Winter New England Frankenfest - confirmed for Clinton, MA!

w1jim

I can fix it but good...
Subscriber
Just got off the phone with Frank - he's feeling much better - though not doing any heavy lifting.
He said we're good for The Clinton location for the winter GTG.

Date is the last Saturday in February - 2/25/2017.

New England Winter Jam FrankenFest Saturday February 25th in Clinton, MA

It's time for the Winter fest back at our customary location at Franks shop

55 Sterling Street
Clinton Ma 01510

Just over the railroad tracks.

I'd like to encourage everyone who's coming to put a link to this post in their signature line - spread the word.

We as usual, need to be careful about parking - we don't want to use the lot across the street but we can park in front (as usual) and there is a lot around back on Parker Street.

We'll start around 11AM and go until around 5-6 PM.

These events run smoothly with people taking more responsibility for bringing food and cleaning up afterwards.
Let's keep that up!

The swap / sell / freebie tables will be a given as usual and people can bring their favorite toys and systems to set up.
No charges or fees for anyone to buy, sell, or display - we do it for the love. :banana:.

As usual, we're not sure at this time what space will be available to us - I'll try to give Frank a call or he can post here as the time approaches.

Also keep in mind that we'll need to make an extra effort to clean up after ourselves since Frank doesn't have the physical stamina like he used to.

Just take your unsold treasure home with you, don't load up Frank's dumpster.

Please spread the word to anyone and everyone in the New England area to attend - AK involvement isn't a requirement, although typically a given.

All that is required is an obsessive interest in all things audio - that's our common bond.

As per AK rules, please don't post your for sale items here

Here's the link to the Barter Town for sale thread:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....t-clinton-ma-feb-25th-for-sale-thread.752738/

(visible only to subscribers / hint-hint) in a few days.

Last edited:
Even though it was an extra 20 minutes on the drive time if it was a nice space, I hope it is still available.

Kicking in a few bucks for a closer place would be fine too.

I'm certainly sorry to hear about Frank and always enjoyed going to his place. Walpole is about the same distance for us NE Ct. guys so it's fine with me.

OK - sounds like people are happy with the Walpole location.
Let's get some more feedback and I'll try to confirm with Frank that Clinton isn't an option before we start to firm up the Winter FrankenFest.
Jim

I'm happy with pretty much any location, as long as I can get there. Walpole would probably be a bit harder for me to manage than Clinton if the weather conditions were less than optimal, but I doubt it'd matter all that much. Besides, it's fairly close to Norwood, which would give me an excuse to visit the Newbury Comics on Rt. 1. Since the chosen date doesn't clash with any of the 'cabin fever' hamfests around here, I should be there with bells on. :music:
-Adam

Walpole was fine but $5-10 for somewhere more convenient for people wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me.

Walpole worked fine for me as well, and can also throw in a few bucks for another location.

Walpole worked very nicely, but really, I'd like to end up where we get the best participation, so if another location will accomplish that, I'm game to pitch in to rent a space.

Walpole is not a deal-killer for me, but not being young and very healthy anymore :thumbsdown: it would be nice to meet somewhere closer. Besides if the location is let's say somewhere in CT many NY folks may join (I guess).

Don't shoot me, I'm just thinking out loud.
Participation (activity, growth, whatever) is ultimately based on how many of the current Frankenfest participants are recruiting, promoting, chatting up, posting, spreading the word, sharing the love, etc. The participation thing has come up a few times, so does that mean formally "promoting" local get togethers.

The vibe I've always gotten when I've used language like that was that the Frankenfest is a loose and informal social gathering and That pretty much sums up what it is, and it's cool for that very reason, but maybe there's a opportunity for a separate more organized, promoted gathering if folks are talking about kicking in a few bucks for a space. Instead of changing what Frankenfest is and taking it in a direction it was never intended to go. Perhaps doing something a bit broader. The problem is that while it may sound like a good idea, a more organized "event" means having people dedicated to putting some effort and that's usually where people draw the line. It's always a great idea so long as someone else is putting it together :)

Jim asked people to change their signature on AK to promote the date of the last Fest, I think only 1 person other than Jim supported that request , and that only took typing in a few letters. I'm just not sure that folks would be willing to put in the effort of hitting other sites , using social media, reaching out to related retailers or even craigslist to expand the participation.

Oddly enough , there's a group of folks over on Head-fi that have been trying to put together another Winter meet, Then there's the Audio Society Guys, and the Boston AES, and the Antique Radio thing that happens, and MIT . and then the Maker Community, of which many are doing audio related things or might have some interest. - Can JAM NYC, the NY Audio Show . Lots of opportunity to meet up socialize but seems like there everything lives in it's own silo.

back to Winter Frankenfest, or the NE Audio Community Gathering or whatever... Clinton , or whatever location, I'm there, (gear free, with beer to share), need a few bucks to secure a venue? , count me in. Need me to change my siggy, or post in some of the other forums.. sure I'm down. :)

I've thought about and discussed this in the past. I've heavily promoted this on Facebook sites and spread the word over time to others I've met at record stores, flea markets and my general hifi friends.

I encourage everybody to promote the event the best they can though I think we should draw the line posting on Craigslist.
I just don't think we want to go there.

As far as having a team of people to make this happen I think that ends up in disappointment with people dropping the ball.
Also, over time people lose interest.

Keeping it simple seems to be the best way.

Keep in mind that while I try to make the effort to keep these occurring (though many people don't seem to realize it) the reason I do it is to because we can keep it simple.

If anyone wants to help or has ideas please feel free to chime in - it is what you make it. If you can put on a seminar, no matter how simple just post your intentions and do it.
It can be simple like setting up a turntable, cleaning records, how to soldier, a comparison of gear, building cables...

Also, mention the event to new comers on the introduction forum and put a link in your signature pointing to this thread so that people know it exists.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom