Who owned cars with multiple carburetors ?

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by MaxxVolume, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:00 PM.

1. jdurbin1

jdurbin1 Tandberg enthusiast Subscriber

Owned and still own my '68 Triumph TR250, which has dual 1.75" Stromberg carbs stock but should end up with larger (2") dual SU's by the time it's finished.

John

nedseg likes this.
  2. I LIKE MUSIC

I LIKE MUSIC Super Member

My doctor told me that I needed to reduce my carbs, so I purchased a vehicle with fuel injection.

Okay, way, way back in the day, I added a second carb (1bbl) to my dually Dodge truck with the 82 HP flat head six. I was sure that it made more power. My adapter plate left a lot to be desired, but hey I was just a kid and my truck had dual carbs.

John James likes this.
  3. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

I had some old Volvo's with dual carbs, SU's I think.

4. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

I see on the bay there,s lots of those balancer sets.

5. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected

I ran dual Edelbrock 1406 carbs on my Olds’ for years. Very easily tuned for the street. I converted it to EFI as a project in my 2nd book and never looked back. Dual 900cfm throttle bodies.

6. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad Subscriber

Had an old (circa '60) Alfa Romeo equipped w/ two single-venturi Weber sidedraft carbs. They were a bitch to keep in synch. I learned enouhg to know that I would never attempt dual carbs (e.g., 2 x 4bbl) on any of my muscle car builds.

7. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

When I was in high school my 1973 SuperBeetle had twin Weber 34ICT carbs. Its a single throat, 34mm carb.

They were very tired and it wouldn't pass emissions because the fat idle mix required to overcome the throttle shaft slop but it ran down the road fine. No chokes, it was a miserable SOB in the winter but as my only car I had to put up with it. The crappy linkage that would move itself around at random and require re-syncing the throttles was an added funtime bonus.

8. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

My old mans vw stationwagon would vapor lock on very hot days ,how about yours gadget73?

9. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

Never had problems with that. My mom told me stories about hers doing the same thing but mine was fine. It actually ran its best on hot swampy days which makes no sense at all.

Every now and then I kinda think I would like to own another but I don't think I'd fit into one very well anymore. When I was a kid we had a Manx dune buggy that I really liked though. I could probably satisfy my air cooled VW desire with one of those.