Why does it seem like no one makes acoustic suspension speakers anymore?

jdwk

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
if someone does, I don't know who. But though the years in all my speaker listening through many brands, models and price points, I always preferred the sound of that type of cabinet design ( no ports, or passive radiators) has the design been abandoned for some technology advancement reason I am unaware of?

the tighter sound those types of speakers had was unique.

Mod please correct typo in title.

I guess the simplest answer lies in evolving loudspeaker technology. Newer port designs have come a long way since those of the past, which allow speakers to be designed with better LF response with less severe penalty to sensitivity of the older acoustic suspension designs.

Many of the newer port designs have every bit the "firm" bass characteristics of A/S models - even better.

It's got to be because of "power and size" requirements of acoustic speakers?? It's hard to do "Bass" from a smaller acoustic box??? All my larger Boxes and most of subs are "Acoustic" boxes. Only my Lx 5's and my "new to me" and much to my surprise Sansui Sp1200's have ports and those only go down to 45 hz anyway so why bother with ports?? But I use subs so I don't care about ports anyway. :)

I agree, and just had a similar discussion, I also love a acoustic suspension speakers sound, the new mass produced ,low to mid priced ported speaker designs , are for a instant customer gratification, with minimal wattage required, and less dependant on system quality and settings. Every review I read on my current new speakers said "remove port plugs for best sound' .......wrong, .....my port plugs are in and as air tight as i can get the cabinet. They now use a little more power to get the same db levels but the lows are now tight and the cabinet has a nice flat response to match the drivers .

m5-3.jpg
emphys.jpg
Need I keep going lol? I think it's clear there are plenty of speakers that are not ported if your wallet can take it as I said.

Last edited:
The powered sub has eliminated the need for the acoustic suspension bookshelf and floor speakers of days gone by. A pair of little shoebox Jamos with a powered sub and your good to go.

The powered sub has eliminated the need for the acoustic suspension bookshelf and floor speakers of days gone by. A pair of little shoebox Jamos with a powered sub and your good to go.

Liking my "shoebox lol" C-103's using a pair of 12" Dayton subs as stands. With a 400watt RMS/channel amp those little shoeboxes really sing.

20190217_195150.jpg

I would guess it is primarily a result of preferences for smaller boxes.

Sealed boxes are smaller all else being equal. Look at ported vs sealed subwoofers from the same manufacturer.

My guess is it's a power consumption and efficiency thing. Sealed speakers/subs, need more power to reach the same SPL.

All else being equal, a sealed subwoofer actually handled higher frequencies better than a ported. So they're preferable when crossing over high to small speakers.

Clearly you've never heard any of the better large speakers being described here, if you had you wouldn't equate them with small speakers paired with a subwoofer. :)

Last edited:
Sealed boxes are smaller all else being equal. Look at ported vs sealed subwoofers from the same manufacturer.

My guess is it's a power consumption and efficiency thing. Sealed speakers/subs, need more power to reach the same SPL.

All else being equal, a sealed subwoofer actually handled higher frequencies better than a ported. So they're preferable when crossing over high to small speakers.

If I were to get a sub it would not be ported. I don't know anything about subs.

You are in error. For a given F3 a ported box can have the same efficiency as a sealed one and be smaller. Or have the same size and be more efficient. Or have the same size and efficiency and have a lower F3.

Because for a given output and driver size a vented woofer has lower excursion it will have lower distortion than a sealed woofer. This can lead to cleaner midrange (from the woofer) and certainly won’t lead to worse midrange. Also since vented woofers are lighter and have stronger motors than sealed woofers they can have more extended response and better midrange. IMO good midrange is more important than anything and is why I favor light cone-powerful motor woofers intended for vented use such as the Altec 416, 515 and 414 and various JBLs and EVs. Of course such woofers, with their large magnets, long tight gaps and large edge wound coils are very expensive to make.

If I were to get a sub it would not be ported. I don't know anything about subs.

Since you no little about subs I suggest you not be dogmatic about what type you prefer. IMO&E execution of the design is more important than the type. I’ve heard both good and bad subs of all types. Well, I never heard a bad tapped horn sub but then you don’t run into many of those unless you hang with the DIY hornies.

The best box sub I ever heard was the Tom Danley designed ServoDrive Contrabass, a vented design (passive radiator). Next best was my pair of JBL Pro 4648s with 6db of EQ at 30hz. Flat to 24hz and dynamically tracked my Altec A5 VOTs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom