Why Record Cleaning Machines Are A Complete Waste Of Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Smith

I had two prized Columbia 6 Eye records cleaned on a VPI Record Cleaning Machine. The results will underwhelm you-

I think it might also be helpful to add a rinse after the cleaning fluids. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and it looks like the OP has gone to consider efforts to express his, even with video's.

banghead_zps1tug6f5j.gif

I use a RCM I built from scratch. It uses a VPI wond and a wet and dry vacuum to suck up the cleaning fluid I make. Used records I buy always play much better after they have been cleaned so your remark about not using a RCM is false as far as I am concerned.

Where's the collection plate?

Last edited:
You will have to use that adaptive filtering in your head to remove those ticks,pops, scratches and distortion.
And i think 78's are great.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and it looks like the OP has gone to consider efforts to express his, even with video's.

I like this enough to quote it and pile on.

The OP sounds sincere in his video and I didn't see anything in his approach that looked like it would cause permanent damage. I'm gonna give him props for suggesting that there is such a thing as "good enough" in this hobby. Probably a third of my records didn't get anything more than regular wipes with a Discwasher and they survived decades in the smoke filled rooms I haunted back then.

Now, though, I've got the tools and the time to do more. My experience is that advanced cleaning methods make a big difference, but I'm not gonna slam anyone who decides to stop chasing the dragon at another point and be happy with where they land.

50% of the cleaning mix is 90% Alcohol.

Yeah, I saw that, did a quick Google search and didn't see a consensus on outright damage. It's heavier in IPA than anything I ever used, but seems less harmful than other concoctions I've read about. Plus it looks like it's applied as a spray, so probably not terribly concentrated in actual use.

FWIW I only watched the first video. If there's a belt sander in video #2, I may need to edit my comments.:eek:

Now, though, I've got the tools and the time to do more. My experience is that advanced cleaning methods make a big difference, but I'm not gonna slam anyone who decides to stop chasing the dragon at another point and be happy with where they land.

The need to be right is the central issue of this thread. :boring:

Thanks for doing the videos Arthur. The more info a person has the better equipped to make a good decision about future purchases. I know what you are saying. Some records just don't improve with cleaning. These records have some damage to the information on the record. From your pictures I can see that your Louis Armstrong record has seen better days. That doesn't mean it's not a great record it just says that it isn't in perfect condition. The pops and clicks are not going away and no record cleaning machine is going to be able to restore that record. In my opinion the better condition the vinyl is in the more improvement you will notice with a good cleaning no matter what machine or process you are using. If I threw out every record I have that won't benefit from a good cleaning my collection would be greatly and sorely reduced. But as you know that isn't going to happen in my collection or probably in yours either. I find the carbon fibre brush to be a very good way to do a light cleaning prior to playing. I also like to give the stylus a bit of a clean also. I have considered purchasing a transient noise eliminator for those times when I play my slightly damaged records. I am going to do a search on eBay right away. Again don't be too bummed out because everyone doesn't completely agree with you that expensive cleaning machines are a complete waste of money. For $100 you can get a Canfab cleaning machine that will do a pretty good job and at that cost it won't break the bank. Hope you enjoy that vinyl.

I love my Okki Nokki and wish I had gotten one sooner. I will wash a terribly dirty album twice using my detergent/surfactant mix and rinse twice afterwards. I am quite pleased with my results.

I suggest the OP experiment and in time will find a procedure that works well for him.

60 year old vinyl played on turntables with crowbar tone arms and dual sided flip sapphire needles created groove damage and scratches that are noisy!

Who knew? I mean who really knew this was possible?

And a record machine can't clean damaged vinyl and make it noise free?

Oh the horror. Who knew?!

Thank goodness for this wisdom.

Perhaps just perhaps....a person should buy better condition vinyl. And if its rare and in excellent shape, then expect to pay real money for the ownership of collectible vinyl.

Oh my Lord, the horror of record wear on vinyl from the 40's and 50's. Those people were barbarians. Maybe, just maybe buying scratched and damaged vinyl is the waste of money.

Regards
Mister Pig

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom