WM-5 EL-37

ronton3

ronton3
I have just recently finished recapping a 2nd WM-5 and now have a pair. I am using 5881's right now, I have KT-66's waiting in the wings, but I also have my favorite EL-37's sitting idly by and wonder if they could be a drop in, I am using 12BH7's in the driver position without changes and things sound good. I have read a bunch of threads and haven't seen the EL-37 mentioned but a paper on the Williamson Amp in general contained this quote: Option 3: EL37 Pentode
Another - but unmentioned by Williamson - choice was the Philips/Mullard EL37. But this valve was also a competitor's product and very likely an import.
I did a search of the forum but found no mention of using them with the WM-5. Does anyone know if this will work, is it a good idea to use the 12BH7's in the preamp stage also. Thanks for any opinions.

EL-37's are another variant of the 6L6 family and will drop in and work but the heater current draw is more with EL-37's than with 5881's.

EL-37 draws 1.4A of heater current.
5881 draws 0.9A of heater current.

It might heat up your power transformer more and I have also heard that these amps are hard on power transformers so I wouldn't recommend it for more than 1/2 hour or less for testing purposes.

Thanks for the input, your info gave me the knowledge to check the KT66 heater current draw(original tube for the WM-5) it is 1.3 which is very close to the EL-37, I also discovered that the 7027 is .9 like the 5881 so I have several choices., the 8417 is 1.6, maybe getting a bit high.

Curious if anyone else tried el37 in w5m but it is not like I need to hunt down more tubes. The kt66 and 6L6 sound great as is

Thanks for the input, your info gave me the knowledge to check the KT66 heater current draw(original tube for the WM-5) it is 1.3 which is very close to the EL-37, I also discovered that the 7027 is .9 like the 5881 so I have several choices., the 8417 is 1.6, maybe getting a bit high.
Better make sure the W5M can accept the 7027A. I'm pretty sure it can not. If the tube socket is not wired to accept 7027's, it will see a dead short. It would likely take out your power transformer. Another example, while the McIntosh MC-240 amp's output tube sockets are wired to accept 7027A's or 6L6GC's, the MC-30 mono blocks are not. I know this from personal experience.

Last edited:
Well- I have done quite a bit of research, and have some experience in Knight KB-85 amps using EL37s- and IME, the EL37 is much closer to an EL34, than a 6L6.

I would be reticent to put them into a W5. Especially given how easy it is, sometimes, to damage the output transformers in W5s...

Regards,
Gordon.

Well- I have done quite a bit of research, and have some experience in Knight KB-85 amps using EL37s- and IME, the EL37 is much closer to an EL34, than a 6L6.

I would be reticent to put them into a W5. Especially given how easy it is, sometimes, to damage the output transformers in W5s...

Regards,
Gordon.

I'm working on some Fisher 100-X amps for a fellow AKer right now, and you can use either EL37's or 6L6GC's in those amps. Those amps are cathode bias so there's no change to be made. I don't think they'd be a problem in a W5, honestly. I was about to check the one pair of EL37's that came with the amps, they test strong, but I want to see how well they bias and balance. I'll try them in one of my Williamson amps and see if they're much different from the KT66's I'm using now.

Back
Top Bottom