Why are there so many snobs on audio websites

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as we have a society that prizes money and status we will continue to have people whose only asset is to be able to show how valuble they are by the things they have that others can't......It's sad really because the pinicle of human achievement is measured by some as the number of shiny objects that you can surround yourself by .......sadly these people have no real friends and if their shiny things disappear so do the people around them......I'd rather have not very shiny things around me and many golden souls who make life worthwhile.:beerchug:

This. +10.

So what exactly is the System Price Point that deems one a Snob?

Is it the System Current Value or Original Cost?

I paid less than $800 to purchase and have repaired my current system that cost the original owner close to $20K, so I guess I am a snob because I now own a "Shiny Thing System"...whatever.

So what exactly is the System Price Point that deems one a Snob?

Is it the System Current Value or Original Cost?

I paid less than $800 to purchase and have repaired my current system that cost the original owner close to $20K, so I guess I am a snob because I now own a "Shiny Thing System"...whatever.
I don't think this is necessarily a price point thing. It seems to me that a good definition would be when one looks down their nose at anyone has equipment that they consider less "worthy" than what they own, and they have no problems letting you know it..

I don't think this is necessarily a price point thing. It seems to me that a good definition would be when one looks down their nose at anyone has equipment that they consider less "worthy" than what they own, and they have no problems letting you know it..

I see much more of people doing the reverse where they just deem anyone who spends more than they do an audio snob, than I see of people with mega buck systems bashing dumpster divers.

On the HE forums I belong to, I have yet to see folks chime in to tell someone that they are an idiot for purchasing a $25 pr of interconnects, but I often see here and other places where anyone who spends more than that is the idiot who wasted their money.

I see more reverse snobbery than the premise of this thread implies the other way.

Competing-with-Sommelier.jpg
dumpster-dive.jpg

> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------The Snob Spectrum --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<

I see much more of people doing the reverse where they just deem anyone who spends more than they do an audio snob, than I see of people with mega buck systems bashing dumpster divers.

On the HE forums I belong to, I have yet to see folks chime in to tell someone that they are an idiot for purchasing a $25 pr of interconnects, but I often see here and other places where anyone who spends more than that is the idiot who wasted their money.

I see more reverse snobbery than the premise of this thread implies the other way.
I'll buy that for a dollar. You bring up a very good point. A lot of discussion seems to revolve around how little someone paid for something and, yes, that is a form of snobbery as well. That's what I alluded to when I said it's not necessarily a high dollar thing in that case. It's a low dollar thing.

Thanks for clarifying what I meant to say, but failed.

How's your garden doing this year? Wascaly wabbits, or something wiled out our tomato plants.

I'll buy that for a dollar. You bring up a very good point. A lot of discussion seems to revolve around how little someone paid for something and, yes, that is a form of snobbery as well. That's what I alluded to when I said it's not necessarily a high dollar thing in that case. It's a low dollar thing.

Thanks for clarifying what I meant to say, but failed.

How's your garden doing this year? Wascaly wabbits, or something wiled out our tomato plants.
Ha, yes I am a Garden Snob also :)

Good for the most part but lack of rain was a factor and lack of certain nutrients was another. Peas, Lettuce, Swiss Chard, Scallions all did great. Garlic and Onions not so good, plenty of Tomatoes but lacking calcium. Most of my peppers were a bust as they seem to all have been cross pollinated and Purple Bells turned out Red Hot and Jalapenos look like Cherry Peppers. I harvested the Potatoes yesterday and although I got many, most are tiny. We did half Purple this year and got a few decent ones.

Late crops of Wax Beans and Carrots doing good so far. We did have a deer get through the fencing because we failed to latch part of it, but we fixed that fast. Now the only issue is the birds pecking at the tomatoes due to lack of rain and water for them.

I am trying to think of who the snobs in here are, I can't recall any that stand out.

Last edited:
How funny this thread was at the top of the heap when I stopped by. Just this morning, some dude who was shortchanged in the southern zone laced into me on Facebook for my "just as crappy as Soundesign" system. No idea what his deal was. Didn't recognize him from any of the hifi groups I'm in. The pic he went off about apparently was just one I use for my cover photo. Yes, I do boast about how wonderful it sounds (because it really does sound amazing). But I don't care if my whole rig cost me less than $300 to put together, or if anyone else "approves" of its pieces. It does what I need and pleases my ears. That is all that matters.

Now, I have punked several people I have known over the years by doing things like swapping out their outlandishly expensive, organic, free-range, cables for Radio Shack RCAs or speaker wire, and they didn't know for as long as 2 years (when they actually went back to the rats nest). I really am not impressed by large dollar amounts spent. I am not impressed by spec sheets. If the sound that comes out does not please my ears, I declare it crap and that is that. I also refuse to be intimidated by anyone because they think they are somehow superior to someone else because of their ability to spend. No one should be impressed by that. People who thrive on attention and pats on the head for their spending, without exception, all come crashing down eventually.

Now, I have punked several people I have known over the years by doing things like swapping out their outlandishly expensive, organic, free-range, cables for Radio Shack RCAs or speaker wire, and they didn't know for as long as 2 years (when they actually went back to the rats nest). I really am not impressed by large dollar amounts spent. I am not impressed by spec sheets. If the sound that comes out does not please my ears, I declare it crap and that is that. I also refuse to be intimidated by anyone because they think they are somehow superior to someone else because of their ability to spend. No one should be impressed by that. People who thrive on attention and pats on the head for their spending, without exception, all come crashing down eventually.
You are so bad :biggrin:
Free range cables are the most expensive especially if they're grown without hormones.

The nice thing about the audiophile snobs is that they buy a lot of stuff, take the depreciation hit, let the stuff that's underbuilt blow up in their face, and then in a couple years, once they're ready for new status-symbol gear, we can get the old stuff off Craigslist or the Goodwill at six cents on the dollar.

Someone has to do that. It's a vital service for the rest of us.

If only they could stick to interesting gear and stop buying the $2000-per-metre cables.

You do realize your being a snob don't you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom