Who still uses vintage Magnavox CD players?

gearhound

Lunatic Member
Hello audio addicts!!
I'm wondering if other people on this forum are using 1980's vintage Magnavox CD players?
I bought my Magnavox CDB460 CD player new in March of 1988.
Very punchy and dynamic, plus it will track anything!
I am still using it to this day...........................

Steve :thmbsp: :music:

I had one years ago, well, when it was new. forget the model number, but those with the Philips built Belgian transport were pretty highly thought of.

I have a Magnavox FD-3040 hooked up to the RS-1060. It's dated Nov. 1984 and it also has a heatsink and gain controlls in the rear. It still sounds nice today.

I have an 80's Magnavox 5 disc that gets regular use. Has always worked perfectly and now is better than ever as it got some nice Schottky diodes in the power supply and some decent caps in the output stage. Made a big difference!

I have 1 that I use when I do us a CD. Can't remember the #. I also have another but it does not seem to like a couple of cds I play. No problem with them in the other player or car.

I had a CDB460 back when they were new. Also did the upgrades from an article in Audio, I believe, where you rebiased the opamps and replaced a few caps, etc. Seems to me that the author was Walt Jung, too.

Anyway, it melted down in a house fire.........bummer.

Wish I still had it. It was bullet proof.

Cheers,

David

I had one years ago, well, when it was new. forget the model number, but those with the Philips built Belgian transport were pretty highly thought of.

Was that the one that the transport with the laser eye came out along with the drawer every time you open it?

There's a Magnavox cdp at a local pawn, I can't recall the model # though. Maybe I should pick it up. Were there models to avoid or what exactly am I looking for in one?

Buddy of mine had the original top loading Magnavox in use up to a few years ago.

Would that be the FD-1000 CD player reviewed in Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/284philips/

b5941jz8.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still using my original Magnavox; can't remember the model number but it works great. The only other vintage that outdoes it is my Marantz CD-54 which I understand has the Philips transport as well. Great vintage units and built like tanks with heat sinks and all!!!!!

[raises hand] A whole slew of em.....FD-1040SL c1985, FD-1000, FD-2020 and FD-3030. I also have a B&O CD-X, which is really an FD-2020 in drag....does that count? :)

I have a FD-2040 (1984) in my office system, and a FD-3030 (1985?)that works fine, except there's no audio output.

The FD-2040 tracks through scratches with just a 'pop!' in the output when other (read: later) players would be collapsing into stuttering blobs of gelatin.

The FD-3030 goes one step further by tracking through both audio tracks and scratches of any size without any output, or accompanying audio degradation, whatsoever. Its resolute silence is stunning when compared to the unnerving 'music' being issued from lesser players. Some, though, might term its lack of output 'disappointing'. :D

Does a CDB 692 from 1992 count? It's the only one I've ever had. Got it at Costco for 1/2 the price of a Sony at the time.

A couple months ago I bought a Magnavox 745 changer. I think it was early nintys. Someone was claiming it was the shiznet, so I said what the heck.
Audio quality was quite good but there was just an odd stamp on the sound.
On further listening this may be a giant killer. Images with the best of them.

Here's my list:Belguim made- CDB 480(1543 DAC), CDB 650(1541),CDB 460(1541),CDB 610(1543),CDB 560(1541),FD2040(1541).Oddballs:CDB 698(?) Austria,CDB 470(?) ? Good transports ,very good sound,don't have any w/mods.

Back
Top Bottom