Why does Vinyl sound so much more alive than CD Audio?

Vinyl has soul. CDs have...a chrome like surface.
Vinyl has feeling. CDs have, well, 1s and 0s.
Vinyl has wonderful jacket art...CDs have inserts for thier PLASTIC cases.
Vinyl is Vinyl. CDs are plastic coated something in plastic cases.
Vinyl feels wonderful. CDs feel like your getting ripped of.
Vinyl is warm. CDs are cold.
Vinyl brings back memories. CDs bring back, well, nothing really.
Vinyl is like - oh wow! CDs is like - so what.
Vinyl is like the king of hearts. CDs is like the 3 of clubs.
Vinyl is sensitive to the touch. CDs are to hard for me.
Vinyl sound is subscribed onto the medium and exposed. CDs sound is smothered in plastic.
Vinyl has guts. CDs are gut-less
Vinyl gold plated records are worth much more than Gold CDs
You can see vinyl spinning on the tt. You can't see the cd spinning (if that's what it does?)
Vinyl is a ritual. CDs are just shove it in.
Vinyl makes you work. CDs are just plain lazy.
Vinyl smells really nice! CDs have no smell.
Vinyl makes you feel good. CDs don't make you feel like anything.
You get excited when you go to someones house and see Vinyl, you have to look thru them! You have no feeling what-so-ever when you go to someone's house and see CDs.
Vinyl has needles and cartridges and tonearms! CDs have... a laser.
You can warp Vinyl into bowls. You can't warp cds into anything.
You can sell old Vinyl LP covers for big money. Let's see you sell a CD cover!
Vinyl is vibrant. CDs are sterile.
You have the ritual of storing LPs! CDs can just be left laying around, who cares.
Vinyl is way super cool. CDs are not even cool.
Tuning up and adjusting a TT is fun. Try tuning up or adjusting a CD player.
Worn TTs can be rebuilt. worn CD players just go in the garbage.

After hearing a Vinyl album you feel like going downtown and tearing the place apart.
After hearing a CD your ready to go to sleep. Why is that???

CDs are ok, they are convinent, easy, and some CDs even sound pretty good. I love my MFSL and Japanese pressed CDs. There are many advantages of CDs over LPs all except for two really: "feeling" and sound. LPs do sound better than CDs. There just is something about spinning a record that just can't be beat. And everyone really digs it! Just don't bump into the TT! LOL Darn, just scratched another $125 album.

Last edited:
Vinyl sound is subscribed onto the medium and exposed. CDs sound is smothered in plastic.
You can see vinyl spinning on the tt. You can't see the cd spinning (if that's what it does?)
You get excited when you go to someones house and see Vinyl, you have to look thru them! You have no feeling what-so-ever when you go to someone's house and see CDs.
You have the ritual of storing LPs! CDs can just be left laying around, who cares.

After hearing a Vinyl album you feel like going downtown and tearing the place apart.

CDs are ok, they are convinent, easy, and some CDs even sound pretty good. I love my MFSL and Japanese pressed CDs. There are many advantages of CDs over LPs all except for two really: "feeling" and sound. LPs do sound better than CDs. There just is something about spinning a record that just can't be beat. And everyone really digs it! Just don't bump into the TT! LOL Darn, just scratched another $125 album.

......It seems to me that you should replace all instances of "you" with "I". These are your feelings. For example, I don't feel ripped off when I buy a CD. I don't think LP's have a soul either. Neither do CD's to be fair.

They are both good to their owner's. Why is it important that an LP has to "win" anything??

sounds like you need a better CD player or DAC. ;)
and i like the plastic cases from CDs, i only hate it when they put the disc in the cheap and flimsy digipacs.

I think you need help... or shock therapy. It's not a competition or war. It should always be about the music and the medium should not stand in the way, whether that is cd, vinyl or even mp3...

Vinyl to me is classy. CD's nowhere near as much.

Also, I think that its digital downloads that are driving up the sales of vinyl. CD's seem like a rip off when you can just download them and get basicly the same stuff on your computer.
You can't download an LP and have the full impact.

Last edited:
Vinyl to me is classy. CD's nowhere near as much.

Classy is exactly the opposite thought I have when browsing the local used record store. I'm not classy either but at least I have showered sometime in the past week. The extremely knowledgeable guy behind the counter also doesn't come across as classy. Perhaps it's the multiple tattoos and piercings.

I understand the "classy" comment. For someone who didn't grow up in the time of vinyl, LPs could have a certain exotic mystique to them. They've become somewhat romanticized in the movies and TV lately. They're of another time. The cover wear and handwritten names and notes on some used records might seem to hint at a story about the original owner. The nature of handling, care, and storage LPs require dictates more of a personal investment than CDs, and the scale and content of the artwork and liner notes might suggest that significant effort was put into their creation. All that combined could be seen as "classy," where a CD that can be tossed unceremoniously into the back seat of the car and the tiny artwork and chintzy jewel case combined with the ease of endless duplication and downloading without degradation all cry out "cheap commodity."

Sounds like a call action, or something. :scratch2:

Seriously, though, this is about the most subjective post I have seen in this thread in defense of the humble lp. You wind up with the whole vinyl sounds better, though this putting the lp medium on a pedestal makes me wonder if some just have an emotional attachment to the medium independant of its actual virtues and drawbacks.

I grew up with lps, still enjoy them to an extent, but seriously, you like the smell of the lp? The feel of the lp? The ritual of storing lps? How is that any different from the ritual of storing cds? Really? Lps are cool? Says who, you or some guy at a record store? :smoke:

big snip

Of course a reel-to-reel tape deck has ALL the advantages of vinyl you list plus it sounds better. Better channel separation, better S/N ratio. No dust, pops, crackles, scratches or finger marks to impair your listening pleasure. No record cleaning machines - just a Q-tip and some IPA.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
I understand the "classy" comment. For someone who didn't grow up in the time of vinyl, LPs could have a certain exotic mystique to them. They've become somewhat romanticized in the movies and TV lately. They're of another time. The cover wear and handwritten names and notes on some used records might seem to hint at a story about the original owner. The nature of handling, care, and storage LPs require dictates more of a personal investment than CDs, and the scale and content of the artwork and liner notes might suggest that significant effort was put into their creation. All that combined could be seen as "classy," where a CD that can be tossed unceremoniously into the back seat of the car and the tiny artwork and chintzy jewel case combined with the ease of endless duplication and downloading without degradation all cry out "cheap commodity."

CDs are commodities now because they are ubiquitous, just as lps were back in the day. Give cds 10 or 15 years and people will say the same about that medium.

I'm trying to figure out what the heck that mean.

Vinyl makes you work.

That's the point for me. When I want to listen to music, I want to listen to music. I don't necessarily want to pull out an LP, check to see how dirty it is, possibly clean the record, put it on the TT, start it spinning, run the brush over it, make sure the stylus is clean, possibly clean it, move the arm to the right spot, drop the arm, and then go sit and listen to music. I could have been listening to music all that time.

I understand that the ritual is part of the appeal for some but I'm an engineer and I value efficiency. I'd rather spend the time listening.

I suppose I could put on a CD to listen to while I'm prepping the LP for play but that seems like defeating the purpose of both.

"Vinyl makes you work".

Now that's funny. Anybody who thinks playing records is work should follow my up on the iron, I'll show you some goddam work.

I think maybe that depends on context, Tom. Playing a record is certainly more work than playing a CD, no?

CDs are commodities now because they are ubiquitous, just as lps were back in the day. Give cds 10 or 15 years and people will say the same about that medium.

Very possible, but my comment was part of an attempt to understand why someone would feel that an LP is "classier" than a CD at this moment in time, especially if they didn't live through a period when LPs were ubiquitous. No argument, just clarification.

Back
Top Bottom