Why are some threads/posts not showing up when I select new posts?

Rob41

Don't stop believin'
Are the results for new posts censored or vetted? I ask because more than once I've looked for something I've just posted and it's not there. Checked the specific times of other posts to be sure I went back far enough and it really doesn't show up in the new posts option.

Hmmm. Sorry, just made this post to see if just posts are listed in the "new posts" option. Sure enough, this didn't show up either. I wonder what's going on here.

I also tried logging out and checking new posts to see if it would show up that way and it does not.

Last edited:
I think "new posts" is defined not just by date but by whether you've been "in" the thread - the assumption is apparently that if you've just posted, you know about the thread and don't need to have it listed. I have no idea whether this is an option the administrators could change or not, but I've noticed it too.

Yeah I noticed it too and found that you need to go to the specific forum and it will be there. Bit annoying but in the scheme of things...........

If you posted to or started the thread, just go to Your Content and click on your post, and it will take you back to that thread and check for follow-up posts. If someone quotes you or likes your post/thread, you will get a notification.

If you posted to or started the thread, just go to Your Content and click on your post, and it will take you back to that thread and check for follow-up posts. If someone quotes you or likes your post/thread, you will get a notification.
thanks for the "Your Content" tip. So many lists now ..never connected "your content" with "my posts" which is what I would have called it.

There's a 9-page-ish limit to the number of new posts that can be displayed. There may be more other new posts than yours, so it may not make the list. I'm not sure if there's a "new" timer (that is immune from log in/log out resetting) or how long it might be. Maybe try doing a "real" search and look for all posts in the last 24 hours?

I'd like to see a "new posts" function within "my content". That would make sure I catch responses to my posts instead of seeming to ignore them. I suppose I could also 'subscribe' to all threads I respond in, and receive notice of responses. Kind of bad form to ask a question and then appear to ignore responses for a few days...

Chip

I think "new posts" is defined not just by date but by whether you've been "in" the thread - the assumption is apparently that if you've just posted, you know about the thread and don't need to have it listed.
This^
On the "New Post" page it marks threads as read, there fore not a new post.

On the New Post page, look to the right of the page numbers on top of the list you will see
Mark Forums Read , Recent Posts

The recent post link will change the view to show ALL new activity including where you have been like the old format. But this is only available on the new post page and when you go back there you will need to do it again, PITA

Last edited:
...something I've just posted and it's not there.

Your posts don't show up in New Posts as the system doesn't consider a post you wrote as new to you. For everyone else, it'll show up in the list.

On the New Post page, look to the right of the page numbers on top of the list you will see
Mark Forums Read , Recent Posts

The recent post link will change the view to show ALL new activity including where you have been like the old format.

Yep! Like this.

upload_2016-2-27_19-28-21.png

Your posts don't show up in New Posts as the system doesn't consider a post you wrote as new to you. For everyone else, it'll show up in the list.

That is most logical to me, as I don't need to look at posts I've just read. But we each have our own system of looking at forums. I don't typically use either one, but that comes from my forum moderating background--I usually scan all the threads in a forum to get a feel for what's going on, then move on to the next one. And in forums like AK where I am only interested in a handful of forums, I similarly scan those to see what I can find of interest.

To be honest, it would make more sense for "New Posts" to be labeled "Unread Posts", and "Recent Posts" to be labeled "All Recent Posts."

To be honest, it would make more sense for "New Posts" to be labeled "Unread Posts", and "Recent Posts" to be labeled "All Recent Posts."

"Unread Posts" would be the misnomer as the system has no way to track what you actually read, it only knows if a thread has new posts since you last opened it.

Back
Top Bottom