Who's going to the California Audio Show ?

Dagago is a small upstart review site so its cool another show is in the works, the really push some brands hard like Legacy speakers so beware of slanted reviews. I guess I would push hard for stuff too if 1000 words got me cheap gear (some review stuff then poof its their new reference item month after month, coincidence?):D Nope its nothing new in review world either.........understood!

Only wont be going because it isnt close to me, otherwise I go to as many shows as I can. Seeing and hearing gear cuts straight thru any bias or BS.

I'm going because,there are very few shows in the L.A area, the last show was
the Stereophile Show at the LAX Hilton. it sucked......to crowded :thumbsdn:
last audio show I attended was the " Rocky Mountain Audio Fest":thmbsp:
not too crowded,some vintage audio,got to-do more listening:yes:

I just got my badge for the show recently. I'm especially interested in checking out some of the affordable stuff from Grant Fidelity.

http://www.caaudioshow.com/exhibitor-list.html

I went yesterday (Friday) and really enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of exhibitors that had good sound. It was not very crowded and most exhibitors were more than willing to let me play a cut or two from the CD I brought. There were more than a dozen exhibitors with turntables.

Dress for hot weather. The room air conditioners are noisy so most exhibitors turn them off. It gets rather warm later in the day. Good listening!

P.S. I was impressed by the sound in the Grant Fidelity room.

Yeah, Grant Fidelity sounded good. They had a wireless gizmo from computer to preamp at one point that was pretty cool. Speakers I heard were mostly RBS-1. Tempted but did not buy Dac 09 at show price of $200.

I went yesterday (Friday) and really enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of exhibitors that had good sound. It was not very crowded and most exhibitors were more than willing to let me play a cut or two from the CD I brought. There were more than a dozen exhibitors with turntables.

Dress for hot weather. The room air conditioners are noisy so most exhibitors turn them off. It gets rather warm later in the day. Good listening!

P.S. I was impressed by the sound in the Grant Fidelity room.

I was also there Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon. Sorry I missed you on Friday TC - I never got much beyond the 10th floor.

As I type, the show is 2 hours away from the end, so this is more like a postmortem.

I like these kind of shows so I hope this one becomes a regular. The turnout was pretty good with a lot of exotic stuff on show. The turnout might have been better with showing from a few more prominent companies like Sumiko or McIntosh.

The venue had some issues - impossible traffic to get there and a hassle to find parking. Maybe if there's another one of these, they could find a place with easier access.

The good news is they have a bar and I needed to stop in for a beer each day to calm the nerves from the traffic before heading to the displays.

I did enjoy the show a lot and hearing lots of different stuff was useful and instructive. It gave me some perspective on how my own systems compare to some of the best stuff out there.

If I had to pick favorites for best sound it would be either the Ypisilon Acapella High Violncello II ($80K):

Violoncello_001_1.jpg

or the more affordable-but-still-out-of-my-price-range ($20K) Legacy Audio Whisper XD:

1whisper%20xd.jpg

I also liked the sound of the very small $1K and $2K complete systems from Napa Acoustic. I thought the sound was sweet, smooth and non-fatiguing. Voices sounded like voices and the organ that was playing sounded like an organ. Of course these were small, bass-shy systems that will not fill a large room with loud sound.

NA208AS_op_568x399a.jpg

However, lots of really good stuff was available for audition. After the show it was off to the city for Calzone and Georgio's and then over to Amoeba Records in the Haight. A nice day in audio.

Here are some crappy cell-phone pix:

Looking East from the Hotel:

attachment.php

Looking West from left to right, Port of Oakland, The eastern section of the SF-Oakland Bay bridge rising up to Yurba Buena Island, Treasure Island (flat thing to the right of Yurba Buena) and above everything in the background and across the bay is the San Francisco Skyline:

attachment.php

Puget Sound Studios' Studer RtoR running master tapes at 15 ips (I want one!):

attachment.php

And a cool turntable - I don't remember what or where:

attachment.php

Maybe if they do this again (next year?) we can have an AK meeting in the bar at high-noon or something.

Attachments

• Looking East2.jpg
    Looking East2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Looking West.jpg
    Looking West.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Studer2.jpg
    Studer2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Turntable1.jpg
    Turntable1.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 50
. . . Or maybe my favorite was the vinyl-driven, CAT electronics (tubes) Quad speakers set up in the Tone of music room. . .

Back
Top Bottom