will preamp improve output from cart?

bobinaz

Will the rcvr (vintage)see any difference if I have a low output cartridge on my tt going thru a good pre-amp(marantz 3800) vs going directly into the rcvr? That is to ask, will a pre-amp improve/increase the output of a cartridge as seen by the rcvr??

Different Preamps will have different gain. Unfortunately most vintage equipment was designed for use with high output moving magnet cartridges.

Since you are just using the pre as a phono stage you should be able to get the gain you need. There's a couple ways to do it. You could take the pre outputs to the amp to a line level input of the receiver and adjust the volume for the gain you need. I believe the 3800 has record level adjustments. If you take the tape loop out to a line level input of the receiver you can adjust the record level for the gain you need. This is the method I would try first. The tape loop bypasses the tone controls, the less circuits the signal has to go through the better.

Since you are adding additional stages of amplification, cables, and equipment with it's own power supply, you could be adding more noise and distortion to the signal.

Can't hurt to try and it out and see if it works for you.

X

Back
Top Bottom