Who's Got The Most Complicated Signal Path?

The path from my music server to speakers deserves an honorable mention. A Mac Mini transmits wirelessly to an AirPort Express, that transmits wirelessly to an Apple TV, that is optically connected to a Fiio DAC, connected via RCA cables to a PAS 3X, that feeds a pair of Marantz Model 5 monoblocks, that drive a pair of Heresy I speakers. An iPad Air serves as a remote, and stores no music files internally.
My experimental system usually consists of a passive controller housing an Elliot sound products P-06 mm phono stage powered by a piggybacked op amp line stage that is normally unused out of line. Other sources are switched in and out via a selector switch. Various power amps rotate thru, the resident amp at present is a Marantz 8, a pair of Marantz 5 on one chassis sharing an enlarged power supply. Speaker system has been stable for a few years as the Advent 2 Econowaves.

My previous system had a bit of complexity to it, especially when I triamped it.

DAC and phono stage went into a Pass DIY B1 passive pre for switching.
Then went into a DEQX DP 2,6P digital room corection/processor
Output from the DEQX went into an Proceed amp for bass driver, NEW 33 for mids, Electra Print 300B for tweeters.
the B1 also fed an Infinity Cascade 15 subwoofer.
phono stage had a SUT in front of it for certain moving coil cartridges. Had two turntables in the sytstem.

An excellent system, but I tore it down when i bought a different houe and things are much simpler now.

Regards
Mister Pig

Pretty sure my father's set up will take the cake; I'll post pictures of his system soon. For now let us just say neither of us understand 'purists'.

You do realize every time you adjust the base or treble on your receiver...it can no longer be considered pure...correct? You're telling me you listen to everything completely flat? Every type of music...completely flat?

How boring.
Most people don't seem to have a problem with RIAA eq in their phono stage, even though different preamps tweak that to "their sound".

i thought my setup was starting to get a little complex.
PC > 6J1 tube buffer > 5 way switch box > EQ1 > EQ2 > SX-636 > Sherwood RX-4109
(im just using both EQ's for the spectrum analyzer on it)

i thought my setup was starting to get a little complex.
PC > 6J1 tube buffer > 5 way switch box > EQ1 > EQ2 > SX-636 > Sherwood RX-4109
(im just using both EQ's for the spectrum analyzer on it)
I've got 2 6j1s and a switch box as well!

My listening for tomorrow starts today, with a trip down to Encinitas. There, I'll set up and record a concert this morning, of unknown content. I'll break out 75' of cable, and, three microphones in a quasi_DeccaTree arrangement, and an artificial binaural head. Those tracks will be captured in high-resolution.
The trip to Encinitas is an hour, both directions. The concert is an hour.
The master tracks will be mixed, and split into individual split stereo tracks, and those will be FLAC'd. The FLAC files are then processed to form a DVD-A image file, which is burned to DVD-A disc.
Thats my front end,...

Now the DVD-A disc gets dropped into a simple DVD-A player (Pioneer Elite player) -> Schiit SuberUberDuber-something-or-other DAC -> TPA cigar box amp -> Bozak b302a Urbans
My back end is really quite a simple rig.

My listening for tomorrow starts today, with a trip down to Encinitas. There, I'll set up and record a concert this morning, of unknown content. I'll break out 75' of cable, and, three microphones in a quasi_DeccaTree arrangement, and an artificial binaural head. Those tracks will be captured in high-resolution.
The trip to Encinitas is an hour, both directions. The concert is an hour.
The master tracks will be mixed, and split into individual split stereo tracks, and those will be FLAC'd. The FLAC files are then processed to form a DVD-A image file, which is burned to DVD-A disc.
Thats my front end,...

Now the DVD-A disc gets dropped into a simple DVD-A player (Pioneer Elite player) -> Schiit SuberUberDuber-something-or-other DAC -> TPA cigar box amp -> Bozak b302a Urbans
My back end is really quite a simple rig.
I use an Elite DV-45A in the experimental system as a multimode source.
What are you recording?

My digital chain is growing;

PC>Paul Pang V2 card>Singxer F-1>Inday source selector>Music Hall DAC (Mullard CV2493 buffer)>Sansui AUX-701>ADS L1290/II

The Paul Pang and the Singxer have an external power supply (a ifi iPower).

I may upgrade the op-amps in the Music Hall. Maybe.

I use an Elite DV-45A in the experimental system as a multimode source.
What are you recording?

I have a DV49AV; cheap, Craigslist.
Recording: Hutchins Consort violins. This is at a public library concert series, a free concert, in conjunction with something like the First Saturday Concert Series (making the name up as I go here).

I have a DV49AV; cheap, Craigslist.
Recording: Hutchins Consort violins. This is at a public library concert series, a free concert, in conjunction with something like the First Saturday Concert Series (making the name up as I go here).
I was just listening to them on a dvd-a thru the Elite last week. Fantastic recording and group!
What is the program?

Well I admit I am a couple processors short. but where are your 12 room equalizers for your speakers, the 4 electronic crossovers, 22 channels of amplifiers? 12 channels are for the Bi- and Tri -amped HT system . 4 channels are for the remote speakers, and 4 channels are electro static headphones and two are spares. I have room to pull out of storage three R2R , bring home my other FM tuner and add another TT or two, but the TT's don't count. Then there is all the remote recording equipment, but that doesn't count either. I didn't count the remote speakers, 6. That's 12 speakers over all. for 4 areas, And there are no subs. Yeah the HT system is 6.0.

I was just listening to them on a dvd-a thru the Elite last week. Fantastic recording and group!
What is the program?

Just got back home,...
Hawaiian Paniolo, with 4 of the 8 Hutchins violins present; a slack-string hawaiian guitarist/ukeleist/vocalist; steel guitar/dobro, and bass flute.

Simplified summary of my active system...

Sources: 2 x turntables => 2 x phono stages (1 via switch box to preamp), FLAC & 320 Mp3 via SQ touch =>(balanced) DAC, CD => (balanced) DAC, SACD Player (analogue via switch box to preamp), DVD/Bluray audio (analogue via switch box to preamp)
All sources => DEQX HDP5 (master preamp) =>3 x power amps => active OB speakers with xovers... 100hz, 250hz 3124khz (balanced) => DEQX HDP3 (slave preamp, via RJ45 & digi RCA) => 2 x subs with xovers 50hz, 100hz. Cabling: 2 x digital RCA, 1 x balanced digital RCA, 12 x stereo pair RCA, 3 X balanced stereo pair XLR, 6 x 3m speaker cables, 1 x 1.5m sub RCA, 1 x 4m sub RCA.

Longest signal path... one turntable=>RCA=>phono=>RCA=>switch box=>RCA=>analogue pass-thru on DAC=>balanced XLR=> HDP5 preamp=>RCA & balanced XLR=>3 x power amps=> 6 X 3m speaker cable =>OB speakers >100hz & bass <100hz=>digi RCA=>HDP3 slave preamp=>2 x RCA=>2 x subs (!).

IMG_0188.JPG :thumbsup:
Cleaning up all those cables can be a rabbit hole you may want to walk passed. I had a setup very similar years ago. Once you get everything routed, bundled and zip tied. All in takes is one component needing a repair and all that time and effort is for not. :eek::biggrin:

:thumbsup: +:beerchug:IMG_0167.JPG

You have no idea, Sir. !!
I too, gave up on the neatness factor, after a couple of upgraded component changes & distribution upgrades since starting in 1995..

Try hard wire Cat-6 via active & non active baluns, at both ends feeding all in HQ, 1 stereo pair audio and 4 different channels of various video sends/feeds to 5 different rooms in my house !!
Plus a whole signal isolated, but co-connectable/switchable sources, if desired, into the HQ main living room system !!
And there are more pics. but this is enough..
From close to 6 years ago !!
Wire mapping getting close to be finished soon..
Anytime any substantial work is done in that rack, I have to check out every room`s A/V system to make sure all feeds function correctly with no hum or other issues..
With versatility comes complexity..

OKB

My biggest fear is dementia (runs in the family) and not being able to remember how to turn the damn thing on.

My living room`s audio system uses a key(like a car) to activate/power it up, via my 20amp rated Furman power sequencer..
I thought to prepare for my mental future, or possible libation abuse !!
And so I don`t lose the keys, I leave them in the "ignition" !!

Back
Top Bottom