Who's listening online? And with what?

I’ll chime in on this subject as I am fairly new to music on the net, but am very interested as it seems to be the only place you can find what you like anymore.
I see this is an old thread and you guys have prolly beat it to death (I’ll go back and start reading) but I like the subject.
Backstory is I like old stuff, drive old cars, listen to old stereo and am old (ish) myself (63) so I’m late to the digital party but dig it.
Here in LA where I live we recently lost our last descent classic rock station. Now what. I started searching the net for what to do and low and behold there’s a world out there (kidding).
My system is Apple airport express to Schiit Audio DAC to Marantz 2270 and a Fisher 800 (I have them on a switcher) to Klipsch Forte IIs
I have been lately finding apps that are pretty great as far as what I like. An example would be Morow.com it’s a prog rock station.
Love it.
I don’t know anything about bits, bytes, and compression yet but am learning.
As I said I’ll go back and read the thread and will happily research any advice given.
Thanks
Crap I just remembered, I’m only getting internet radio to my car stereos using blue tooth so I can’t get it into my home stereo described above yet.
Guess I’ll go to another thread and ask how to get that done. As of now I only have Apple Music stuff into the home deal.
Told you I was new.

Last edited:
I’ll chime in on this subject as I am fairly new to music on the net, but am very interested as it seems to be the only place you can find what you like anymore.
I see this is an old thread and you guys have prolly beat it to death (I’ll go back and start reading) but I like the subject.
Backstory is I like old stuff, drive old cars, listen to old stereo and am old (ish) myself (63) so I’m late to the digital party but dig it.
Here in LA where I live we recently lost our last descent classic rock station. Now what. I started searching the net for what to do and low and behold there’s a world out there (kidding).
My system is Apple airport express to Schiit Audio DAC to Marantz 2270 and a Fisher 800 (I have them on a switcher) to Klipsch Forte IIs
I have been lately finding apps that are pretty great as far as what I like. An example would be Morow.com it’s a prog rock station.
Love it.
I don’t know anything about bits, bytes, and compression yet but am learning.
As I said I’ll go back and read the thread and will happily research any advice given.
Thanks
Crap I just remembered, I’m only getting internet radio to my car stereos using blue tooth so I can’t get it into my home stereo described above yet.
Guess I’ll go to another thread and ask how to get that done. As of now I only have Apple Music stuff into the home deal.
Told you I was new.

Sounds as if we are in a similar place. I started with an ultra-cheap bluetooth receiver attached to my Concept 3.5 (as preamp) and then to Kenwood L-07 amps to Infinity Quantum 2 speakers. Sounded surprisingly good and was so simple. Next, I replaced the bluetooth with a used Airport Express from eBay and figured out how to use an old iPhone or Macbook, or iMac to stream using iTunes or Amazon Music. And last week I picked up a Schiit Bifrost DAC locally from Craig's List to convert instead of relying on the AE's DAC. You should be able to use a smart phone to stream to your AE/DAC. I just added the Morow.com app to my phone and plan on listening on the way home. Thanks!

Found this great donation supported station, The Jazz Groove. Listening in the car via their app.

2A679460-C7B1-47B0-A78F-954331A224F6.png

Сhoose to your taste - detailed description -
File Extensions Encyclopedia
https://wikiext.com/
Audio Files
Audio files contain digital audio data users may play with audio playback programs. Such files use either an uncompressed format, or a compressed format which helps reduce the size of the file.

Common audio file examples are audio project files, musical scores, MIDI files, and others.

Audio file extensions include but not limited to .MP3, .WAV, .MID, .AIF, etc.

Just stumbled upon this thread. Surprised to hear SB still alive and apparently thriving to some degree. I have been restricting my onli e listening to my home office pc. Put SBT in a drawer a few years ago after some issues with the sw. Maybe time to bring it out and update it and see how it works. Will have to find those open source sites referenced. Had been thinking about a Pi a few years ago but illness and the learning curve put that on the backburner. Even have a never opened Chromecast Audio in a drawer though I think that is mixed quality. Thanks for inspiring and informing.

Trying out YouTube Music this morning. No Sonos integration yet (it's coming soon), so using the old WD-100 wireless dock. iPhone->Sonos WD-100->kitchen Sonos Ones.

The free version of YTM has WAY too many ads!

IMG_20180622_162522.jpg

Trying to convince the engineer at thejonathanstation.com that he's doing something very wrong, causing gross distortion of the stream. He's not buying it. I find it unlistenable, on any client.

It's a 128kbps mp3 stream, which should sound much better than this; plenty of other streams I listen to at this bitrate sound just fine. WTF is he doing to distort is so badly?

http://149.56.155.73:8000/stream

Since moving to pretty much the middle of nowhere, I've become addicted to TuneIn and Pandora. I got pretty tired of Country (which I love, but not as a steady diet), Mexican, and religious stations. Having Apple Air Play in the cars just makes it even better. The SQ is pretty good at home (Blu-Ray and Smart TV's) but Pandora via the Iphone in the car is somewhat lacking. TuneIn, however, sounds great.

What I love about TuneIn is that I can still listen to my old favorites from the NYC metro area and add whatever stations I pick up from around the country when I travel.

I'll not be renewing my SirusXM when my commitment expires.

Amazon Music on iPad->Sonos Play:1 stereo pair in home office, via Amazon Music app’s new Sonos casting support.

D2BC8FF3-0E27-4E27-9BBA-C5123B80C333.png

Trying to convince the engineer at thejonathanstation.com that he's doing something very wrong, causing gross distortion of the stream. He's not buying it. I find it unlistenable, on any client.

It's a 128kbps mp3 stream, which should sound much better than this; plenty of other streams I listen to at this bitrate sound just fine. WTF is he doing to distort is so badly?

http://149.56.155.73:8000/stream

Well, I captured the stream, graphed it, and showed him that he was applying massive Dynamic Range Compression, which was the cause of the awful distortion. Got a lot of pushback, but notice today that the compression is gone, dynamics are back, distortion is gone. Sounds great! They obviously took my advice, lol.

Back
Top Bottom