~~~~~Wireless Vinyl~...

thebeez85

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
....Hope I got your attention! :D

What Im looking for is an audio transmitter ( think ) ...think "fm transmitter for ipod" but something that works over WIFI or Radio frequency...

I wanna be able to have my turntable on a table across the room from my speakers but running REALLY long wires is not gonna be an option....

...thoughts?
...did I miss something?...
..Am I crazy?.. :D

-Beez

You still need the phono pre at the turntable side, which makes long wires a fine option, and also makes the wireless options the same as for transmitting any other audio source, except for digital file servers being a different animal, of course.

Well..... there is no shortage of such devices to accomplish that. I imagine, though, that nearly all of them will be designed to accept and transmit line level audio. Which means that the audio you transmit will have to be after a phono stage. So if you are currently using the phono stage in a receiver, you will have to get a stand alone one, or transmit after passing through the receiver and out of a tape monitor.

As far as my personal opinion on such an endeavor? I would never attempt it, as my view of anything wireless is that it is only acceptable for convenience, and invariably loses technically when compared to the equivalent wired solution. You would be losing what I consider to be the entire point of a turntable, that it is a unadulterated analog source...

You still need the phono pre at the turntable side, which makes long wires a fine option, and also makes the wireless options the same as for transmitting any other audio source, except for digital file servers being a different animal, of course.

Im currently using the onboard Pre on my turntable (i know..i know...)

I have a line-level signal that I want to get to my speakers..

typical RCA connections on both ends...

Well..... there is no shortage of such devices to accomplish that. I imagine, though, that nearly all of them will be designed to accept and transmit line level audio. Which means that the audio you transmit will have to be after a phono stage. So if you are currently using the phono stage in a receiver, you will have to get a stand alone one, or transmit after passing through the receiver and out of a tape monitor.

As far as my personal opinion on such an endeavor? I would never attempt it, as my view of anything wireless is that it is only acceptable for convenience, and invariably loses technically when compared to the equivalent wired solution. You would be losing what I consider to be the entire point of a turntable, that it is a unadulterated analog source...

think you're right, OS......

not that I have the money ANYway for such a setup :sigh:
more of an idea than anything really...

If you want to do it cheap, FM transmitter or long wires are the only way to go, because even the most basic little wireless transmitter/receiver deals are not very cheap.

There are ways of managing long wires. You could have them go along the wall or you could hide them under a throw rug.

Just whatever you do make sure you don't get something that transmits the signal digitally. Having the signal go through a mediocre ADC and then a DAC will take away so much of the sound you'd be better off using a portable source such as an ipod. I hope that doesn't come off as too harsh but it is what it is. :worried:

There are ways of managing long wires. You could have them go along the wall or you could hide them under a throw rug.

Just whatever you do make sure you don't get something that transmits the signal digitally. Having the signal go through a mediocre ADC and then a DAC will take away so much of the sound you'd be better off using a portable source such as an ipod. I hope that doesn't come off as too harsh but it is what it is. :worried:

oh i hear ya on that one...just a thought...it seems with ANY type of transmission, something is lost along the way....or bastardized :sigh:

one can dream can't he?

More is not better in this case.

Find a way to use wires and use the TT at the amplifier side, anything else will degrade the good quality sound a TT will provide, unless you just want background music in a convenient spot (you STILL have to attend to the amp. for volume etc.):sigh:

KISS ("Keep It Simple Stupid", I say politely!):D

All the effort to go wireless could be spent in making the TT usable at the amp.

Mark T.:music:

You'd have to spend a good chunk of coin on an analog to digital converter and then spend another good chunk of coin on a digital to analog converter. You're essentially saying you want to digitize it, stream it, then convert it back to analog? Yeah, if you want to do that and preserve that somethin' somethin' that vinyl has you're going to need to spend big monies.

Get a broadcast phono preamp, connect the turntable to it, unbalance it at your receiver end. Will drive long cable runs that way and not degrade sound.

Which side is your amplifier on?

uh...well....Im running my TT directly into my speakers.

AT-LP120usb >> M-Audio AV-40

RCA cables straight out of the table to my speakers...

I know...not a perfect setup but it sounds great to me! :D

PS: seen you around AK and I'll say Steve Martin is a genius
You'd have to spend a good chunk of coin on an analog to digital converter and then spend another good chunk of coin on a digital to analog converter. You're essentially saying you want to digitize it, stream it, then convert it back to analog? Yeah, if you want to do that and preserve that somethin' somethin' that vinyl has you're going to need to spend big monies.

I know...:sigh: just a thought...I thought to myself "hell, Ive used wireless lavilier microphones with great success at an old job for recording sound on stage, why not play vinyl wirelessly...:stupid: still...it's more of a problem-solving exercise for me than anything...

Find a way to use wires and use the TT at the amplifier side, anything else will degrade the good quality sound a TT will provide, unless you just want background music in a convenient spot (you STILL have to attend to the amp. for volume etc.):sigh:

KISS ("Keep It Simple Stupid", I say politely!):D

All the effort to go wireless could be spent in making the TT usable at the amp.

Mark T.:music:

yeah, I was looking for something kinda like an Apple airport express but in reverse...transceiver/reciever but I can settle with running longer wires If I move my table. :D Its better for all of us!

Last edited:
A lot of those wireless transmitter rigs are not wonderful quality. Not sure if you've ever tried the ipod ones, but using the FM transmitter vs plugging straight into the headphone jack sounds a lot worse. Quality FM can be done, but it requires a better transmitter rig than is commonly found in inexpensive devices. Honestly, long cables will work out better unless you're spending real money. If its post-phono preamp, it won't matter nearly as much. Balanced cables would be even better but then you're getting into more expensive equipment.

Really - what's the point of the TT in the proposed setup?
You'd do just as well with an iPod.
After several comments in this spirit, I have to ask: Could the point be listening to records?? I've already suggested wireless is not worth pursuing, just like everyone else, but I think it's silly that people assume vinyl is some kind of audiophile-setup-only endeavor. It's just a format, like cassettes and CDs and minidisc and... A lot of people own music that is only on vinyl, and might want to be able to use it on a casual setup, good enough for okay sound and safe playback. Any time we're not going to be super serious about fidelity, we automatically should be using an mp3 source? I think not. /rant

After several comments in this spirit, I have to ask: Could the point be listening to records?? I've already suggested wireless is not worth pursuing, just like everyone else, but I think it's silly that people assume vinyl is some kind of audiophile-setup-only endeavor. It's just a format, like cassettes and CDs and minidisc and... A lot of people own music that is only on vinyl, and might want to be able to use it on a casual setup, good enough for okay sound and safe playback. Any time we're not going to be super serious about fidelity, we automatically should be using an mp3 source? I think not. /rant

Silly dumptruck, MP3 is for kids :)
LOSSLESS is where it's at!

I think maybe the fact that listening to vinyl while not in the room WITH the vinyl is considered an "odd" thing to do.

Vinyl kind of demands that interactivity of "loading" the record, placing the stylus in the groove (God forbid I say "needle drop"), sitting down, listening to a few songs, then repeating the process.
I'm assuming of course that the OP was not looking to load up a changer with records.

I guess the idea of the digital player (be it a portable or even a CD player or multi-changer) is to free the listener from constantly running back-forth to the equipment room (as the wireless option is asked for to get him OUT of that room).

Or maybe I have NO idea what this thread is all about and am looking forward to relaxing with some nice Irish Coffee and Christmas music and lights :yes:

:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom