1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Will the Japanese market Yamaha T-S501 AM/FM work in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by bergun, Oct 10, 2018 at 5:58 AM.

1. bergun

bergun Active Member

I have a Yamaha A-S801 Amplifier in silver and looking to add a matching Yamaha T-S501 AM/FM Tuner in silver, but that model is for the Japanese market only.

With that said, will a Japanese market AM/FM tuner work in the United States? If not, now difficult would it be to have it modified by a professional to work in the United States?

Thanks for looking!!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Super Member

Will work fine you will likely need a transformer to run at 100V, that is it.

Unless the tuner has accommodation for different incoming voltages.

3. amptramp

amptramp Active Member

The Japanese FM band is different from the North American FM band. It was 76 - 90 MHz and is now 76 - 95 MHz. It is not the 88 - 108 MHz that we use.

Aspen and KentTeffeteller like this.
  4. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Super Member

Well then you're fine then as long as you don't listen above 95!

5. vwestlife

vwestlife Well-Known Member

In addition to the difference in frequency range, the FM de-emphasis in Japan is 50 µS, versus the 75 µS used in North America, so it will sound too bright.

And also the AM channel spacing is 9 kHz, versus the 10 kHz spacing used in North America, so only some of the AM channels will line up.

6. bergun

bergun Active Member

Thanks for the replies... I guess it's basically a lost cause if I go this route since it appears to that this isn't something a professional audio equipment center could/can modify to work properly in the U.S.

...Still don't understand why Yamaha doesn't sell their silver faced, "mid-line" AM/FM Tuners and CD Players in the U.S./Canadian markets.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Yamaha does not. So, compromise must be made, or go vintage Yamaha from the Silver era.

8. bergun

bergun Active Member

Kind of be staying away from used/vintage audio equipment these days... Have a garage full of working and dead units that I've bought over the last 20+ years.

Plus, I don't have the skills to properly work/fix my own gear... I guess that if I could find somebody to also refinish several metal faceplates in a durable semi-gloss silver finish AND redo most, if not all of the original silk screened factroy markings, that would push me back into the used/vintage market... But, that's not going to happen in my life time.

I went with a new Yamaha A-S801 since it should be the last amplifier I should need... I also like having the main units to be from the same maker and if possible, the same series... For the most part.