Will these make my world complete?

You won’t know until you try them.
I had a love hate relationship with mine. I was always dazzled at first, but quickly got ear fatigue. Mine were 40 years old with original caps though.

May be a better sounding world - maybe. Speakers are a subjective kind of thing. Ultimately, only you can answer the question. They look like they are in good condition. Listen before you buy if at all possible.

I know there are folks out there who think these are the cat's something or other.
I kinda fear that much horn, and that they may be too harsh or raspy?
There's no way I'd buy them without a test drive.
It's a 50/50 for the tire kick. I may go down to his place (an hour's drive) or he might bring them by to me for an audition.

Last edited:
I've always thought them one of Klipsch's best designs, and loved them. However, I came to prefer something with a more finesse. Could live with a pair though, and I never got ear fatigue, whatever the hell that is, other than an oft repeated chorus. Like other Klipsch's they will play pretty damn loud, but get pretty damn shrill doing it.

Shrill is not acceptable in my world.
I have peavy PA speakers if I want to go shrill. :)
Thanks.

I agree. That's when I turned them down some. I really liked the Heresy bass alignment, though.

That looks like a very nice pair.

Last year a very nice fellow brought a pair to my house to try and match them with a receiver. I don't remember which model he had, early I think. He was very NOT happy with his Yamaha CR-800 and the speakers. And was right to be. We tried them with my CR-600 first. It was a bad match. It took four hours for him to sort through 20 receivers. The receivers are swapped out completely with the push of a button. He settled on a Harman Kardon 730. I myself think he picked the only receiver I had that let the speaker present as a stand alone unit.
My take on the speaker is they are amp picky. I also noticed they are were resistant to placement. On the floor, tilted slightly back, little toe. No stands.
It was a fun day.

Now you know what ear fatigue is.

Nothing to do with fatigue. It is immediate.

Reading back I sound contentious. Don't mean to be, so let me clarify.

When I want to listen loud, with Klipsch speakers, I turn them up but if I get them loud enough that they sound shrill, I immediately back off a skosh - or two - or three - until they no longer sound that way to me. So the effect is immediate, and the adjustment, too.

Now, my hearing rolls off between 10-12khz, and the slope steepens beyond 12. That may cause my shrill point to be at a higher SPL than yours. However, it is more like 2k-4k or so where I think the larger problem lies. Still, different listeners with have different levels where they find the sound objectionable.

Take fellow AKer Tom Brennan - he can't listen to them at any level, and for more reasons than this one issue. Many folks feel that way about Klipsch, and have for fifty/sixty years, at least. He isn't alone. Others love them for a lifetime. Perhaps his hearing is more sensitive than mine. Perhaps he has different preferences based on his own listening experiences. He's no dummy, but a pretty smart cookie. I don't think he has to listen to them very long at all to decide he doesn't like the sound - I'm pretty sure it is immediate. This is what I've garnered over several years reading his posts, and forgive me if I got it wrong, Tom.

I can crank them up pretty good before I find the sound too objectionable, too shrill to enjoy. My maximum loudness for them may differ from others who enjoy the speaker, with some lower, some higher, some not at all, and perhaps a few oblivious who like them at eleven. :)

I simply don't find the need to pound my ear with them at levels I don't enjoy, and for me, again, it is an immediate response that takes no time to discern - thus I find the term fatigue a misnomer. Perhaps an inexperienced listener will take awhile to notice [edit - there are experienced listeners who also use the term - don't infer anything I didn't state here, please].

As I stated earlier, I like Heresies, but I have moved on. Generally, I think Klipsch are speakers that really require a good audition before purchase to discover whether they may be your cup of tea. The pair under consideration here have a lot going for them, with their exemplary condition and upgrades, and are well worth the listen, imo.

Am I right about all this? Maybe I have a couple valid points scattered here and there here and there, but I'm not often right about everything. It's simply my viewpoint. And in my view, calling it fatigue tells me more about the listener than it does the speaker.

Doubtless, there will be some here who disagree with my assessment. I've had my say, and responses are fine, but I'm not interested in debate.

If bbqjoe auditions and buys them, chances are good he will really like what he hears, and if he decides to sell, keeping them in great condition, is likely to at least regain the expenditure, as well as learn something about his own preferences in the process.

Last edited:
You won’t know until you try them.
I had a love hate relationship with mine. I was always dazzled at first, but quickly got ear fatigue. Mine were 40 years old with original caps though.
Exactly. Although my pair were even recapped with Crites Solens. I was exhausted after 30 minutes of listening, before and after the upgrade.

Had two pair, still have one, I like them very much. No problems with ear fatigue, its all in the placement, most just don't take the time to get it right, or don't have the right room. I also like the first generation best, the same as you're looking at.

Amp dependent, sure, but what isn't? Liked them just fine with my Kenwood KA7300, liked them better with my Belles, but that's true of all my speakers lol.

Price is about average, should have no problem getting your money back if you don't like them, I think you will. As mentioned I recently sold one pair, purchased them 5yrs ago for exactly what I sold them for, basically used them for free, gotta like that lol.

We didn't compare them with other speakers in the room. That wasn't the objective. The nice fellow came to me because he didn't want a new career running around the state trying to matching his speakers to a receiver. And from last weeks memory at each new stop no less.
I had most of his suspect receivers up and running all in one place. Lucky for him. Like demo racks back in the day. Remember those? Then nothing sounded at home like it did in the store? Anyway....
My impression of the speaker in my sound room that I know very well was not that of a shrill speaker.
It was that of a tart with no foundation. The speaker was rather rude, abrasive, and obnoxious. All while being able to float around the room with no bass whatsoever to stand on.
It was a most excellent PA speaker.
After hearing them all afternoon I don't think they were ever intended to be a stand alone pair of speakers for stereo listening. I have no idea what Paul Klipsch had in mind for that speaker.

Klipsch, love 'em or hate 'em. I've only had one model — passed on La Scalas for free (due to size) and let Heresies go to a guy who wanted them more (even though I'd already paid for them). The model I have is the humble anonymous KG1, a 2-way standmount. I'm using them now, with a pair of powered subs and AMT super-tweeters — they extend the FR from 25Hz to 30kHz.

I compared them very critically, in this set-up, to the Infinity Modulus with Emit K ribbon, and the KEF Reference 101, KEF's version of the LS3/5A which many think is better.

Both are "higher end" and far more expensive than the KG1 — yet I prefer the Klipsch. They lose very little in detail and nuance, and have a "big speaker" sound most 2-ways with 6.5" woofers on stands can never duplicate, whatever their other virtues.

Three months ago I picked up some Crown-8's from a fellow who had Klipschorn's. After hearing his that's a speaker I would like to have.

I have a pair circa 1981. I just replaced both crossovers with Crites complete crossovers not just the caps replaced. I like the Klipsch sound and when you can get in the sweet spot they sound fantastic,IMO. Now I recently found a deal on a powered subwoofer on CL. When I spent just a little time with placement the Heresies along with the sub sound even better to me now. So if you get them try them with a sub if you can, I believe you will find that is the way to go. IMO.....Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom