SME Series V arm to the curb, in fact you'll find it on top tear tables to display and show them. It's also been around over 35 years, a common design, easy to fit for a cartridge and or onto a table.

Last edited:
Your question is based in an area that would be a subjective opinion in responses.

A turntable is made up of components and the arm is only part of it. It's not going to work or sound the same with all cartridges and tables.

That said I don't see anyone kicking the SME Series V arm to the curb, in fact you'll find it on top tear tables to display and show them. It's also been around over 35 years, a common design, easy to fit for a cartridge and or onto a table.

Well said! I'll just add that I don't see anyone kicking ANY SME arm to the curb:D In fact,my two TD-125's are still wearing an SME 3009 Series II (later model) and an SME Series II Improved (fixed headshell).

It would take an incredible,and proven,performance improvement to convince me to retire any of these arms.And while the SME V certainly qualifies sonically,it don't quite make it financially:(

One of my greatest blunders was to trade my Kenwood KD600 with a SME 3009 Series III to a buddy for a Nakamichi BX300!

What a dumb ass. The photo isn't of mine.

Attachments

• KD600.JPG
    KD600.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 82

Thanks for the video tour, sweet.

One thing that stands out in there is the high mass of the TT's. No lightweights in there.

Chain of hierarchy roughly I'm betting can be plotted fairly linearly using mass information alone.

I use two of these arms and love them both..... One with a SoundSmith Boheme mi on a TD160 ... the other with a re-tipped Denon 160 mc on a TD124.
Both are absolutely terrific sounding... in my opinion, of course!

Last edited:
My 1977 Rotel RP 3000 came with an arm that many have compared to the SME 3009 , although it's actually S shaped. It's definately the best part of the turntable, which is still going strong after more than 40 years and one owner. I had an Ortafon 2M Red on it, but it seems happier with a generic Goldring Electra new.

Garrard Zero's tonearm, and their conventional tonearm in 990B, 86, and DD75.
Technics DD1200's tonearm.

Totally depends on cart matching and arm mount
Otherwise, it's hard to imagine no improvements since the Olde Days, the ET-2 notwithstanding.

...it's hard to imagine no improvements since the Olde Days,

This. Material of construction, machining capabilities, tonearm/cartridge design interaction knowledge base improvement and numerous other influences have made the good arms today better than the arms of yesteryear. The Magnepan arm is good but there is better out there now, but maybe not for what one can buy a Unitrac for these days. I just don't think there is anything then that can compete with the best of today or why are they making new stuff??

This. Material of construction, machining capabilities, tonearm/cartridge design interaction knowledge base improvement and numerous other influences have made the good arms today better than the arms of yesteryear. The Magnepan arm is good but there is better out there now, but maybe not for what one can buy a Unitrac for these days. I just don't think there is anything then that can compete with the best of today or why are they making new stuff??

Because they stopped making the old good stuff?

Back
Top Bottom