Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

That looks a bit heavy on the glue to me, PM. It may take a long time to dry through. Don't try to peel it until it is uniformly translucent.

Might be, thanks. It looks thicker in the pix (just like me) than in real life. After an hour, it already had translucent spots. But I did go for intentionally fuller coverage the first time out.

Last edited:
Well I just picked up some Aleene's Tacky Glue tonight and glued up four sides. This stuff is very different to use than the Elmer's wood glue I've been using. It's drier, in a way. It's not runny at all. It's very, well, tacky. We'll see in the morning how well it does.

This is interesting! I have a stack of records that I wouldn't dare put on my good turntable, because they are so horrendously dirty. I think I'll give the Titebond II method a shot and see what happens.

My question is, how much should I pre-clean them first? I apologize if it has been asked, but I don't want to fish through this whole thread :smoke:

Maxx, I usually give an LP (2) spinnings with my discwasher brush (first brushing to pick up the heavy stuff, clean brush, then second brushing to pick up any remaining stuff) this usually removes the visible loose dust and debris from the record and preps the disc for the glue cleaning.

I never pre-wash a record unless its clear that there is gunk dried onto the surface that would require soap and water and some careful scrubbing to loosen, (paper, other glues, heavy sludge, toxic waste, Uranium, a cheeseburger with a side of fries and a coke, etc.)

Last edited:
I peeled and played my test 45s.

I do not enjoy the peeling process, it makes me nervous.

Both records play better, but the Chuck Jackson is either just a bad pressing or was grooved out by a bad player cause it still sounds distored.

I glued up another crackly single (The Sensational Nightengales) we will see if the treatment helps it sound better.

That looks a bit heavy on the glue to me, PM. It may take a long time to dry through. Don't try to peel it until it is uniformly translucent.

p8160005.jpg

Well, when I tried to play it, instead of Bill Evans, all I heard was "Paul is dead. Paul is dead."

;-)

Oh yeah, the Fantasy disc... fewer pops and crackles. Much better. Next up is a Columbia MW Lukas Foss from 1954.

man, yours looks so much nicer than mine, the second one i peeled did come off in one peice, how do you guys start your peel?

I put a little bit of medical tape on the lead in at 4 points and some thread across the top of glue.

Barney

A filthy Vince Gauraldi record from an antique store - getting 5 LPs for a $1.00 keeps expectations low, yet I'm somewhat hopeful since it appears only dirty and not scratched. I'll probably reveal the scratches with this glue method.:yes:

The grime shot:
pre-gluedirt.jpg

Some tools I'll be needing:
pre-glueready.jpg

While I wait, I'll cut some lime wedges:
wewait.jpg

Since I wouldn't dream of playing this record before the wood-glue process, I can't compare the sonic before/after results. Don't know if the pics convey it but it appears clean, shiny and new. And the sound is quite good - a few light crackles but not many - and it plays well: sharp and focused right to the last track on either side.

post-glue1.jpg

post-glue2.jpg

Please, you guys are making me nervous with all of that glue on your beautiful turntables!

Do yourself a favor, and do what I do. I use my 'backup table' - though you don't have to - just take a full 2 page wide piece of newspaper and poke a hole in the middle for the spindle and drape it over the turntable like so. Then you can relax a little more when you do this. :D

x6cs6.jpg

It looks like way too much glue is being used on the last few pics. And sloppy too... much more likely to get glue on the turntable. if you use less glue and a thin plastic card youll have a much easier go of it. Its faster, cleaner, and much easier to control what youre doing.

Also, glue cleaning 45's is a bit harder, the vinyl is different (harder to peel) and its not as simple as a big LP.

Also, you shouldnt need the tape or thread. That just adds time and complexity to an otherwise simple procedure. To get the glue "started" for removal just use your fingernail way out at the edge in one spot. Youll lift a tiny bit of glue, then just pick at that little spot until you get it lifted off enough to grab... at that point you just pull the glue mask off a little more until you get a clean release started... pull up and around and in no time youll have a clean one-piece mask removed with very few, if any edge remnants. (assuming you're using Titebond II of course.... any other glue is an unknown factor...

Last edited:
Aleene's Report

After using Elmer's Wood Glue on a dozen or more LPs, and Titebond II on a handful more, I decided to try Aleene's. The photo shows my first batch set up for drying, along with some of the substance that fueled the endeavor. (Not my favorite brand by a long shot, but the store was out of everything else I like better and can afford).

The Aleene's goes on and handles much differently from the Elmer's and Titebond which are pretty similar to each other. The Aleene's goes on very dry and tacky, and tends to stay where you put it a lot more than the others. It is harder to spread, but one gets the feeling that it has a greater affinity for the vinyl and hopefully the dirt as well. This stuff is hard to make a mess with. It really doesn't want to run or spill. The Elmer's tends to pool up in low spots on a warped disc, or run to the low side of a disc that isn't set on a perfectly level surface. Not so the Aleene's. This is a plus. I tried using a turntable for the first time to spread the stuff, and it is just too sticky on the spreader. The turntable bogs down. I think the table I was using (an ancient Califone idler job with a slippery idler) would handle Elmer's better. The Aleene's wasn't hard to spread out without spinning the disc, probably easier than the Elmer's.

The Aleene's dried clear, as opposed to the translucent Elmer's and Titebond. It also felt slightly sticky and rubbery when dry compared to the others. It was MUCH harder to peel. I used scotch tape for the first time to start the peel, as it was very hard to get a fingernail under the edge as I have become accustomed to doing. The tape stuck hard to the glue (good), and lifted an edge. The glue is very stretchy and one needs to pull very hard to peel it. It is surprising that the glue film remains intact during the pull, but for the most part it does. It really feels like this stuff should pull out every tiny crumb of dirt, more so than the Elmer's, but it's hard to say if it did or not. The results seemed to be about equivalent. I haven't yet decided which glue I like working with better. I still have a lot of both, so I have some time before I have to decide.

Attachments

• Aleene's.jpg
    Aleene's.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 146
Please, you guys are making me nervous with all of that glue on your beautiful turntables!
Do yourself a favor, and do what I do. I use my 'backup table'

Don't worry, that is well, not my backup as it is a dead AR, but it's not my main table.

It looks like way too much glue is being used on the last few pics. And sloppy too... much more likely to get glue on the turntable. if you use less glue and a thin plastic card youll have a much easier go of it. Its faster, cleaner, and much easier to control what youre doing.

Also, you shouldnt need the tape or thread. That just adds time and complexity to an otherwise simple procedure. To get the glue "started" for removal just use your fingernail way out at the edge in one spot. Youll lift a tiny bit of glue, then just pick at that little spot until you get it lifted off enough to grab... at that point you just pull the glue mask off a little more until you get a clean release started... pull up and around and in no time youll have a clean one-piece mask removed with very few, if any edge remnants. (assuming you're using Titebond II of course.... any other glue is an unknown factor...

I think the glue appears thicker in the photographs than in reality. I did spread it with a card and it was fairly easy to work. I used tape as a precautionary measure since it was my first attempt and I didn't know quite what to expect but it ended up peeling easily and in one piece with only the smallest crusty remnants you see in the photos.

I'm begining to see a theme. Maybe we should include, "What Is Your Favorite Beverage For LP Cleaning?" in this thread.

I'm good with that.

Looking to upload some comparative sound clips soon. Can anybody recommend a cheap (or free) file sharing/storage service?
Thanks

Static solution!

It seems that peeling the glue off the record always creates a large static charge. I've found the static is nearly eliminated if the record is placed on an unscented dryer sheet while it's being peeled. :yes:

It seems that peeling the glue off the record always creates a large static charge. I've found the static is nearly eliminated if the record is placed on an unscented dryer sheet while it's being peeled. :yes:

Nice tip, Jon. I certainly have that as an issue in the winter & summer when my central systems are taking moisture out of the air. I've got some drying right now, so I'll give it a go. :thmbsp:

From above, I did find a file service that I hope will fit the bill (though I'm still awaiting confirmation). Anyway, big doings and a major comparative post coming - Titebond Extend vs. Titebond II, as well tackling tenacious mold on vinyl with 1- Hand Cleaning; 2- VPI Typhoon; and finally pva glue (both flavors).

Also, it's about time we summarize where we've come thanks to all who have contributed with experiments and reported the results on this thread. A lot of what will come in the next couple of days will be from my own preferences in glue and methods, but shouldn't be taken as the final word at all. Because others reported success with alternate glues and methods.

Stay tuned...

- Mario

Back
Top Bottom