Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

WDRV outta Chicago currently playing the Doors "Riders On The Storm".

Tuner is an Adcom pre/tuner GTP-502 with an el'cheapo Parts Express dipole antenna.
Rest of the system includes a Vector Research VQ-115 EQ in the EPL and a Adcom GFA-535 MkI amp with JBL LX-22 speakers and a Celestion S20 Subwoofer.

Power is handled by an Adcom ACE-515 and there is also a Schiit Optimodi DAC fed from my Desktop PC via the SB Zx optical out.

I got pics of this rig in an album here >>>> http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?media/albums/main-br-2-1-system-pics.406/

Here's one of those pics vvvv.

index.php

FWIW

Bret P.

Listened to the "Classic Jazz" show on KANU 91.5 Kansas Public Radio for 2 hours
Listened on my 40 yr old Pioneer TX-8500II tuner

All Chuck Berry's children. Over the air on WFUV-90.7
In Mono on 'The Fisher' Series 80 Tuner>Advent 300> screaming Sequerra Met-7s
Hail Hail Rock and Roll!

This afternoon I'm listening to Al Carter-Bey spin some excellent jazz on 90.9 WDCB Chicago.
Sony STR-6800 > ProAc Super Tablette

Lately I've been listing to a lot of 93.3 KDKB on my JVC T-40PR. I like KCDX 103.1, but even with an outdoor antenna the reception is mediocre at best. I notice compared to some other tuners, switching to mono on a weak signal doesn't buy you that much noise reduction. I could always bump the equalizer a few notices to suppress the high-pitched buzz.

Newark New Jersey's WBGO Jazz 88.3 FM... Sansui TU-717

"The Blues Review" broadcasting right now, via that big monkey perch in midtown, The Empire State Building. I got me some bell wire plugged into the FM antenna output on my Sansui TU-717, with the other end connected to a radiator down the hall. "Howlin' Wolf" approves of this method!!
Superb reception.

Saturday morning and my day starts with 'Portraits In Blue' OTA on WBGO 88.3 FM.
John Lee Hooker on the Modern label 1949/50.
Sounding correct in mono. The Scott Type 310B/Scott 99C kill'in it!

Last edited:
Listening to Orbert Davis (who is also an excellent trumpeter and composer) spin jazz on 90.9 WDCB Chicago, on the Pioneer TX-9100. If I had to choose between this one and my TX-9800 it would not be easy. Fortunately I don't have to. :D

It's the sunniest, warmest day we've had in many months and here I am sitting inside listening to an absolutely fantastic Saturday Afternoon at the Opera broadcast of Verdi's Aida live from the Metropolitan Opera. :music:

KBAQ Phoenix, Rotel RHT-10 and Nakamichi 430. The Nakamichi sounds good but the Rotel handles the IBOC noise better.

Back
Top Bottom