Who still uses vintage Magnavox CD players?

Have a CDB 471 "Manufactured January 1988 Made in Belgium" CL find in the bullpen. Read it has the Phillips tray and Giant Killer chip inside, so i drove 5 minutes from work to grab it. Plays CDRs fine and i need to put it back in rotation.

I have 2 CD80s and a CD50 that each sound great... They sure are heavy.. Sure wish I could find a remote for them..

I've an FD-2040 in my pile-o'-stufff needing TLC that I'm having a hard time taking it seriously enuff to deal with. Other than the heavy 'brick outhouse' construction can anyone suggest any good reason I should bother ?

I have one as well. I have spent some hours on it and I still can't get it to read TOC. Not sure if it worth spending more effort...

Funny you should ask . . .

I started my Magnavox CD adventure a few years ago when I stumbled upon a:

1. CDB610 in an estate sale. I nabbed it for a measly $2.50. It was dusty and needed a cleaning. No remote. But it sounded really good. Much better than my Marantz Legacy piece by far. Have to find the original remote some time.

2. Then at another estate sale I found a CDB650. Again no remote. But then again, at $20.00, I couldn't resist. Cosmetically and sonically great. Why would anyone let them go??

3. My last, and admittedly favorite find, is the FD3030 that I recently found, at, you guessed it, an estate sale. This one was just $15.00. Looks sweeeetttt and works great as well. The most analog sounding player of the three. And a way cool loading tray. A heavy beast at close to 20 lbs.

I will continue my search for Maggies, will report soon. . . . . .

Cheers

I've got some old Magnavox players, too:

1) A CDB 470, made in May of 1988. It's got a cheap look to it, actually kind of ugly. Some of the green LED segments in the display no longer work. It looks like it was probably an entry level model in it's day. But it plays flawlessly and just keeps going. It's got the swing arm mechanism that many old Magnavox players have.

2) A CDB 500, made sometime in 1990 (I think, haven't used it in a while). Better looking than the CDB 470. The platter and lens come out with the tray, making lens cleaning a piece of cake. It too has the swing arm mechanism.

3) Some 5 disc carousel changer model, don't remember the model number. Also made sometime in or around 1990. It's stashed away in my basement somewhere, so I haven't seen it in a while. It's non-functional; the tray doesn't come out and it makes some unhealthy noises trying to open. I was going to scrap it for parts, but I might just see if I can get it going again. :scratch2:

I have to add to the collection, as i have found a CDB-473 for $10.00.

Lighter, weight wise, but still sounding like classic Magnavox.

I now have four . . . and still searching . . . :D:D:D:D:D

Cheers

Hello audio addicts!!
I'm wondering if other people on this forum are using 1980's vintage Magnavox CD players?
I bought my Magnavox CDB460 CD player new in March of 1988.
Very punchy and dynamic, plus it will track anything!
I am still using it to this day...........................

Steve :thmbsp: :music:

I don't blame you a bit. I still have my vintage JVC XL V261 that I bought new in 1993. It plays and sounds very good. I like it a lot.

I just received a 1988 Realistic CD 1600 yesterday, I paid $22 shipped for it. It's in awesome condition and sounds nice. I think it's a keeper.

My motorcycle is a 1983 Honda CM 450A Hondamatic.

I just bought a Magnavox db-502 a week ago. I looked at it sitting on the thrift store shelf with it's plastic fantastic face and it's chintzy little display and thought, yeah right. then I picked it up and the drawer slid out and I saw that swing arm laser that I've read so much about, so I bought it. for 5.99, why not? it's ugly as sin though. and barely a screw in it's all plastic body. but amazingly, it sounds great.

Just recently received my FD2040 from a fellow AK'er.

Thanks Williwoods

Can't wait to open the packaging and try it out.

Just love those vintage Philips based Maggies. Here's what I have so far:

1. CDB610
2. CDB650
3. CDB473
4. FD3030
5. FD2040

And I'm still on the lookout . . . :D:D:D

Cheers

Last edited:
Just recently received my FD2040 from a fellow AK'er.

Thanks Williwoods

Can't wait to open the packaging and try it out.

Just love those vintage Philips based Maggies. Here's what I have so far:

1. CDB610
2. CDB650
3. CDB473
4. FD3030
5. FD2040

And I'm still on the lookout . . . :D:D:D

Cheers

I've also added a CDB502 for $5.00.

Saweettt collection . . . :banana::banana::banana:

Cheers

I've got a nice sounding (Belgium made) Philips CD350 in my bedroom system: no issues so far. It looks like this one (picture taken from the net):

compactera-philips-cd-350-buscada-por-audiofilos_MLA-F-4605431510_072013.jpg

Bought a CDB a week ago and finally hooked it up and hey! it sounds pretty good!! It does have some noise playing the first few tracks and then quiets up so all is fine. Anyone have an owners manual by chance for one of these that they can make a copy of for me? Be glad to pay of course :)

Also found that my remote for one of my Philips 5 disc changers controls this also, doesn't control all the features and such but enough for me.

Bought a CDB a week ago and finally hooked it up and hey! it sounds pretty good!! It does have some noise playing the first few tracks and then quiets up so all is fine. Anyone have an owners manual by chance for one of these that they can make a copy of for me? Be glad to pay of course :)

Also found that my remote for one of my Philips 5 disc changers controls this also, doesn't control all the features and such but enough for me.

Love the old CDB's. Owners manuals are easy to find. Service manuals are tough to come by, in english. Check here for manuals. It's the Philips library but Magnavox model numbers are the same except that Philips is CD and Magnavox is CDB, usually.

Thanks for the link but had already checked there and they have the service manual in Dutch and German :) and no owners manual...

That's a tough one. I located an English version of the service manual. Would that help you?
scratch that. It's in dutch.

:dunno:

Back
Top Bottom