Who's listening with headphones tonight? To what?

Handel: Saul
October 11, 2005
Harmonia Mundi Fr.

51sN-tV9dYL.jpg

PC optical out > Teac UD-H01 > Hifiman HE-4XX (Massdrop)

Going back and forth with stax sr-202s and akg q701's with some mods.
Hitting the bass hard with some tool. The akg q701 mods include the
Bass port mod and some extra screen material behind the earpads.
It really works well to balance it out. Im running it with a tube amp
And it sounds good. The stax is still better but the akg is much more comfy.
I'll be running through some more stuff to test. Brubeck is on deck

Picked up the vinyl for a song over the weekend at an estate sale. All it needed was a little cleaning.
Red Garland High Pressure.jpg
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800
Receiver: Marantz 2385
Preamp: Cary SLP-98P
Turntable: Thorens 160 Super
Cartridge: Ortofon 2M Black

I'm rockin these guys tonight at work. Not too bad but below average of what I'm used to. They were a flash deal on Amazon. Again, decent but they miss the mark sound-wise for me.

I do really like the form factor. Very comfortable and they stay put.

A couple of guys have Bose that are a similar design and one guy has some $1,000+ jobbies that are a custom fit.

Anyone have any experience with something in this ballpark maybe in the $75 - $150 range that sounds decent? I don't care for bloated bass but I like body. More important to me are realistic mids and highs that are not rolled off up top.

index.php

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075TB9YPV?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

Last edited:
I'm rockin these guys tonight at work. Not too bad but below average of what I'm used to. They were a flash deal on Amazon. Again, decent but they miss the mark sound-wise for me.

I do really like the form factor. Very comfortable and they stay put.

A couple of guys have Bose that are a similar design and one guy has some $1,000+ jobbies that are a custom fit.

Anyone have any experience with something in this ballpark maybe in the $75 - $150 range that sounds decent? I don't care for bloated bass but I like body. More important to me are realistic mids and highs that are not rolled off up top.

index.php

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075TB9YPV?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

My go to iems are my trusty Etymotic hf5s. Put some comply p100 professional tips on gives excellent isolation and they stay put. No complaints about the sound.

My go to iems are my trusty Etymotic hf5s. Put some comply p100 professional tips on gives excellent isolation and they stay put. No complaints about the sound.

I enjoy my HF5s as well. My one complaint is that they are too sensitive. If you have a bad source, it is really noticeable. Work computer is virtually unlistenable due to noise. My phone is rather bad. I got a fulla 2, hoping to clean it up, but find I can only turn the knob to around 7:30 or 8 o'clock before they start to get too loud. I ordered an adapter that is supposed to boost the impedance from 16 to 91, and I am hoping that frees up some room to play with. Since I am hear, I am listening to the work computer > Fulla 2> HF5s. And am listening to this gem:

1946102.jpg

Not quite yet, but I'll be listening to the Sony MDR-1As at work tonight.

THE most comfortable headphones I've ever used and they don't sound half bad either.

index.php

Lorin Maazel and the Cleveland Orchestra performing Modest Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition and Night on Bald Mountain:

81NZaFPk-QL._SL1200_.jpg

Work computer (mp3) -> Fulla 2 -> Etymotic HF5s (using a 75 ohm adapter to let me turn the volume knob up past 8:00)

R-1099497-1399967387-9584.jpeg.jpg

work computer -> Fulla 2 -> Etymotic HF5s

(I was introduced to this album by my friend from Nova Scotia who heard it playing in a restaurant in Korea).

IMG_0142.JPG ...

Galaxy Note 8 - USB Audio Player Pro (music player) - PS Audio NuWave DAC - AMB Beta22
- SR325e

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom