Who buys vinyl?

I’m 70 and still buy records, both new and used. Also ask for new records for Christmas, birthday and fathers’ day, etc. I bought two records at a yard sale this morning: original sound track to Porgy & Bess and the Dukes of Dixieland vol. 2, both near mint. I don’t do yard sales much anymore, but the grand kids wanted to go, so....

Well in the 1970's records were cool because it was the main format for music they didn't have CD's, iPhones, streaming, like they do now. Their was records, tape, and live.

I have been buying vinyl since I was a teen, mostly new, until about 20 years ago. There was a time when buying new was pretty difficult unless you lived in a large city or mail order catalogue. For a while it was CD's mostly new for me, but I always had a turntable for all my records that I owned. I would buy used records at garage sales, and thrifts until the internet became a useful source. For a while when records were almost being given away and up until about two years ago, I would buy a lot of used both records and CD's. as they were cheap. Now I don't buy many CD's and the number of record buys has decreased due to the supply has slowed down. Now I mostly buy new records or select used records from Discogs, which varies from month to month. I am a hopeless romantic and like the finer things of the past, so records are played quite often, but I do love the sound of a good CD as classical music is very dynamic and with no surface noise a CD is really good, and the bass is IMO far better with digital sources.

I resemble your remarks! Went down a very similar path to my music enjoyment over the years. Now nearing retirement I plan on listening to lot more of every format.

My recent addition of some new ELAC speakers have added a significant improvement to my overall listening experience.

Well I thought of this thread when I got a call earlier today, with some info about some records for sale. I ended up with three tubs full, over 100 records and box sets. Most of them are still sealed but are older, and mostly classical imports. A lot of Isaac Stern, Yo Yo Ma, and Oistrakh, as I picked up a lot of violin and Cello stuff. A couple of new still sealed rock as well, one was CCR. It was a strange lot as lot's of older rock in the mix as well, Hendrix, a Blue Cheer, Stones, but most of those were in a condition which is below what I will buy. I have come to the point if its not mint, I don't want it, I have to much now, and even if someone was to give it to me, room for more music is at a premium, so I don't want anything unless it is prime and in perfect condition. I have been going thru my shelves and picking out a lot of records that I once purchased and I am thrifting it for the tax write off.

In the past this would have been pretty common, but in the last few years finding multiple boxfuls is getting rare. Oh well best off as I wouldn't know where to put them if it continued at that rate. So off to play a few, I just slit the wrap on a nice release.

Several days ago, came across several "unopen/sealed" Time-Life box sets $1.00 @ of classical music, let them for the other searcher guy beside me....:)

I resemble your remarks! Went down a very similar path to my music enjoyment over the years. Now nearing retirement I plan on listening to lot more of every format.

My recent addition of some new ELAC speakers have added a significant improvement to my overall listening experience.

my approach is a bit different.

i am on a mission to rip my entire collection

it will all fit on 3tb

just put it in your pocket and bam, 4,000 plus albums wherever you are

had a buddy do this^^^^and then he sold off most of his collection, maybe 400ish records. Then his iPod or whatever it was he put them on crashed.
He was downsizing because of a cross country move.
I ended up with his drum set from him.

had a buddy do this^^^^and then he sold off most of his collection, maybe 400ish records. Then his iPod or whatever it was he put them on crashed.
He was downsizing because of a cross country move.
I ended up with his drum set from him.

illegal to sell a ripped cd, so i would not do that
also, it is silly to not have two back ups, we all have two pockets;)

illegal to sell a ripped cd, so i would not do that
also, it is silly to not have two back ups, we all have two pockets;)
I think he meant he sold off his vinyl collection after he digitized it, and then loaded it on his iPod. That's the way I read it.

No quite the contrary. I feel that vinyl is on a resurgence. It isn't a major resurgence where it will climb to the top of music's media, displacing CDs and MP3s. But take a look at Google, Ebay, Amazon, even BestBuy, and you will see a healthy selection of turntables and audio gear.

Vinyl is a mysterious media where the music seems to become three dimensional. I'm not sure it will ever get back to the point of music as it was in the '60s and '70s, but as far as I'm concerned vinyl is here to stay.

I ran across a story that rather surprised me.

"An ICM poll in April revealed that almost 50% of people who bought a vinyl album the previous month had yet to listen to it. The poll also found that 41% have a turntable they never use, while 7% of those who purchase vinyl don’t own a record player."

And it seems middle aged men are buying vinyl not millenniums who I thought were responsible for this resurgence. .

Is vinyl's demise as inevitable as the CD?

I had thought not.
I owb over 10,000 lp's...l often buy new reissues to see if the remasters sound as good as originals. Some do..some don't. The Beatles and latest Elton John vinyl sound better than original. I uae a Linn LP 12 and a Voyd Reference at my Vegas home. My NYC apt. I use a modified Teac TN 300

No quite the contrary. I feel that vinyl is on a resurgence. It isn't a major resurgence where it will climb to the top of music's media, displacing CDs and MP3s. But take a look at Google, Ebay, Amazon, even BestBuy, and you will see a healthy selection of turntables and audio gear.

Vinyl is a mysterious media where the music seems to become three dimensional. I'm not sure it will ever get back to the point of music as it was in the '60s and '70s, but as far as I'm concerned vinyl is here to stay.
I too think it is here to stay. If there is mystery involved I think it lives in the touch it feel it handle it mechanical aspect of using it... it's neat, fun and involving.

I too think it is here to stay. If there is mystery involved I think it lives in the touch it feel it handle it mechanical aspect of using it... it's neat, fun and involving.
I agree wholeheartedly, playing records is a wholly immersive experience whereas playing songs off of a phone is just twiddling your thumbs. :D

Me being A lazy cheap old guy I mainly buy used C.D,s for A dollar or three.Sitting in my lazy boy with A drink and food all I need is A changer and Remote....Gave my bro my table and vinyl years ago... thanks

I got into vinyl in the early '90s, when I was still a kid. I didn't know of any used record stores in my area, and given the fact that the CD had recently killed off the LP in the retail marketplace, there might not have yet been many. Nowadays, I'm aware of a fair number of them in existence, offering the kind of selection I could've only dreamed of back in the day. At one of the local stores, I've seen people of all ages; sure, there are a number of older customers, but I see younger people in there all the time, maybe not as young as I was when I started collecting, but probably not a whole lot older.
-Adam

recently sold off 6 turntables and a bunch of extra audio equipment. Moved and didn't have the space. Down to my 1200mk2 and another semi auto p mount Technics. The only thing audio I still look at is speakers. As for LPs, my collection is holding right around 1300 or so. I listen when I can but truth be told there are times where life happens and I may not spin a record for a couple of weeks.

I am 26, I buy vinyl and have invested heavily into my audio systems and turntables. I feel bad that I am lumped into the group of people that buy records because it is "hip", but so it goes. I actually got my first table before the craze started, then as time went on got more interested as things started to take off.
Good for you, I'm happy to not lump you in to that category. You sound like you're a true enthusiast.

I started buying vinyl around the age of 12, I'm now just a bit older and still adding to my collection. I buy used and new, eBay is a great place to shop for me. I normally find what I'm looking for and truly satisfied with 99.9% of my purchases. If I buy new I look for 180 - 200 gram remastered editions of bands or artists I really enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom