Wireless headphones- Any worth looking into for plugging into vintage gear?

DocMontana

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I know there's some wireless headphones out these days, and would very much like the convenience of not being attached to whatever I'm plugged into..I have to admit I've not had a lot of experience with wireless past trying one out on guitar, and didn't like it at all! Screwed up my tone and had this weird cut-off thing going on. That was a while back though, and I'm sure wireless has gotten better since then..Or not.

I would be mainly using them for plugging into vintage gear, (Sansui SS 5000X, Teac 2300S, and Pioneer CT500 cassette) along with "newer" Yamaha multitracker cassette recorder and Fostex VF08 digital unit, recording ideas and original music I'm working on. But I would also like to use them for just listening.

I would like to find an economy-priced set of 'phones that still sound decent, and if need be I'll stick with being "wired", but it would sure be cool to go wireless. Definitely want something with a 1/4" plug.

Last edited:
Please excuse me for asking, but exactly what does the vintage of your gear have to do with selecting headphones?

Wireless phones don't need a plug.:biggrin:

Most modern headphones come with a 3.5mm plug and a 1/4" adaptor. Get used to it.

Do you want closed or open back headphones? Do you want over the ear, on ear or in the ear models? In the ear phones (buds) do the best job of isolation from ambient sounds. On ear and over the ear phones are available as closed and open back. Personally, for sound I prefer open backed over the ear models.

Actually it has nothing to do with the vintage, probably a bad choice of words. My question was more about wireless compatibility with older gear. And what kind of sound one gets with wireless vs. non-wireless.

As I said, my wireless experience thus far has been with musical instruments. With a wireless guitar setup there's a receiver with an antenna that plugs into one's amp. At least that's the case on the older ones. I have to admit I haven't looked at wireless in a long time, like I said I didn't like the way the older units altered the tone.

I would think there has to be SOMETHING that plugs into the headphone input on one's receiver or whatever, or have headphones become so "smart" they can figure out on their own what source one is wanting to channel? o_O

Actually I wouldn't be particularly surprised if that were the case..:rflmao:

I'm also quite used to the 3.5 mm and 1/4" plug. Both sets of headphones I currently have are older, (Late 80's-90's era, and not top-shelf) but they do have that set-up. Again, probably bad choice of words. My gear is all older stuff, so it only follows I'm going to need something that is compatible with a 1/4" input.

As far as open or closed-back, I really have no idea which I would prefer. I'm going to have to do a bit of research on that one. Thanks for the info, good starting point.

Last edited:
If you use a wireless adaptor (Bluetooth or otherwise) it has nothing to do with your gear. You connect the Bluetooth adaptor to a line level input on your receiver/amplifier and go from there.

Closed back headphones are not audible to fellow co-workers or others in the room. Open back are.

I don't remember what model they were or how well they worked wireless wise, but I tried on a pair of over the ear Sonys. They were the most comfortable headsets I have ever worn. In my business, I had to wear headsets every day for 10 to 12 hours a day and I sure could have used a set like that. The sets I wore were Beyer Dynamics and they were comfortable. I would venture to say that you could find great products from either Sony or Beyer. Good luck on your hunt. I'll be interested to see the reviews you get.

Thanks for the info! :D

Sounds like what I might be looking for are closed-back, over the ear phones. Something I'm planning on is using them for recording original music and musical ideas I've been working on, and I'll be needing phones that are "room-silent".

Actually that's what I use headphones for the most, also why I'm looking into wireless- It would be nice to be able to move around the room between recording gear, mixers, ect. with my guitar strapped on and not have to worry about the extra wire from a set of phones. That can sometimes be a bit aggravating.

I would like something that I can also use for just listening though..:music:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom