1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Will any of my stuff work with CD-4?

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by N8Nagel, Dec 5, 2018.

1. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a Technics SL-1650 and also two Micro Acoustics MA2002e cartridges, will either of them decode CD-4, or do I need to have my Dual 1229Q repaired and will I need a different cartridge? Just curious.

I can't test as I don't have any CD-4 LPs and the only decoder that I have is a Marantz CD-400, working condition unknown (although I have verified that it works as a 2 channel phono preamp.) Just trying to plan my next moves.

The MA2002e is only rated to 20 kHz, but then again I'm pretty sure so is the AT440MLb which is a known good CD-4 cart. I don't know if the 1650 is good either, but rumor has it that the cables that Technics used back then were low capacitance and decent quality. So maybe someone's tried it?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Nashou66

Nashou66 AK Subscriber Subscriber

You'll need a cartridge with either a Shibata needle which Quadraphonic sound is what it was developed for, or a line contact or micro ridge stylus.

The tables don't matter as much i'd think.

Nashou

3. tcdriver

tcdriver AK Subscriber Subscriber

To successfully play a CD-4 (aka Quadradisc) disc, you will need the following:

1. CD-4 encoded record. It should say CD-4 or Quadradisc on the cover.

2. CD-4 demodulator, either stand alone or built into a receiver, preamp or integrated amplifier.

3. CD-4 capable phono cartridge. i.e. capable of frequency response to 45kHz. The carrier frequency, 30kHz., is frequency modulated from 20kHz. to 45kHz.

4. Turntable with low capacitance arm wiring and low capacitance interconnects. The total capacitance from headshell to the end of the cable that plugs into the CD-4 capable phono inputs should be < 100pF.​

Some examples of CD-4 (Quadradisc) records:
    [​IMG]

I LIKE MUSIC likes this.