Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

Fedallah

Мне надо много кофе
Artist - Wilco
Title - Sky Blue Sky
Year of Release - 2007
Record Label - Nonesuch
Genre - Rock

I'm not sure what happened to Wilco on this album. Nearly all of the songs sound the same. The ones that don't sound the same don't really impress either. 'Impossible Germany' probably qualifies as the best song on the disc, but the solo on the end doesn't mesh well with the rest of the track. Usually I'm very fond of Cline's guitar work (see Ashes of American Flags on the Kicking Television live record) but here it's annoying, rapidly morphing into a collection of high-pitched electronic squawks and warbles that do nothing to help along the first bit of the track. I heard the band play 'Impossible Germany' live last October. Then, it sounded like Zeppelin, and it was good. Here, it sounds like a headache, and it is bad.

The lack of a strong, heavier rock backing to pretty much all of the songs means that the album rides on its lyrics. Unfortunately, Tweedy's songwriting falls flat. Summerteeth this ain't. There were some weak moments on Ghost, but those were easily excusable. Now take all of those minor weak moments and stretch them across an entire disc. 'Side with the Seeds' is bad (what the hell is Tweedy singing about here?). 'Shake it Off' is even worse, with bad lyrics and terrible music. The 'dah-dee-dum' chord progression throughout forces me to hit the skip button without fail.

The album's ultimate failing is that with pretty much the same musical backing throughout, no track can easily stand apart from another. Good rock albums are about contrast, with harder and softer numbers sprinkled throughout in an alternating fashion, each one setting the other apart; they all stand out. Here that can't happen, and the result is a collection of music that induces nothing but boredom.

I really want to like this disc. It's by Wilco, after all, and they've been one of my most favorite bands for a long time now. But I can't, for the aforementioned reasons. This album has been compared to work by the Eagles. There's two problems with that comparison: the first is that the Eagles already came and went. The adult-contemporary yacht-rock genre is so heavily mined that Wilco isn't setting itself apart here. The second problem is that the Wilco of Sky Blue Sky is simply not as good as the Eagles were.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fedallah said:
I'm not sure what happened to Wilco on this album... 'Impossible Germany' probably qualifies as the best song on the disc...solo on the end doesn't mesh well with the rest... sounds like a headache, and it is bad.

I am inclined to agree with you on this assessment. Heard the whole album on Saturday, heard the song you mentioned ("Impossible Germany") again this morning on a public radio broadcast. Not the best material from Tweedy's Wilco, is it? Moreover, it's light years apart from the quality of his songcraft with middle and late period Uncle Tupelo.

Fedallah said:
...the Wilco of Sky Blue Sky is simply not as good as the Eagles were.

Don't know if I'd go that far, but then it's very difficult to convince me that the Eagles did anything worth listening to more than once.

Thank god you agree

I so want to love this album. I am on my tenth listen, hoping to fall in love with it, but it just isn't happening. Shake it off - makes me grit my teeth. It's on right now and makes me wish it wasn't on vinyl so I could skip quickly to the next track. Although Impossible Germany is musically good, I hate the way he sings the word Germany. It's forced and the cadence is off. It's almost like the didn't know what else to say, so he said Germany quickly.

To me it sounds like Tweedy has tried to do the opposite of A Ghost is Born and somehow missed the middle ground. This ablum is sorely missing rock and roll. And what's the deal with the Beatlesesque parts in the song Hate it Here? I swear it's Paul and John, not Jeff.

Two good things - 1) good vinyl pressing of the album and really well put together gatefold sleeve. 2) you get a free copy of the CD when you preordered the vinyl. Now I have the best of both worlds (or two different versions of an album I won't listen to much).

In Hate it Here, Tweedy calls out "Tell me, what am I gonna do?" Try this Jeff, don't make another album quite like this.

I actually like this album, and thought it was much more accessible, enjoyable, than A Ghost Is Born. But Yankee Hotel Foxtrot will always be my favorite Wilco album.

JD

I sort of gave up on Wilco when Jay Bennett left. I think Jeff needs a Jay (whether Bennett or Farrar) to be competitive with and to get his creative genius in gear. I will always be a huge Wilco fan, but my favorite Wilco includes Jay Bennett.

Additionally, Jay Bennett also needs a collaborator to be successful. He does not have the best voice and having Edward Burch sing helps out. But, man, Jay sure can create magic in the studio. Jay is amazing with almost every instrument he picks up. I wish he and Jeff would collaborate again.

John

Agreed John. And I would also say that the reverse isn't true. To me, Jay Farrar has been quite successful w/o Tweedy. He's a rare talent.

JD

I just bought SBS today. So far I like it. I don't hear the Eagles, thank God, but like Summer Teeth there are definate Beatle references. Like most Wilco LP's it surprises even if you don't like it. That's a good thing, I think.

cubdog

I really liked Sky Blue Sky. Keep in mind, I really didn't like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or A Ghost Is Born, so a return to linear songcraft was enough to get me excited.

Sure the album doesn't really plow any new ground, but I'm not complaining. I know this album was recorded for Nonesuch in Chicago with a sober Tweedy in 2006, but it feels like it could have been recorded in some mansion's studio in Laurel Canyon for Asylum utilizing mountains of blow in 1974.

That's a compliment, as Asylum artsists (aside from the unimpeachable Warren Zevon) have always been a guilty pleasure for me. Add Sky Blue Sky to my list of guilty pleasures.

BONUS FACTOID: The vinyl pressing of Sky Blue Sky was mastered by AKer Steve Hoffman. Might be worth checking out!

Gotta say boys, I love this record...not too twangy, not too experiemental, just some really great songs played by a great band...can't wait to see them this year at ACL!

I actually like this album, and thought it was much more accessible, enjoyable, than A Ghost Is Born. But Yankee Hotel Foxtrot will always be my favorite Wilco album.

JD

I agree 100% Jeff. Sky Blue Sky has been rotation since your care package arrived and will stay for the foreseeable future. :thmbsp:

-dave

JD

I love this album and all of their others. Sky Blue Sky will stand as my second favorite to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot as well.

Sky Blue Sky is more subtle than the last 2 studio efforts and in a quiet way more powerful. It's a delicious record of subtle nuance and outstanding songcraft. The songs sound relaxed and unforced as well as virtuosic in a quiet non vain way. Superb album....my wife and I save Wilco for special evenings then listen to 2 or 3, one after the other.

Wilco remains my favorite band in popular music.

I don't think I could pick a favorite Wilco album... they are probably my favorite band. Jeff Tweedy's songwriting moves me emotionally more than anything I've ever heard. I've been know to break down sobbing when listening to Wilco.

If I HAD to pick ONE I'd pick Kicking Television: Live In Chicago :)

Sky Blue Sky isn't my FAVORITE Wilco album, but like Art K. said it... "Sky Blue Sky is more subtle than the last 2 studio efforts and in a quiet way more powerful. It's a delicious record of subtle nuance and outstanding songcraft. The songs sound relaxed and unforced as well as virtuosic in a quiet non vain way. Superb album..."

I like it. SBS is my introduction to Wilco. I bought it on CD first and now have it on 180 gram vinyl. I think it sounds exceptionaly good on polk audio SDA's. This recording has a huge soundstage and the ability to pick out every instrument and locate the layering and positioning of the vocals.

Scott

At first, I felt much the same as the OP, feeling "Impossible Germany" was the only great song.
After a few listenings, it really grew on me and now I love it. Watching Wilco on PBS' "Austin City Limits" helped me appreciate it and Nels Cline's guitar work as well.

Sky Blue Sky is the first album of Wilco's that I've heard. It took me several listenings, but it has become one of my favorite "new music" albums.

Sky Blue Sky is the first album of Wilco's that I've heard. It took me several listenings, but it has become one of my favorite "new music" albums.

I feel like the guy from the 80's kids TV show reading rainbow...

If you like this record..... Ha!

Seriously though... My all time favorite wilco record is, "Being there" with "yankee hotel foxtrot" a very close second.
Congrats on finding chi-towns best band.

Earlier this year, Wilco did five nights at the RIV in Chicago- free download of all five nights....

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/representative-of-the-midwest-diggin-on-wilco/

check, i think night three with Andrew Bird. Good stuff!:music:

been a fan since the uncle tupelo days and i must say this one ranks up there with "being there"
on a side note - saw wilco in vancouver about 4 years ago at ubc stadium with REM on a lovely summer evening-anybody else see that show?

Back
Top Bottom