Why can't I find a good pastrami sandwich?

yes, Carnegie was over-rated.

Katz's Deli, on Houston Street (pronounced house-ton), just before the numbered
streets and lettered avenues, is THE ONLY AUTHENTIC PASTRAMI sandwich in
the current known universe.

and the second thing you can only find in NYC is a knish. any you find in the US
outside NYC is imported from NYC.

had both many years ago, and will spit out imitations (imitated but NEVER duplicated)
but back in the day there was NO Mexican food in NYC, the "closest" was
a taco Bell in Philly., but their cheesteaks are also unequalled across the entire
US. and a Stromboli by the airport in the restaurant that invented it.

and had a burrito at Mannys in LA. but all California burritos are good.

Last edited:
The Carnegie was over rated anyway, don't miss them in the least. Katz's is still the barometer for the quintessentail NYC pastrami on rye. Tip the carver $2 when he is making your sandwich and he will slice a few pieces for you to nosh on while waiting. My advice, bring someone and have them order the brisket sandwich and split them. The corned beef comes in third in this race. Enjoy.
Thanks for the scoop! I'll be there with my vegetarian daughter, so it's all on or rather in me. :D

and the second thing you can only find in NYC is a knish. any you find in the US

had both many years ago, and will spit out imitations (imitated but NEVER duplicated)
a taco Bell in Philly., but their cheesteaks are also unequalled across the entire

I used to always go to cheesesteak place down in Mission Beach in San Diego. Best I've had so far. The Mexican food from the Bay Area to the border is really good stuff.

and you will never find a good loco moko on the mainland. but everyone you find
on the islands is to die for. (AND for the uninitiated, this is THE ONLY dish that
ethically and morally allows eating (the original) SPAM).

Katz's is truly excellent but Sarge's is open (and delivers) 24x7. Perfect for those computer types who just might work 24x7.

The best pastrami sandwich so far was a place my daughter took me in Cleveland. Sorry forgot the name.

I'm going to NYC. And will be trying out Kat'z and The Carnegie Deli.

View attachment 1324288

The Carnegie, alas, is no more, unless you count the stand in Madison Square Garden. Message me when you're in town and you can go to Katz's with a native who knows how to look like an insider instead of a tourist!

The Carnegie, alas, is no more, unless you count the stand in Madison Square Garden. Message me when you're in town and you can go to Katz's with a native who knows how to look like an insider instead of a tourist!
I was told as much about The Carnegie. Thanks for the offer!

Why not simply make your own? Same for the Loco Moco. I do it all the time, except for the spam.

Rich P
And where would I procure pastrami that is not run of mill and bland? If the deli's themselves can't serve good pastrami, and grocery stores sell prepackaged ****, I'm scratching my head.

And where would I procure pastrami that is not run of mill and bland? If the deli's themselves can't serve good pastrami, and grocery stores sell prepackaged ****, I'm scratching my head.

The best store bought pastrami is Boar's Head from Brooklyn. There is no comparison with what you get in the NYC delis mentioned above, but it is a lot better than nothing. I recommend Levy's seeded rye and Boar's Head deli style mustard. Although Levy's is no longer baked in Brooklyn, it still uses the original yeast culture. Again this will not provide the religious experience of the 'real thing'. But it beats the pre-packaged off the shelf stuff by a mile.

Nice to hear Katz's is still around.
For a time in the late 70's I lived a block and a half down on Ludlow St.
Unfortunately it was too expensive for me, so only ate there a few times.
The 9 cent bagels at Yonah Schimmel's were much more within my budget.

Nice to hear Katz's is still around.
For a time in the late 70's I lived a block and a half down on Ludlow St.
Unfortunately it was too expensive for me, so only ate there a few times.
The 9 cent bagels at Yonah Schimmel's were much more within my budget.
You wouldn't believe what Ludlow street and the lower east side looks like nowadays, expensive restaurants and groovy bars as far as the eye can see. Over the last 10-15 years it has been the hottest area for restaurant development in NYC.

You wouldn't believe what Ludlow street and the lower east side looks like nowadays, expensive restaurants and groovy bars as far as the eye can see. Over the last 10-15 years it has been the hottest area for restaurant development in NYC.

Oh, I didn't even recognize my old stomping grounds the last time I was there...the early 90's.
New condos where there had been vacant lots....and the rag picker's place on the Bowery had become an upscale Antique store?

In the late 70's Ludlow ST. was an open-air drug market....basically, a convenience for those who didn't have the balls to venture deeper into Alphabet City.
Biggest perk was a Cuban Chinese place across the street which made excellent Cafe Con Leches.
Also a good place to buy those ultra cheap blue canvas shoes that older Chinese guys used to wear.
Wish I could find them now. Loved those things.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom