Who buys vinyl?

Google......Fortune Magazine Vinyl !!!!!

Get the real scoop.....listing after listing of the same thing of who is buying the most vinyl !!!

Here in Tacoma on sixth street there aren’t any older people seen much in those record stores and they are always restocking....so people take a deep breath and do some reading.

War....Why Can’t We Be Friends

Google......Fortune Magazine Vinyl !!!!!

Get the real scoop.....listing after listing of the same thing of who is buying the most vinyl !!!

Here in Tacoma on sixth street there aren’t any older people seen much in those record stores and they are always restocking....so people take a deep breath and do some reading.

War....Why Can’t We Be Friends

Go to high voltage in the middle of a week day and there are a bunch of grey haired guys in there...

I have learned in research that one source is not enough to make a valid assessment. There are many factors that have to be taken in order to arrive at prediction. As well, there are many ways to evaluate the end result after the data is in. Take all this into consideration before you make a sweeping generalization about who buys the vinyl media.

Q

Last edited:
My friend recently posted a Facebook meme that said:

2% of people control everything
3% are willing servants of the 2%
5% are awake
90% are asleep

The 2% want to keep the 5% from waking up the 90%

I replied that everyone, from university professors to die hard KKK members, think they are in the 5%.
Because any particular person or member of a group think they are in the five percent would not affect the veracity of the percentage, assuming accuracy in the percentages. Many of the ninety percent deemed to be asleep would think they are awake, with some thinking being awake is not caring, others making a part the whole... being on a tangent that seems to explain everything.

jCondor you got many record shows that are in your area? I always enjoy the shows but it might be just me have been going for so long nice to shoot the breeze, kick around who is playing where and all while looking thru some very nice recordings just good to be around people who appreciate the same style of listening as me. Learned a lot about what works for dif people as far as styles of music. They always light up when they find what they are looking for be it Jazz, Blues, Country, Pop or classical the list goes on.
Is you or aint you my............... on the radio very nice.
Canton

Ok
Today
Ĺi bought frampton comes alive $2
And... actually nice orig.
America $1
I do not know what it is but
America is okay sometimes i guess
And one more .
Al stewart. $1. Another copy
There is a opera box set i think i will get$5

I had very few records as a kid being born in 73. Now that I'm done with my partying years where I wouldn't want to sit and listen to music at home I now find sitting and actually LISTENING to music enjoyable and I find vinyl to be the way I like to sit and listen. I'll plug the ipod or phone through a stereo while I'm doing dishes and cleaning the house or when I want background noise.

I am 26, I buy vinyl and have invested heavily into my audio systems and turntables. I feel bad that I am lumped into the group of people that buy records because it is "hip", but so it goes. I actually got my first table before the craze started, then as time went on got more interested as things started to take off.

No need to feel bad. Not sure which group I'm with. I don't officially hit middle aged for another 2 years (starts at 40 right?).

For the last 4 years I spent time trying to improve my two vinyl setups (only 1 see's regular use. Nice to have spares though). I generally saw far larger improvements in sound quality with vinyl than digital content. That all changed when I bought a DAC in the same price range as my main turntable (before even factoring in cartridge, SUT and phono stage costs). The Gieseler Groß DAC allows my digital content to trade blows with my vinyl rig being better in some areas, the same in others.

Still, when you really want to relax it's hard to beat putting an LP on. Nothing sounds as open as vinyl.... Having said that my vinyl rips through the DAC are even better having had all the low level surface noise filtered out.

Anyways, I love both formats and am happy to have both in my life. If I hadn't experienced the initial improvements with my first cheap turntable I'd never have been able to progress to the (far) better sounding system I have today vs the multiple sideways steps I experienced using modern AVR's and speakers. I was perpetually disappointed, never able to approach what I perceived as better sound quality of my younger years. I'm delighted with where I'm at.

Vinyl is magic. I can have everything I want streaming through tidal HiRez to my mimby and it sounds great and I like it. I like it. But I don't love it. At the end if the day vinyl is for music lovers. It requires attention and dedication to the finer details. It's not for everyone and that's ok. Digital is fantastic in this day and age but to me vinyl is seeing the Mona Lisa rather than hanging a superb copy on your wall. There's no winners and losers though. We're all in a good spot.

61 on Sunday

0912170900.jpg
vinyl.jpg

Who buys vinyl?

Those who don't move very often! :rflmao:

I moved two years ago. Hired movers for everything except my audio gear and my vinyl collection. I did that myself. That was work.

I still buy vinyl but I have been finding nice jazz CDs at much better prices. I see as many young people at records stores as I do us middle aged boomers. Especially in cities and near colleges, then I see more younger people buying vinyl and turntables.

Last edited:
Turntables/records were "hip" in the 70's, too. Status was often based on what Stereo brands of gear you had. Don't take offence. Many here are former hipsters.

Well in the 1970's records were cool because it was the main format for music they didn't have CD's, iPhones, streaming, like they do now. Their was records, tape, and live.

I have been buying vinyl since I was a teen, mostly new, until about 20 years ago. There was a time when buying new was pretty difficult unless you lived in a large city or mail order catalogue. For a while it was CD's mostly new for me, but I always had a turntable for all my records that I owned. I would buy used records at garage sales, and thrifts until the internet became a useful source. For a while when records were almost being given away and up until about two years ago, I would buy a lot of used both records and CD's. as they were cheap. Now I don't buy many CD's and the number of record buys has decreased due to the supply has slowed down. Now I mostly buy new records or select used records from Discogs, which varies from month to month. I am a hopeless romantic and like the finer things of the past, so records are played quite often, but I do love the sound of a good CD as classical music is very dynamic and with no surface noise a CD is really good, and the bass is IMO far better with digital sources.

I went to a couple of record shops yesterday.
I purposely kept an eye on the other patrons. Who IS buying vinyl?

It broke down to what it usually looks like...8 or 10 males--40 to 60 years old, 3 or 4 males--20 to 30 years old, one with bored girlfriend in tow. One with a backpack and earbuds, bouncing from one rack to the other.

Seemed like most of the older guys were not finding anything to buy. One fellow talked with the clueless counter guy about some record he was in search of for nearly 5 minutes. I know because I was ready to pay and was hovering behind him.

A couple of 30 something ladies quickly came through, it was around lunchtime.

I spent about $100 on 2 sealed reissues and 3 used records.

In the 2 hours, I was in 2 different stores (a block apart) I saw maybe two other people buy records. A lot of lookie-loos.
I even recommended to a couple of the other 50 something guys to check out the other store around the corner.

Granted, the slection was a little thin, but I found a couple of things I'd been looking for AND an original issue Sun Ra I never thought I'd own.

Who's buying vinyl? Not many on that day.

Granted, this is far from a scientific observation, but a typical week day record run for me.

I'm happy to see younger people in the shops.
Go by during an "in-store" and you'll see a majority of 20 somethings.

That Sun Ra was dated on the price sticker from January 2018.
So I know they aren't looking for the same stuff that I am.

Back
Top Bottom