Wild mushroom foraging..

Lazarus Long

This time of year is great for wild mushrooms. Driving home tonite I spotted a large patch of chicken of the woods growing on the side of a tree.. These are easy to spot and identify. They are orange on top, yellowish on the bottom, and have NO gills. 20180927_180507.jpg

Ahh yes, but mushrooms arent really plans
Never tried those, describe the taste/texture?

Chicken of the woods actually does taste kind of like chicken.. I cooked some tonight with garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, and about 3/4 cup of marsala wine at the end..

Got turkey tails around here but I have not seen that color combo. Interesting.

Never tried those, describe the taste/texture?

If you were asking about Blewits, they are said to be meaty and complex. I thought they were a little too funky, almost a locker room effect, and put it down to waiting too long to pick them. Sad too because I must have picked a peck or two and started cooking them up to freeze. I waited a day and tried em again and just didn't like them. Will surely try again though if I find them young and tender.

Mine were tan on top, violet underneath.

I always do about 5 kinds of identification before trying a new one. Habitat, time of year, size, color, other aspects of appearance (which has half a dozen properties at least: structure, cap, gills, etc.), and finally, an overnight spore print. Then cook them up and eat two bites, leaving a couple uncooked just in case they need more ID later. If the two bites sit well then have at em. I've eaten maybe half a dozen common edible varieties in my area with no problems yet. The safest are ones that are not known to have poisonous lookalikes. Some that are edible do, and I don't bother with those. Not enough of an expert at it.

Just last month I read about a family in the SE US who all got sick eating the green-spored Lepiota, aka 'vomit mushroom'. Not deadly but based on the name alone you would not want to eat it. Apparently it's responsible for more common mushroom illnesses than any other mushroom. Must look like something edible - maybe a shaggy mane, before it opens.

Got turkey tails around here but I have not seen that color combo. Interesting.

If you were asking about Blewits, they are said to be meaty and complex. I thought they were a little too funky, almost a locker room effect, and put it down to waiting too long to pick them. Sad too because I must have picked a peck or two and started cooking them up to freeze. I waited a day and tried em again and just didn't like them. Will surely try again though if I find them young and tender.

Mine were tan on top, violet underneath.

I always do about 5 kinds of identification before trying a new one. Habitat, time of year, size, color, other aspects of appearance (which has half a dozen properties at least: structure, cap, gills, etc.), and finally, an overnight spore print. Then cook them up and eat two bites, leaving a couple uncooked just in case they need more ID later. If the two bites sit well then have at em. I've eaten maybe half a dozen common edible varieties in my area with no problems yet. The safest are ones that are not known to have poisonous lookalikes. Some that are edible do, and I don't bother with those. Not enough of an expert at it.
I cooked up some blewits a day after picking and they had gotten mushy.

Back
Top Bottom