1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10: Where Do You Use It?

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by loopstick, Jun 22, 2016.

?

Windows 10: Where Do You Use It?

1. Home - Win 10, Work - Win 10

32 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Home - Win 10, Work - Other

22 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Home - Other, Work - Win 10

6 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Home - Other, Work - Other

24 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Live long a prosper - http://www.lxle.net/ I really like this for an older PC.

Five77 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Five77

Five77 Member

Is it free? LOL

No seriously! Nice find!

3. botrytis

It is free or you can give a donation. I have tried 4 other small linux distros and this one really runs well on 2 GB of memory.

4. Five77

Five77 Member

Cool! Man time flies! My first system was a 386 sx 16 with 1 Mb ram and 20 Mb HD !:idea:

5. botrytis

heh - Epson Equity 2+ with 512K Ram with a 20 MB HD (and it was a 286 with EGA graphics).

6. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

My sister in law was upset because her 3 year old grandson updated her laptop to win 10.I suspect she will be fine with 10 and later her grandson will be there for future updates as they present themselves!

7. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

Alobar if her laptop doesnt support win 10 with new drivers she could end up like mine did and constantly get the spinning blue circle of death,lol.I have an older e5420 dell and even though micro lied and said my comp was ok for win 10 dell did not support it for that comp and i had tons of issues.Ive gone back to 7 pro and she runs great now.

8. botrytis

Well, Dell caused your issues not MS. It says, if you looked at the upgrade notice, you will see that if you have an OEM computer, you need to call the OEM maker and make sure that your PC can be upgraded.

9. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

I run NO Windows 10. Windows 7 was a good, useful, reasonably stable OS until the last junk updates. Linux for me full time.

beat_truck likes this.
  10. botrytis

Just make sure, your linux is using the latest kernel or you are about as secure as an unpatched Win XP machine connected to the internet.

11. c.coyle

c.coyle Crisis actor Subscriber

Various incarnations of Windows at the office, including two machines still on XP, which will be gone very shortly.

Linux Mint here on my personal Dell laptop, and I love it. It takes a little geekiness to get it installed and running, but not a whole lot.

EDIT: Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop is very windows-like.

12. KentTeffeteller

My distros are kept very patched and very current.

13. botrytis

Very few have actually patched the hole (Red Hat is one). You actually, with most distros, have to patch the hole manually. This includes Android and these are not being patched fast at all.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/31...x-distros-dawdle-as-kernel-flaw-persists.html

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux...local-privilege-escalation-vulnerability-fix/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/21/linux_privilege_escalation_hole/

14. KentTeffeteller

I patch mine manually. From source if need be.

15. botrytis

16. c.coyle

c.coyle Crisis actor Subscriber

I'm not sure what to do about my Android phone, but I use Ukuu Kernel Update Utility to install kernel updates on my laptop. Works great.

There is no doubt that running Linux requires a little more knowledge and effort than running Windows.

Last edited: May 11, 2017

17. botrytis

[/QUOTE]

The problem is each Android maker is different. And Apple, not sure what they are going to do.

18. Dude111

Dude111 Analogue is Awesome

Only if you let your mind get filled with MSM garbage.. Then you will be thinking LIKE THEY WANT YOU THINKING!!

Otherwise no...... Use whatever OS makes you happy :)

19. Darksyde

Darksyde Well-Known Member

I use Windows 10 on my recently built gaming PC. I disabled Cortana , silent install and few other telemetry features of Windows 10 . So far so good . I only switched to Windows because Windows 7 and 8.1 are not supported with my processor ( i7 7700k).

20. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

Haha! Me too :)

This is a 2008ish Tecra A-10 Centrino Duo (core 2 Duo P8400 2.2GHz). I was given it for free. I love resurrecting quality machines and now it has a 250G Intel 540 SSD in it and Win10. It's faster than just about every other machine in the house now- it's insane. I love quality hardware, like pre Lenovo Thinkpads and the older top model Toshibas. They go forever, cost nothing and are a joy to use.

I have to maintain a win95 (pentium 100) machine for my audio aquisition hardware too! That's fun and games, hacking into a Dallas RTC to replace the battery is no fun.

Last edited: May 12, 2017