Will these do? AR 70s

I pulled the grills down this evening. Plenty of time to cure the paint and I’m happy to report it’s on there for good :)

I went straight in to attaching the speaker posts. I’d drilled the holes pretty tight and so needed to tap the posts in with a socket and hammer which gives me confidence there in there good and I won’t need to resort to glue.

How have they panned out?

75574FC5-2E7E-45A7-BFB0-405F6AF7E334.jpeg 4AB09258-D54A-40AB-B0C2-07C7A7CBDF84.jpeg D24EE3FD-998D-447A-8208-611D37AE8EB2.jpeg

I’m particularly pleased with the cuts for the woofers. Probably unnecessary but I think these touches scream how much love has gone in to them:

F2D1AD66-764D-4682-AA60-8FFC5CA0FFBB.jpeg

So now I just need to do the grill cloth. The cheap eBay stuff is too thick and crappy looking so I’ve put in the samples to see how they look:

054B1A25-5E89-4467-A430-CFB2A0E87EFF.jpeg 99DE719E-BB61-4A2D-90E8-405D18229BD0.jpeg A96CFAB6-2535-42AE-9DB6-055A065C6D06.jpeg

Here’s one with a white sample to get the right colour balance. I know which I prefer:

DFB59684-4878-4228-BA6B-C57EC25B9073.jpeg

Last edited:
I pulled the grills down this evening. Plenty of time to cure the paint and I’m happy to report it’s on there for good :)

I went straight in to attaching the speaker posts. I’d drilled the holes pretty tight and so needed to tap the posts in with a socket and hammer which gives me confidence there in there good and I won’t need to resort to glue.

How have they panned out?

View attachment 1189407 View attachment 1189408 View attachment 1189410

I’m particularly pleased with the cuts for the woofers. Probably unnecessary but I think these touches scream how much love has gone in to them:

View attachment 1189409

So now I just need to do the grill cloth. The cheap eBay stuff is too thick and crappy looking so I’ve put in the samples to see how they look:

View attachment 1189411 View attachment 1189412 View attachment 1189413

Here’s one with a white sample to get the right colour balance. I know which I prefer:

View attachment 1189415
Do you have any fabric stores nearby? They usually have lots of very light weight fabrics that may work sonically and visually for you.

Yeah I do. I actually like the one on the right anyway and it’s proper speaker grill fabric.

I’ve been looking for a light grey fabric but think it will be too white looking. Hence the darker/mid grey I think works pretty nicely:

FA42B701-2C62-4CE0-97D2-673E14870E7A.jpeg

1. Not overly light so it looks too white
2. Proper speaker fabric
3. Still retains a slightly vintage look I think against the walnut

My wife likes the silver fabric (on the left), but it’s too sparkly and is a little over the top.

Last edited:
I’m thinking of making some nice stands for my speakers. Our speakers for the TV died the other day so I’m going to try and sneak my AR’s in and see if the wife notices ;)

Running them on the floor isn’t going to work though so keen to see what options there are I can make.

Stands for speakers this size are typically 8-12 inch height. I built stands for a set of Design Acoustics PS-10's and in the thread, dozens of AKer examples were posted. The range of designs was impressive from very basic wood to wild with tensioned steel cables. Google speaker stands, you'll get plenty of ideas.

Hmmm, I’m thinking something like these Kendrick stands (how amazing are the Kenrick speakers!):

C131359C-08A5-4188-A569-6783F0417454.jpeg

I think these might be Kenrick too and I really like how the legs are joined:

485DCBDD-76C0-498F-9488-2847D4DBA27F.jpeg

Last edited:
I cracked this evening... wet sanded the grills back and applied a final light coat. Not because of the way the paint looked on the body filler but because the 3 coats of paint were rough to the touch and were going to snag the grill cloth.

Laying up drying before my cloth arrived this week:

597FC822-084A-4A5B-B165-1948CBBBC9A4.jpeg

Thanks Glenn, I went through it yesterday and was looking for ideas. I only need something about 8” high I think and am really sold on the second Kenrick stands. Just need to find some quality hardwood to make them out of.

My local hardware centre Bunnings doesn’t have a great selection of hardwoods, I’d love to make them out of Walnut but they only have Tasmanian Oak. I suppose I could stain them.

I can also confirm WAF was spot on... “eeerm, No!” Was her comment. I’ve said tough as they replaced some crappy HT speakers anyway, they’re still there for the moment :)

Thanks Glenn, I went through it yesterday and was looking for ideas. I only need something about 8” high I think and am really sold on the second Kenrick stands. Just need to find some quality hardwood to make them out of.

My local hardware centre Bunnings doesn’t have a great selection of hardwoods, I’d love to make them out of Walnut but they only have Tasmanian Oak. I suppose I could stain them.

I can also confirm WAF was spot on... “eeerm, No!” Was her comment. I’ve said tough as they replaced some crappy HT speakers anyway, they’re still there for the moment :)
Let them stay there for a while, she'll get use to them, and may actually enjoy their sound. I think they look great in the space.
Regarding the stands, you could always put walnut veneer over the oak so they match your cabs.

I found a board in Bunnings that I think I could cut a top from and then laminate the board together for legs too:

F109BB52-F4B2-4321-8374-82A2141251F1.jpeg

SPEAKERS ARE DONE!!!!!!!!!

My grill cloth came in so I set about stapling it to the grills. A very nerve wracking experience as I didn’t want to ruin them but I used the Simply Speakers video and pics of MCM_Fans grills as a guide.

I’d bought plenty of cloth to make sure I had enough:

D8CD617B-8766-466D-8A46-190C5F47D870.jpeg

Grabbed the air stapler and set about getting them on the grills. Before though I tested the air pressure on some scrap:

73522D42-39CD-42B5-92DE-A84DE04490D9.jpeg

I did the long edge first, stapling in the centre and then stretching slightly to staple the ends too, making sure I gentle stretched the second side as I stapled it. I stretched it further on the top and then did the corners. The corners are not easy but once you get the concept, they’re pretty easy. I had to pull 2 staples out at the beginning before I got the technique, but was pretty comfortable with it after a couple.

First one done:

F17385C2-A2F6-4ABF-A7E7-D78937D8999B.jpeg

With the AR logo attached. It was a firm fit and I had to use a hammer to put the spring washer on the back:

F0DE6B4F-AFD2-4064-A8EC-16E35D4E20FE.jpeg

I couldn’t be happier!!! The colour of the grills is perfect and they look beautiful all done:

A646DF1F-E2E4-45E0-A760-606C03F0F56C.jpeg 18777C37-E931-4916-AD43-EF9CDE08574C.jpeg 8CD9158A-9189-46EE-A607-6C5D67577A8C.jpeg

Just need to make some stands now.

SPEAKERS ARE DONE!!!!!!!!!

My grill cloth came in so I set about stapling it to the grills. A very nerve wracking experience as I didn’t want to ruin them but I used the Simply Speakers video and pics of MCM_Fans grills as a guide.

I’d bought plenty of cloth to make sure I had enough:

View attachment 1193520

Grabbed the air stapler and set about getting them on the grills. Before though I tested the air pressure on some scrap:

View attachment 1193521

I did the long edge first, stapling in the centre and then stretching slightly to staple the ends too, making sure I gentle stretched the second side as I stapled it. I stretched it further on the top and then did the corners. The corners are not easy but once you get the concept, they’re pretty easy. I had to pull 2 staples out at the beginning before I got the technique, but was pretty comfortable with it after a couple.

First one done:

View attachment 1193522

With the AR logo attached. It was a firm fit and I had to use a hammer to put the spring washer on the back:

View attachment 1193523

I couldn’t be happier!!! The colour of the grills is perfect and they look beautiful all done:

View attachment 1193524 View attachment 1193525 View attachment 1193526

Just need to make some stands now.
They look gorgeous Ed!
Cheers Glenn

They look gorgeous Ed!
Cheers Glenn

Thanks Glenn, I have to say I’ve impressed myself and feel that the grills are the real star and finish the speakers off perfectly.

They’re also sounding better and better, even with only 40wpc through them (my Kenwood KA-3500). Having them against the back wall has really made a difference. The bass is incredible!

Thanks Glenn, I have to say I’ve impressed myself and feel that the grills are the real star and finish the speakers off perfectly.

They’re also sounding better and better, even with only 40wpc through them (my Kenwood KA-3500). Having them against the back wall has really made a difference. The bass is incredible!
Awesome! As funds permit, upgrade to a more powerful high current amp, you'll be shocked how much they will improve.

Awesome! As funds permit, upgrade to a more powerful high current amp, you'll be shocked how much they will improve.

Damn you ;)

I have a KA-8100 in the main system, might have to keep an eye out for another one of those, or maybe I could squeeze a supreme 600 in :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom