Who owned cars with multiple carburetors ?

I had a 1970 Ford Capri, they were sold as Fords everywhere apart from the US. It was a lowly 1300GT when I bought it, but I did a bunch of upgrades to it, including the engine. I built a hot "Pinto" motor with my own two hands. It used a 205 block and steel crank from a Sierra Cosworth, overbored to 2.1 litres, big valve ported head, 285 degree Piper camshaft, dual Dellorto 45 DHLA carbs on HiFlow intake manifold, a tubular exhaust manifold with wrap, and a two box exhaust system. It would idle kind of roughly, banging and popping, but once the revs went up, it used to fly. It would rev off the tacho at 7000rpm. As well as the engine modifications, I added a five speed gearbox, and had the interior re-trimmed in blue leather, fitting Recaro seats instead of the standard ones.

Lee.

white70capri 007.jpg

white70capri 002.jpg

White Capri June 4th 044.jpg

Was allergic to carbs...the multiples? Outta the question! A long block fix was as far as I would go with the vert top adjustment right behind.

Used to admire the carb guys. Still do. Today, either clean jets or replace. No science involved.

Q

Austin Healey with triple amals was a fun thing to drive ...

And if we're counting motorcycles, had a Honda CBX with SIX carbs on it. Synching that bad boy was an all day project.

122-1206-05-o%2Bcylinders-carbs%2B.jpg

Brief stint in HS with 70 Charger 440 six pack. This led to a few traffic violations. $1500 in 1977 money...... before the Porsche “bubble” I had a 73 911 t with Weber 40 IDAs. A good friend was adept at keeping them in tune before I traded that for my turbo.

I have a Rochester 2bl on my Searay 205. Had to clean/rebuild it last year.

And if we're counting motorcycles, had a Honda CBX with SIX carbs on it. Synching that bad boy was an all day project.

I still remember the day I finally got the carbs synced properly on my CB750 that I had gotten second hand. COMPLETELY different animal once that was correct.

not I, but dad had a built SCJ with 2 4bbls and a tri-power gto on his goat farm. me, just bikes, the funnest being my ole magna collection.

I would give honorable mention to his 69 225 with a 430 and a single 4bbl that drank like it had 2 or more 4bbls....

1963 Mercury Monterey S55 factory 4spd. Z code 390, 406 heads, short cast iron headers, 427 crank, 3 Holley 2 barrel carbs on factory aluminum manifold.

BTW these early big block Fords and Mercs with original 4 spd transimissions only came with manual steering and brakes, quite the handful with 400 plus HP and 4000 lbs.
You could definitely get PS and PB with a Z code/4-gear. R and Q codes with their higher RPM capability may have been another can of worms. I'll have to check that out ...

I had a 1970 Ford Capri, they were sold as Fords everywhere apart from the US. It was a lowly 1300GT when I bought it, but I did a bunch of upgrades to it, including the engine. I built a hot "Pinto" motor with my own two hands. It used a 205 block and steel crank from a Sierra Cosworth, overbored to 2.1 litres, big valve ported head, 285 degree Piper camshaft, dual Dellorto 45 DHLA carbs on HiFlow intake manifold, a tubular exhaust manifold with wrap, and a two box exhaust system. It would idle kind of roughly, banging and popping, but once the revs went up, it used to fly. It would rev off the tacho at 7000rpm. As well as the engine modifications, I added a five speed gearbox, and had the interior re-trimmed in blue leather, fitting Recaro seats instead of the standard ones.

Lee.

View attachment 1087683

View attachment 1087689

View attachment 1087691
Too cool. My first car was a '73 V6 2600cc Capri. I ended up lowering it, but never modded the engine other than using an MSD ignition. Moved the battery to the trunk and usually had the back seat out to save some weight. The rear wheel wells had the upper lip pulled out for wider tires. I ended up molding in a rear spoiler and had a front spoiler too. It went through a couple of repaints, two of them I did. I'll have to scan a picture of it. Great car! Sold it to finance finishing the 240Z.

Complete with Fuzzy Dice!

Lee.

View attachment 1087683

View attachment 1087689

View attachment 1087691

You could definitely get PS and PB with a Z code/4-gear. R and Q codes with their higher RPM capability may have been another can of worms. I'll have to check that out ...
Not on early cars like the 63, it wasn't until the C6 Auto trans came out that you could get HP motors with a auto trans. 1966 and that's the alphanumerical designation, C= the 60s decade 6=the year. So by the time Ford put out the 7 liter engine 66 Galaxy & GT/ GTA Fairlane's you could get it both in auto or 4speed. In 67 the mustangs got a bigger engine compartment and GT 390s with the C6 as well as the Fairlanes

As for me I would never put the early PS in a fast car as I want the solid feel of manual steering. But with a auto trans you can't rock the gears like a 4speed parking it with manual, so a 4speed also helps steering the car at slow speed. But I wouldn't want squirrely steering at 130mph

Last edited:
R and Q codes with their higher RPM capability may have been another can of worms.
BTW, in 66 the 428 was born and came in the Tunderbird with the C6 and Police Interceptor also had the C6. Q code. by the time Ford made their own 428 CJ it was 1968, they got rid of the 427 R code and transferred that designation to the Supper Cobra Jet as the R code = Race. In 68 there was one more 427 and the only one with a hydraulic lifter block W code = weak ass :p

would that be a dod

Would that be a dodge with a 231 CI? That was one of the best motors built
It ain't no "dod" what ever the hell that is.:rolleyes:
Dud? NO.
Dog? A little.:biggrin:
It still managed to tow a couple lighter vehicles through the mountains of western PA/MD, and gets 18-19 MPG empty.

Last edited:
4-2-7 - And here I thought that referred to Chevy's. Oh well.

Dad had a Pontiac Catalina wagon w/389 w/tri-power, that I learned to drive in.

Myself, first multi-carb car was a '67 Porsche 912 w/split shaft Solex's.

When we were a lot younger, my brother and I would fool around with the early 'Vette mechanical injection units. He put a '62 unit on his Cameo pickup which he had when he got out of high school. It had a three speed w/OD trans and would get really good gas mileage when we went go karting up in Oxnard.
Other than the Porsche, all my cars have had one carb or FI (both mechanical and electronic) on them.

Back
Top Bottom