Who owned cars with multiple carburetors ?

MaxxVolume

Lunatic Member
A friend and I were talking the other night about how fuel injection has become such a commonplace thing these days, and no one even mentions carburetors any more.
Was just thinking about the more interesting cars that I`ve owned in years past, and how many of them had multi-carb engines. Here`s a few:

1958 Chevy Impala ragtop (my first car !), had a 348 with tri-power
1966 Pontiac Grand Prix, with a 421 HO (High Output) tri-power
1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport, Super Wildcat engine with two AFB 4-barrels
2 Corvair Corsas (a `65 and a `66), both with the 4-carb option
`55 Chevy 210, heavily built 327 with a tunnel ram and twin Holleys

How about you old gearheads out there ? :)

A friend and I were talking the other night about how fuel injection has become such a commonplace thing these days, and no one even mentions carburetors any more.
Was just thinking about the more interesting cars that I`ve owned in years past, and how many of them had multi-carb engines. Here`s a few:

1958 Chevy Impala ragtop (my first car !), had a 348 with tri-power
1966 Pontiac Grand Prix, with a 421 HO (High Output) tri-power
1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport, Super Wildcat engine with two AFB 4-barrels
2 Corvair Corsas (a `65 and a `66), both with the 4-carb option
`55 Chevy 210, heavily built 327 with a tunnel ram and twin Holleys

How about you old gearheads out there ? :)

Not me but may I say that you sir have owned some very cool cars!

The slant six in my truck only has a weenie 1bbl. (Hangs head in shame.):biggrin:

I'm young enough that most of the high performance cars with multiple carbs were already hard to find collectables and uber expensive by the time I started driving.:(

My dad had the 1965 Riviera with the Wildcat motor. Quite a ride. I've got a TR7 with dual Strombergs. Dual carbs are trivially easy to tune correctly if you know how and have a piece of rubber hose. For a while I had big SUs on it, but went back to the Strombergs. I always wanted the dual side draft Weber 40DCOE conversion but could never afford it. I suspect not many people ever got that properly jetted and working properly.

66 Ford Fairlane GT, 427 FE stroked to 460ci with a 428 crank , 12 to 1 compression I had a 3 duce (900cfm) setup from a 406 FE on it. 602 lift cam, 110 race fule and drove it daily on the street.

Same car, 427 FE stroked to 460ci, 12 to 1 compresion duel 4V at 1300 cfm, Swapped the cam for a 735 lift roller, Danny B timing belt drive system, 110 race fuel, while that engine sounded oh so nasty I still drove it on the street daily.

Now you know why I'm 4-2-7, I have a few of them

I've owned many muscle cars over the years, including a '64 Chevy Impala 409, a '68 Camaro SS, '68 and '69 Olds 4-4-2s among others. But the only car I ever had with multiple carburetors was a '69 Corvair Monza 164/140 hp. Pretty fun car.

Last edited:
We had one fella in town that was a wizard with multi carbs.If he couldn't get them right they didn't belong on your motor then.Me I was good with bikes and snowmobiles ,I could always tune them great just by ear but never owned a multi carbed car just your standard holley,motocraft,rochester carbs.I have just one non small lawn/garden carb and that's on my 1939 22.5 hp evinrude opposed twin outboard motor with racing lower unit.

I've got a Vacuum balancer with the red ball that you hold up to the sidedrafts! Uni- something, maybe Sin. Used it on Volvo's , MGB's , TR7, & Jag as I helped others & I learned how to adjust the mixture on those SU's & Strombergs so they got great MPG along with proper running.

I Had a 1970 MB 250 with the dual carb (2x2Barrel) 2.5L L6 OHC that ran really nice with plenty of power & never had to adjust the carbs!

Last edited:
I don't have anything exotic; only a '65 Barracuda I that I put a modest 318 with a Holley Six Pack into. On the right day, with enough tire, I can just about pull the front wheels.

Sunbeam Alpine here, formerly with dual downdrafts. Now sporting a Weber, which works much better but isn't as cool as the dual Zenith Stromberg CD 150s. Lots of people run DCOEs on them but many have jetting problems. I think the DCOEs are running at the bottom of their weight class for the standard 1725 Alpine engine, so adjustment gets picky.

Going down the FI path soon on a standby engine. Should be fun!

Chip

The slant six in my truck only has a weenie 1bbl. (Hangs head in shame.):biggrin:

I'm young enough that most of the high performance cars with multiple carbs were already hard to find collectables and uber expensive by the time I started driving.:(
would that be a dod

Would that be a dodge with a 231 CI? That was one of the best motors built

1963 Mercury Monterey S55 factory 4spd. Z code 390, 406 heads, short cast iron headers, 427 crank, 3 Holley 2 barrel carbs on factory aluminum manifold.

BTW these early big block Fords and Mercs with original 4 spd transimissions only came with manual steering and brakes, quite the handful with 400 plus HP and 4000 lbs.

Currently have 1971 Porsche 911 with two triple throat Webers, basically six one barrel carbs, pretty fun.

I didn't own it, But a guy would hang out with us at Fosters Freeze in LA, 68 GTX, 426, With dual AFB's. Car was pretty nasty. Built his own manifold. Remember he was an older dude, Who knew more than a hotshot 20yo, Lol.

Back
Top Bottom