Who's listening online? And with what?

Pandora's 'early jazz' channel, which is one of the ready mades. It's really swing and earlier, not 'early jazz' in the sense most of us would think of it, but decent for casual listening.

Listening on the Macbook Air.

s.

Last edited:
Been using pandora thru my blackberry via a blackberry gateway(bluetooth reciever connected to my preamp directly) great sound better that std cd about 192kbs. Very inexpencive way to do it with great sound quality!

CBC Radio 2, The Signal, Via their IPhone ap streaming via AirPlay and Airport Express to my Luxman L-430.

100_3962.JPG

"Who's listening online? And with what?"

I use this program to record songs to my hard drive, and then play them back later using a slim devices/logitech squeezebox classic driving a DAC

http://www.stationripper.com/index.htm

I mostly use it to record the Bob Parlocha jazz show, which airs while I sleep, then play it the next day. But it's also great for logging tunes on a good station. With the paid version, you can set up filters for WHEN it does NOT record, i.e. to get Parlocha, I say do not record from 5AM to 11PM. So then it records 11PM to 5AM. The program needs to be open, and the stream active to do that, but that feature is really nice.

You end up with one big .mp3 file in the "work incomplete" folder, but it plays fine on the computer via winamp, or when added to the squeezebox music folder, on any stereo with a squeezebox.
My other option is to play it on a squeezebox driving an FM transmitter, so then I can turn on any FM tuner in the house and hear the recorded stream. Keep those FM tuners working!
Bob

On the Windows side, I was using Radio Time's record product, 'RedButton,' but they just changed Radio Time to something called Tune In, and RedButton appears to be DOA. So your note is useful - thanks.

On the Mac side, I use one of Rogue Amoeba's fine products - though I have no connection, RA is my favorite little software company evah.

s.

I have subscribed to Rhapsody (12 dollars per month) for a few years now. I can stream any record or song in the library (11 million songs?), and download 160kbs wmas and playback on the same computer using WMP and now, for some reason, WinAmp as well. I use a first gen. Audigy Sound Card in Windows 7 and both analog and digital (optical) outputs sound pretty good amplified or headphoned. If something is really good, I search out the vinyl. This new Paul Simon record arrived today, but as a subscriber, it was available from the day of release. I streamed it during my entire vacation.

2377229_500x500.jpg

My only complaints? I cannot transfer to a portable device. I've tried to record to the Nakamichi and there's a strange very audible garbled noise floor. I can get a dupe of a 160kbps file using Audition or Sound Forge, but it seems like too much trouble for the quality of file that you're getting. I'd rather just buy a vinyl copy.

There's no Beatles and no Led Zeppelin, good thing I own those already. There are however Katy Perry remixes, and a brand new Beastie Boys record that I knew nothing about that was released just 2 days ago as of this writing...

2391803_500x500.jpg

Thats what I'm listening to now...

Jay

Jazzradio's 'avant garde' channel, which sounds like it should really be called Jazzradio's 'mildly adventurous' channel.

Good anyway - Jane Ira Bloom a minute ago with DeJohnette, Ornette and Paul Bley coming. One thing: at first blush, the service does not appear to let you skip what you don't like. That's ok, I guess.

s.

I usually just use Fire Fm (firefox addon) to create my own stations. I listen to it through my Mitsubishi Compact separates system (in my sig, PC Audio). I use a set of Infinity Primus 162s that I added Mounting brackets to mount on the wall. Or my Sennheiser HD600s if the wife is asleep.
This morning I was listening to some female vocals from Eva Cassidy, Nora Jones and a few others with my Java

I'll bet that was excellent!

s.

broadcast archive available here see may 6 7pm to mid night (note 1st and last 5min of each hour overlap on the archive mp3s)

and now - sunday in the middle of a 7hr beefheart specail

Last edited:
I listen online at my office all the time. Usually I'm streaming KEXP (out of Seattle) or KCRW (from LA) via iTunes Airtunes to an Airport Express connected to my HK430 and some Boston A40's. Works great, sounds great.

Here is a pic. You can see the APE under the receiver in the corner.

- Woody

5710873853_7cab46c758_b.jpg

I 'found' this today: http://tunein.com/ and loaded the 99 cent app on an iPod. It is very good.

Then I ordered one of these: http://www.gracedigitalaudio.com/tuner-wifi-ethernet-radio-tuner-gdiirdt200-p-91.html from Amazon because of the return policy. I have a MHDT Labs Havana DAC and it looks like I can use it with the tuner. The theory is that this will make finding new music a lot of fun. There is also a free app for iPod that make the pod a cool remote for the Grace tuner. I will post after it arrives. I am hoping the DAC will make it :music:

I am sending the Grace back. I did get a Pure iPod dock. http://www.pure.com/products/accessory.asp?Product=VL-61119 and am having a ball with it and Tunein. If you have an iPod this is the best $99
you can spend. It sounds very good.

Last edited:
Jazzradio's 'avant garde' channel, which sounds like it should really be called Jazzradio's 'mildly adventurous' channel.

Good anyway - Jane Ira Bloom a minute ago with DeJohnette, Ornette and Paul Bley coming. One thing: at first blush, the service does not appear to let you skip what you don't like. That's ok, I guess.

s.

A plus and a minus. Sometimes you need to give a tune a complete listening. :D

Point well taken.

The 'skip' function is a distinctly two edged sword. Like most AKers, I know impatience ain't good, whether you're talking gear or music. But when you have it, it's easy to get into the habit of using it.

As for me, I cleaned my office and am currently using a Squeezebox radio as my music source. Right now, it's 'Bop City,' a channel from Live365.

s.

Jazz Trio section of Jazzradio is smoking! ...... Zoe Rachman, Kirk Lightsey, Klaus Weiss, Misha Piatigorsky, Duke Ellington playing "Wig Wise". Have to investigate who are the other members of Duke's trio.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom