Why have multiple speaker sets?

Cliff O

My supplier is trying to talk me into buying some jbl 4312 s in addition to the Dahlqist DQ-10 s he sold me. He says depends on the genre and I need speakers for each genre. Btw he sells me stuff at about 2/3 what I can get it on eBay so I'm not worried about getting ripped off. Just wondering why he says I need multiple speaker sets. Input please.

I simply acquired several pairs to eventually create a couple 5.1 systems and a basic 2-channel system. I still have them all cram-jammed in one room in a 5.1 system, and constantly swap pairs in/out of rotation.

I don't know how much the genre matters. I have found that a really good pair of speakers will handle most types of music I listen to. That being said, I do run separate stereo speakers from my 5.1 set up. This is mainly because it is hard to find a matching center channel for vintage speakers. The other advantage is I can swap out the 2 channel speakers without messing with the home theater system (I have separate components powereing my home theater and stereo).

I dunno 'bout anyone else,but for me one of the primary reasons for having a broad/varied assortment of speakers is to be able to try out newly acquired equipment and quickly nail down the new combo's synergy with regards to a given speaker "voicing".

Not that each genre will ABSOLUTELY require a specific speaker voicing,but yeah undoubtedly some speakers do indeed excel for certain genres of music,while others do well with a wide variety of genres of music,but one should also keep in mind that certain equipment often enough goes hand & hand with a given genre of music as well,and that kinda goes back to my original point ^^^^ above ^^^^.

And then there's that 'ol can-O-worms that's called personal preference.

FWIW

Bret P.

Last edited:
Different speakers sound, well "different". I have multiple sets of speakers, and like mentioned above--depends on the mood and type of music I am diggin' on any given day. Thank God that I live alone (just me and the dog), and he doesn't care about the blue painter's tape on the floor to mark where each different pair needs to be positioned when I pull them out.

Jon Dahlquist said in an interview that there are really only two kinds of speakers - "they are here" speakers, for example Klipschorns, and "you are there" speakers, like his DQ-10s. Your 4312's are "they are here" speakers, of the "West Coast" (not very accurate) variety in particular. I made a pair of Klipschorn copies in my youth, but have pursued "you are there" sound since. The alternate presentation can be very satisfying, and convincing, so I'm aiming to end up with both. If they are in sound shape, I recommend giving them a try, to see what the fuss was about. :)

Well, I have certain types of music that sound better on certain speakers. Not all recordings are the same, nor is all music the same, so some speakers work better that others.

Oh, and because it is cool to have speakers all over the house.

Jon Dahlquist said in an interview that there are really only two kinds of speakers - "they are here" speakers, for example Klipschorns, and "you are there" speakers, like his DQ-10s. Your 4312's are "they are here" speakers, of the "West Coast" (not very accurate) variety in particular. I made a pair of Klipschorn copies in my youth, but have pursued "you are there" sound since. The alternate presentation can be very satisfying, and convincing, so I'm aiming to end up with both. If they are in sound shape, I recommend giving them a try, to see what the fuss was about. :)

I'd have to kind of agree, but he didn't mention planars or e-stats which are a whole different animal. I also don't necessarily agree that the "West Coast sound" is not very accurate. My current stable of speakers are a bunch of JBLs (many of which are studio control monitors), Infinity Kappa 9s, and a couple pair of Magneplanars. I will totally agree that they all sound different and perform differently with different types of music, but I don't buy into that whole East Coast vs West Coast sound generalization, because it is exactly that--a generalization painted with a broad brush--I guess you could apply the same generalizations to the "British Sound".

I have multiple sets - because I can :D

That's the best answer yet :thumbsup:

I prefer having one pair of really good (IMO) speakers set up optimally in a treated room rather than having 12 pair of mediocre speakers crammed into a room with none being optimally set up. Besides, any unused speaker in a room acts as a resonator. If you don't believe this, attach a scope probe to a pair of unused speakers and monitor the output while playing music on a different pair.

When you have multiple pairs of speakers in a room none of them can be set up optimally. The very least you should do with unused speakers is to short the input terminals.

Because whenever you get set up to listen to some music in one room, a family member will want to watch TV, talk on the phone, or practice the accordion there.

Back
Top Bottom