1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

wild edible plants thread

Discussion in 'Cooking & Spirits' started by gogofast, Dec 7, 2012.

1. onepixel

onepixel .

Oh man, awesome! One of my favorites! Ever try making a Japanese dish called Matsutake Gohan (rice)?

gogofast likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. onepixel

onepixel .

No I haven't. Currently being on Maui, the seasons are kinda messed up for me. I was surprise to find that persimmons are grown up at higher elevation.

3. gogofast

gogofast AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah, Probably not an athentic Japanese recipe but with larger opened Matsutakes, I chop them into tiny pieces and mix with washed rice and cook it in pressure cooker. Season with light soy based sauce and sesame oil. Amazing aroma for sure.

onepixel likes this.
  4. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

We also had a hackberry tree in the yard that produced small but delicious berries. I've read that our Native Americans loved them and used them to flavor foods.

[​IMG]

gogofast likes this.
  5. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Lot of hackberry around these parts but mostly big trees with no berries. Hmm. :idea:

6. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

7. onepixel

onepixel .

I had some of that. Tasted nasty and that was about it.

8. r_deming

r_deming Active Member

Apple season on the mountain here! Apple trees everywhere, at least a dozen trees on the .4 mile route to work. Not sure of the exact varieties they are, but delicious none the less.

9. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

I grew up at the foot of small mountain where there were few apple trees but lots of crab apple trees. They can cause stomach cramps but we ate them anyway preferably with a sprinkle of salt. They were best made into crab apple jelly.

[​IMG]

onepixel, gogofast and Eric n Kc like this.
  10. gogofast

Never tried any mind altering plants and mushrooms, but every time I see a beautiful glowing red Amanitas in the woods, they do make me wonder what might happen if I eat 'em.

11. onepixel

onepixel .

I've never tried Amanita muscaria. I've been told to parboil it first and dump the liquid. It is toxic. But that may remove the high.
    I've tried psilocybin and that's stuff is fun. They were picked form fields at UW.

12. onepixel

onepixel .

Maui used to have wild Mountain Apples. Pear shaped, white, rosy, and juicy sweet flesh. I haven't seen any in awhile.

13. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

I read somewhere some of the native Americans used to have the shaman process those red mushrooms and he'd neutralize the poison. Then all you had to do to get high was...drink his pee.

gogofast likes this.
  14. gogofast

lol. that really might have worked.