Wireless G and N in a digital music system

Butchthetiger

Wondering if wireless G is sufficient for a high quality music system? Thinking of setting up a DLink NAS system to send itunes music files from a NAS to my laptop and into my DAC and McIntosh music system. Wireless N is said to have greater bandwidth but is wireless G sufficient? Your comment will be appreciated.

Butch

Wireless G is capable of 19Mbps typical throughput with a max of 54Mbps, which should be plenty for streaming music over. It depends on signal strength though which depends on distance and number of obstructions (walls) between router and receiver. Wireless N is actually not finished yet, the stuff out now is all pre-release, though the same thing happed for G. The N specification isn't due for ratification until 2010 IIRC. Not that current N stuff isn't any good.

Wireless G is fine. I stream FLAC files to my Squeezebox Duet no problem over my Linksys WRT54GL. All the while surfing on my laptop and having a few other wireless devices running.

Never had a problem with G. Router is 2 stories and many walls, floors and ceiling away for the player. Even used my player outdoors and never dropped a signal.

Thank you all for your input here. It's nice to know that wireless G is suitable for a hi quality music system. Will be moving to a NAS system in the near future.

Butch

If you only have 'G' devices connected, make sure your wireless router is set for 'G' devices only, NOT 'G'&'N' devices - improves throughput so I am led to believe.

John

I've ran G for two years, streaming a from server through my PC and a Roku Soundbridge, never a problem. I'm thinking about N because my wife got a laptop for her birthday (this is a woman whom didn't even have a computer in 96) and she's complaining because the desktop is faster because it's hardwired to the router.

You will not see any latency benefit with N vs G. Wireless N is primarily a MIMO implementation of Wireless G. Its range and overall throughput are higher, but the lag your wife complains about is still there.

I have found, and its been explored online, that WPA AES offers a faster, more efficient wireless network than WPA TKIP (many routers default to this as its an older standard), or WEP. More importantly, update you wireless driver on your PC, and the firmware on your router. I can not stress how much updated drivers help in wireless environments. Many folks have 4 year old wireless drivers -- a lot has improved in that time. Intel is especially good with driver updates, and own a huge market share.

dew.

Back
Top Bottom