Who's listening with headphones tonight? To what?

Just posted about this over in turntables, where I had a question about what I was doing. I'm reasonably content I've got it straight, so tonight, for the first time in years, music from a turntable, a Rega P1, out through an NAD phono stage and then to the Little Dot 1+, the AKG K702s. First up was a reissue of Serge Chaloff's "Blue Serge" and now James Blood Ulmer's mighty "Free Lancing." I forgot how much I loved this music. And yes, the vinyl sounds wonderful.

s.

Edit - And now onto the ArtistsHouse "Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Quartet." I don't remember why or where or how I bought this, but I'm glad I did.

edit, edit - Poking around my basement, I found a vinyl copy of Albert Ayler's "Holy Ghost" - the abridged version of the Revenant set - that I never played. It's pretty lo-fi, and I'm not sure the vinyl is any better than the CDs in this case, but the white vinyl is lovely.

Last edited:
61iN3jNx9ML.jpg

On

0OHnLggh.jpg

Pandora Plus by way of the excellent Linux client "Pithos," Lenovo T420 running Ubuntu 16.04 and out to my old iBasso Cobra, the AKG K702s. Waiting for snow and sleet in my little town.

s.

One of my favorites! I will usually dig out the ATH-M50s for the stuff with that much bottom end.

They aren't the best headphones in the world, but I'll have to give a listen using my new-to-me V-Moda LPs.

But I'm afraid it might break my brain! :D

post-53642-0-80420000-1383709260.jpg

Spending some time in the country, in a cabin with three cats so I'm going to do something I haven't done in years... sleep with headphones on, well, earbuds.

Brainwavz Deltas, a Sony Walkman and an assortment of later half Steely Dan and Donald Fagen on shuffle.

Compared the Deltas to a pair of MEE Audio M6s which are pretty similar, but have a memory wire function intended to go over/around the ears.

I'll hold off commentary for now but will say both are incredible values for ~$20. Both are balanced with fairly ample bass that doesn't overwhelm the mids/highs.

"Conduit" - a new streaming service (I posted a note over in digital/streaming) out from Lenovo T420 running Ubuntu 16.04 to HRT MusicStreamer II, then to the Little Dot 1+ then to my Senn 650s, which really are as good as people say they are.

s.

edit - And moving on, I'm back to the full book of the Dave Douglas Quintet Live at The Jazz Standard from about a decade ago. Bought the FLAC files from DD's website, where they're still available. Been working my way through the six nights - It's not Miles at the Plugged Nickel (what is?) but on its own terms is very, very good. Right now: December 7, Set 1. (The software for playing back local files is my preferred music player in Linux, Audacious.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom