Wiring direct circuit in listening room

Zackh2o

Closing on a new (at least new to me) house late July. Will have a great place to set up my listening room. Have naim components and focal sopra 3 speakers. Should be fairly easy to have a dedicated circuit. Need help from the people on this site who have more knowledge than me by a long way. I know I need a 20 amp, but what type/brand of wire and what type of outlet. Thanks for the help.

This should be very interesting.:lurk:

I've found that hospital grade outlets are more than adequate for my purposes. FWIW, a while back (20+ years) I had three separate 20A circuits run to my room. One is for power amps. One is for TV and digital devices. The third is for analog devices and sources such as a TT and preamp.

I also ran my own dedicated line from the box. I used the proper 20 amp rated in wall wire, a 4 gang box and hospital grade orange outlets all dropping back into an $8 circuit breaker (and that is where I get totally lost)

One can have a several hundred dollar outlet, carbon fiber cover, $1000 Power Cord and bla bla bla, all terminated at an $8 cheesy breaker.

I did that at my house. When running a space heater and two 400 watt amps, big crescendos would sometimes trip the breaker.

I just used a normal 20 amp breaker, 12 gauge wire inside conduit, and a regular 20 amp outlet. Hospital grade outlets are designed to have very good contact (a tight grip), be resistant to chemicals and abuse, and are directly grounded for high oxygen areas, none of those things would be real helpful for stereo.

I can't hear any difference but now I never find my self sitting in quiet darkness!

If the line you run an audio system is on the same circuit as a Refrigerator, Fluorescent Lighting, Microwave.....you should be able to hear a difference.

"Practical electric wiring " by hp richter or "Electrical wiring residential " by Ray Mullins are both classics.

Much better than the advice you will get on an audio forum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom