wide and narrow bands-weak stations

blinky

Is wide and narrow bands importion in picking up the weakest stations, fm sensitivity and long distance stations?
Thank You.

Sensitivity ("Q" in radio terms), not selectivity is more important in DXing FM stations.

Wide/Narrow is more a function of selectivity, the ability to separate stations that are next to each other on the dial. In a non-crowded area this can be a benefit.

The "wide" setting will allow a wider bandwidth, generally providing a wider range audio signal to be received, at the sacrifice of some sensitivity.

In technical terms, the narrow setting provides a higher "Q", which can be beneficial for DXing FM stations.

reply to markw

Thanks for the reply. Does Dixing mean receeiving?
Do you know about I F filters and why they are important?
Do you know the relation between gangs and I F filters?
Would you say that typical (1970-1980) am/fm stereo's are set at wide unless stated on the stereo receiver.
Thank You

"DXing" is a term used meaning receiving distant radio stations. Generally, it is aplied to AM but it can be applied to FM as well.

Receivers from that era were generally "set" to a happy medium that allowed what the manufacturers would consider the best compromise between disatanc and bandwidth. Some allowed switching between both

Your other questions are good and will require more detail than can be covered in this forum. They will require more than a few steps be filled in. Perhaps a visit to a local library for some books on radio theory and design are in order.

Blinky,

Do a google goups search on "DX'ing" and you will find a wealth of discussion on what is a worldwide interest. You will also find discussions on IF's and installing aftermarket IF\filters to improve your radio for DX and all that good stuff.

People DX AM, FM, SW, TV, etc. Some of us like myself even DX deep space with radio telescopes in a program called SETI. That takes a rather sophisticated 'radio' and a really big highly directional antenna, but is considered a path to the ultimate DX prize.

Rob
"terrestrial DX'ing is for wimps" ;)

reply to markw and rob

Markw thanks, you've help me understand a lot.

Rob, I have try to use google that you have seen me post
but i don't get answer and i or can't find what i'm looking for.
I must not be doing it right. I would definitely like to know about those I F filters. I have never heard about google goups search.
How do you do it? I want to know all that good stuff.

Rob what you are doing is truly amaze. I think it's great. It's so overwhelming. I didn't know people are doing that, Deep space. I thought CONTACT was just a movie. Still i would like to know how
to do google group search?
Thank You

Last edited:
Blinky,

Go to www.google.com At the top of the page there are buttons to select web search, pictures search and groups search. Select groups. On the next page select 'advanced groups search'. On the next page type in the search word 'DX'ing'. Ask for fifty or 100 results where it lets you choose how many. Then hit search. You will be presented with pages and pages of links, each with a few words about the contents. It may not work exactly like this (I need more memory) but it is pretty straight forward.

Although fictionalized by Carl Sagan, the writer of the novel Contact from which the movie was made, many of the concepts and techniques described about the radio search and the telescopes shown are real.

Have fun.

Rob

reply to rob

Thanks for the help. I would like to talk again about what you are doing sometime. But for now i have to stay on track with my project. Thanks Again.

Back
Top Bottom