Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

Old_Tech

Yer-isn't!
I am listening to Public Radio "eeking" out every sonic vibe I can find on my SAE Two T14 and 1/2 wave rooftop dipole.

DSC05450c8.jpg

Last edited:
Right now, using the Sony XDR-F1HD tuned into KUSP for jazz in the evening this Thanksgiving. Not bad from a sonics standpoint but I miss my McIntosh MR-77 which seems more alive for broadcast quality.

Cheers,

David

KGON 92.3 FM Portland Oregon on my office system Pioneer TX-9100 tuner using a ceiling mounted Modified Cubic Quad antenna.

Station is 38 air miles away showing 4.3 on the signal strenght meter right now.

Sound is as always very nice. Amplification via Pioneer SG-7500 Spectrum Anaylzer/EQ and Pioneer SA-9100 60wpc Amp completely restored by AK's OWN Tarior at The Speaker Magnate in Kelso, WA. And on to my Pioneer HPM-60 speakers.

Bedroom; Sony XDR-F1HD(no mods, yet)/Hafler SE-100 preamp/Leach ver. 4.5 power amp/Acoustic Research AR-11 speakers rescued from Goodwill.

Station: KING-FM (classical music) via simple dipole which supplies a terrible signal my Heathkit AJ-1510 can't use but the Sony reproduces with perfect clarity. The Heathkit (which needs some further troubleshooting) is on an AntennaCraft FM6 and a Heathkit IO-10 monitor oscilloscope.

Check out online at http://www.king.org for a really nice program, The Organ Loft; it's on at 10 pm Pacific time, preceeded by a live broadcast of the Compline Service from Saint Mark's Cathedral. TOL specializes in organ and choral music, is very well produced and a real listening pleasure.

We listened to Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant Massacree on WROR-FM at 9pm Thanksgiving night as we walked in the door after a Thanksgiving feast at our daughter's and son-in-law's in VT. For expediency, we used the ol' Yamaha T-550 in the family room (since it had already started as we were driving in to the garage).

You guys like classical and Jazz I see. Nice listening you been doin! Right now I have "Back Friday" music on the TU-717 Classical 91.5 in Rochester. I think that tuner is a bit miffed over all this change up I have been doing.
Nice gear you guys got and it's cool hearing what you are listening to.

My Horoscope today: "I am obsessed with what I do not have but need to learn to love what I do posess". Whats that all about? No more tuna's? They said my wife would have wanted me to be happy. :scratch2:

Last edited:
The fantastic on board tuner (5 gangs totally shielded) of the Sony 6060F receiver: Overture from Romeo and Juliet WQXR, 105.9kz NYC. The music is lush and full bodied.:thmbsp:

I've been messing with my tuners and listening quite a bit to 90.9 WRCJ a public radio stations whose tagline is "Classical days and jazzy nights". While not a big fan of classical, I find their selections very interesting listening and solid as background music.

As I said, I've been working on a Pioneer TX-9100, modding a Dyna FM-3, plus rolling in my Onkyo T-9 too, which I'm finding a bit sibilant and edgy. I just ran coax from my 2nd story attic to the basement and attached it to a garage sale indoor TV antenna up there and am seeing a 2x improvement in signal strength with regular 4+ readings on a 5 scale where 3 was unobtainable previously.

Listening to the "Down in the Alley" show (Blues/R&B/Soul) on listener supported WEVL "The Weevil" 89.9 FM through a cherry Kenwood KT-8005 with a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna. My tuner rarely leaves this station.

kt-8005.jpg

Beautiful Kenwood. I could sit in front of that tuner on the floor and listen for hours.
I have the same thing here I tend to stay put on my favorite station. I have two. Listener supported WXXI 91.5 in Rochester and 103.1 Classical FM in Toronto. Lately Rock has left me numb...

Back
Top Bottom