Wish we could edit PMs

chapps

Just a thought, since I find myself having to type a new PM rather than just edit an old one that needs a little more info. The forum posts can be edited, but not PMs. Maybe its a safety thing..........but any input is appreciated.

Just had a look on another forum that uses Xenforo software. The ability to edit PMs exists on there so it might be something that the admins can choose whether to turn on or not.

Just a thought, since I find myself having to type a new PM rather than just edit an old one that needs a little more info. The forum posts can be edited, but not PMs. Maybe its a safety thing..........but any input is appreciated.

If all else fails, <ctrl> <a> will select all of the text in a text box, <ctrl> <c> will copy it into a buffer, and <ctrl> <v> will paste it. So if all else fails, open the PM you want to modify, execute those first two, create a new PM, execute the last one, and take it from there.

bs

It would be confusing, seems like. After you've sent the PM, the other guy has that message. Editing it on your end isn't going to change what was originally sent, and editing/resending is just going to put another message into his inbox - no different than sending another PM.

It's like email, once you hit send, there is no going back. And you can be sure somebody would try to use the edit feature to reneg on a deal or try to retract an insult or something besides the convenience feature.

It would be confusing, seems like. After you've sent the PM, the other guy has that message. Editing it on your end isn't going to change what was originally sent, and editing/resending is just going to put another message into his inbox - no different than sending another PM.

It's like email, once you hit send, there is no going back. And you can be sure somebody would try to use the edit feature to reneg on a deal or try to retract an insult or something besides the convenience feature.

YES! The idea that deals are made with PMs makes it imperative that original PMs are preserved. I figured that is the only reason that the edit feature is not implemented. This is laid to rest for me.

Back
Top Bottom