Why all soldering problems ??

Oh heck yeh, it's not good enough to not use the 60/40. I just started using it about a year ago and it just makes it easier to get a shiny joint. Probably more to do with my skills that the solder, because I could get shiny joints with 60/40 too, it was just a little harder. I have a similar deal with solder wick and sponges. Somehow at an old radio auction I ended up with ten lifetimes of both. It's nice when stuff like that happens because I plan on doing this for a few more years at least.:yes:
It's not your skills (lol) it just may be the solder because I noticed the same effect. 63/37 solder is eutectic, meaning both alloys cool at the same rate, leaving a beautiful joint.....solder joint that is. Hail Kester 44!

I used nothing but 60/40 for a lot of years, for no better reason than its what Radio Shack sold. I picked up some 63/37 at some point and I do like it better. I use a mix of Ersin Multicore and Kester 44. The Ersin is smaller, so I usually use it for circuit boards and the fatter K44 for point to point stuff. I got both for extremely small money.

Back
Top Bottom