William S. Burroughs: A Man Within (2010)

Mystic

We're all born mad
William S. Burroughs: A Man Within
(Leyser, 2010)

One of those things you watch and @ its conclusion wished there was another hour to go.

Amazing the number of prominent artists, especially writers and musicians, he influenced.

I had it 3rd on my netflix DVD list. They skipped past Logan Lucky and BladeRunner 2049 and shipped it out today!
I guess we'll watch it this weekend! Hope my wife is amused (!)
... then again, we did shoot a game of pool at the Naked Lunch Cafe in North Beach when we were in SF in December.

I lived in Lawrence Kansas for several years before Mr. Burroughs passed away there.

One of my roommates announced that he had discovered where he lived. I wanted to just drop in on him, to meet him. It was only a couple of blocks from where we lived, but the roommate didn't want to do it. He wouldn't show me which house it was, either, because he didn't want me bothering him.

I'm still sort of 'miffed' about that situation.

I lived in Lawrence Kansas for several years before Mr. Burroughs passed away there.

One of my roommates announced that he had discovered where he lived. I wanted to just drop in on him, to meet him. It was only a couple of blocks from where we lived, but the roommate didn't want to do it. He wouldn't show me which house it was, either, because he didn't want me bothering him.

I'm still sort of 'miffed' about that situation.

"Bill" wasn't known to take kindly to strangers dropping in on him, especially after "the incident" re: the shooting of his wife. But I hear ya: if he's been in my neighbourhood I'd have tried to meet him, as I did in LA -- San Pedro, to be exact -- one Henry Charles "Hank" Bukowski in the early 1990s, (1992 IIRC). Glad I did; he died not long after, in 1994.

"Bill" wasn't known to take kindly to strangers dropping in on him, especially after "the incident" re: the shooting of his wife. But I hear ya: if he's been in my neighbourhood I'd have tried to meet him, as I did in LA -- San Pedro, to be exact -- one Henry Charles "Hank" Bukowski in the early 1990s, (1992 IIRC). Glad I did; he died not long after, in 1994.
We were neighbors in 1995, I think Bill passed in '97 ?

That's exactly what my squeaking clean roommate said, "He'll shoot us". What my roommate didn't know is that I was "holdin' " . It was 'just' reefer, but it was Hawaiian grown, and reeked like Pine Tar. You could smell a un-lit doobie from ten feet away, when the breeze was blowing.

All I would of had to do was knock on his door, introduce myself as the Herbal Expressions Man. He would have let me in.

Maybe I talk too much :dunno:

:D

Last edited:
We were neighbors in 1995, I think Bill passed in '97 ?

That's exactly what my squeaking clean roommate said, "He'll shoot us". What my roommate didn't know is that I was "holdin' " . It was 'just' reefer, but it was Hawaiian grown, and reeked like Pine Tar. You could smell a un-lit doobie from ten feet away, when the breeze was blowing.

All I would of had to do was knock on his door, introduce myself as the Herbal Expressions Man. He would have let me in.

Maybe I talk too much :dunno:

:D

Well I'd have certainly given it (no pun intended) a shot! Getting a chance to meet Bill Burroughs would have been an overwhelming & unstoppable urge, even if he didnt "answer" the door or opened it, looked, then slammed it shut, but all such risks taken @ the the chance of having (possibly) enjoyed @ least a brief exchange with him. His demeanor, while stern, was tres cool. Probably my favourite "Beat" writer ... and that voice ...

My stoner buddies all talked about him, but he didn't leave the house, and none of us could figure which one it was.

We thought it was south east of down town, you know something to talk about.

Then dudley do right announced, "I know where he lives". Pfft.
... and that voice ...
"I can see two tiny pictures of myself, and there's one of them in each of your eyes".

(Is that from Drug Store Cowboy ??? Naked lunch ? )

Last edited:
My stoner buddies all talked about him, but he didn't leave the house, and none of us could figure which one it was.

We thought it was south east of down town, you know something to talk about.

Then dudley do right announced, "I know where he lives". Pfft.

"I can see two tiny pictures of myself, and there's one of them in each of your eyes".

WGTB-FM (Georgetown University - Local campus radio station, long gone)
used to play an extended version of this during late night shows ...

WGTB! What a blast from the past. I'm not sure I remember the Burroughs readings, but I do remember listening through whole weekends.

I've read both (it has been many years since) but cannot remember which, but it's a helluva good line, innit? That's very similar to the way Hank Bukowski wrote (expressed) things @ his novels.

^^^ P.S. now I don't need to leaf through my copies of NL, DSC, and Bladerunner in vain. ^^^

Back
Top Bottom