Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

HRGiger,
That Elmer's gel you used reminds of the DiscoClean commercial formula that Dynacophil used. He devised a method of recycling it for re-use back in Post #90 on Page 6. Maybe this would work for you.
All best,
Mario

Exactly! I was thinking that the other day as I balled up that last piece for the trash it occurred to me. I think you are right. I imagined soaking it in alcohol or whatever it was he used to reuse it, but then I thought it's only like $1.50 or something so why bother?

while waiting for my new bottles of discofilm to arrive i use wood glue diluted with purified water. i use the discofilm applicator to aply the wood glue which works great.
i think wood glue and discofilm are on paar cleaning wise.

i tried the recycling suggestion from dynacophil but to be honest the recycled discofilm developed a very bad smell.

i will completely use the bottle wood glue i bought so i can compare the costs per record against the discofilm bottle.

I have tried this Elmer's school glue gel again this time on an album that looked mint and sounded extremely good but had some lengthy quiet passages that I could hear some click and pops. I let the gel dry for 2 hours this time, and it peeled off perfectly with a little tighter bite, and no stray pieces, and now the album sounds FANTASTIC. In the past cleaning away these last little distractions was usually tough, so I would say this is as good as Aleene's.

I bought some Elmer's white school glue, not the gel. It goes on a bit more watery than the wood glue, it is a little harder to spread evenly, and takes just as long to dry (8+ hours). It peeled very nicely, more easily than the wood glue. Overall, I won't use it again I think.

Im inclined to think that the Elmers Interior Wood Glue is time-critical. I believe the sincerity that the Elmers Wood Glue is as good as Titebond-II, but I must add that I let mine dry the same time period I let the Titebond-II dry and the results were terrible (as previously posted).... I am hesitant, but I *will* try the Elmers Wood Glue again when I can be sure that I will removed the glue as SOON as it is dry... minimal drying , i think, is what it needs... too long and it becomes far too brittle to be practical.

Im inclined to think that the Elmers Interior Wood Glue is time-critical. I believe the sincerity that the Elmers Wood Glue is as good as Titebond-II, but I must add that I let mine dry the same time period I let the Titebond-II dry and the results were terrible (as previously posted).... I am hesitant, but I *will* try the Elmers Wood Glue again when I can be sure that I will removed the glue as SOON as it is dry... minimal drying , i think, is what it needs... too long and it becomes far too brittle to be practical.

I'm not pressing for you or anyone else to use the Elmer's wood glue. If you are happy with something else, by all means use that. I've got half a pint of it still, I'll use that up. I'm still keeping my eyes open for that Gel glue... 2 hour dry time would be really sweet.

Thanks. If I can't find some locally I may take you up on the offer! The two hour dry time has me thinking about crafting some kind of applicator arrangement. I'm thinking a perforated tube mounted to a section of a windshield wiper blade!

Don't know if you can get it over in the States/Canada, but I'm using Bison D2 Topspeed wood glue. This stuff does indeed dry fast. About two hours normally and less than that if using a fan. I'm not sure, but I think Bison may actually be a Dutch company, so no idea if it's internationally available.

I tried the Elmers Interior Carpenter Wood Glue on a old record just to try the application and removal. I put it on and let it dry overnight (about 12 hours), it peeled off in one big piece pretty easily. There were a few very small pieces left on the edges but they came off too.

I tried the Elmers Interior Carpenter Wood Glue on a old record just to try the application and removal. I put it on and let it dry overnight (about 12 hours), it peeled off in one big piece pretty easily. There were a few very small pieces left on the edges but they came off too.

That accurately describes my experience with it as well. How did you get the peel started?

Used an xacto knife/raxor blade to get a little bit popped up from the edge, just worked it up by hand from there.

First experience with Titebond III

I tried the wood glue cleaning technique for the first time last night on one side of a Who album that is unlistenable. I used just under 2 ounces of undiluted Titebond III which I chose for its "Longer Open Assembly Time". After allowing the glue to dry overnight, I noticed a reduction in noise but did not experience the miracle cleaning that so many posters to this thread have.

Removal of the glue was a piece of cake and it released in one piece. Since this album is pretty much a throwaway at this point, I'll try a few other things to see if it can be rescued.

I tried the wood glue cleaning technique for the first time last night on one side of a Who album that is unlistenable. I used just under 2 ounces of undiluted Titebond III which I chose for its "Longer Open Assembly Time". After allowing the glue to dry overnight, I noticed a reduction in noise but did not experience the miracle cleaning that so many posters to this thread have.

Removal of the glue was a piece of cake and it released in one piece. Since this album is pretty much a throwaway at this point, I'll try a few other things to see if it can be rescued.

My observation is that undiluted PVA glue isn't as effective as diluted. It's not very easy to "prescribe" the dilution ratio as each maker's "undiluted" product can be different.

I dilute to the point that when applied to the LP, rotating the LP on the TT at 33rpm would gradually build up a bulge of glue on the outer rim and leaving it rotate for more than a couple of minutes would have the glue jump off the LP.

Well, I went out to get some more of the Elmer's blue gel glue and I did have trouble finding any again, but I found a bunch at Office Max. At walmart I found some newer stuff called "Elmer's Washable Clear School Glue." I assume it is the newer version of the blue gel, because looking at the label of each, the blue has a date of 2007 and the clear 2008. Maybe people thought the blue would dry blue or something. Anyway, the clear is a little thinner. I am drying two discs right now, one I treated with straight clear glue, the other I treated with slightly diluted clear glue (added a little water.) Both of them I brushed the glue on with a 1" paint brush. I put it on about 30 minutes ago, I'll try to post results later tonight...

I also got some elmer's glue sticks, going to experiment with them also...

23810-1600-3ww-l.jpg

I have some of that school glue. Seemed to be about the same as Elmer's regular white glue. Works fine, but not really any faster in my experience. I've got four discs drying right now with Elmer's carpenters wood glue (interior). I put a fan on them for the first time, and I also spread it a little thinner on the disc than usual. Seems like they'll be dry in 3 to 4 hours instead of the usual 8 to 10. A big improvement.

Okay here are clips from the Elmer's clear school glue. I found that squirting it on the album and them smoothing it out with a 1" paintbrush works well (gets good coverage a little thinner.) Took about 2 hours to dry and peel easily. It worked at least as well as any of the others I've tried. I may try a second time to attempt to get the stubborn clicks that are still there, but listen for yourself, like night and day.

Pay special attention to the part after 0:40...

Before clear glue

After clear glue

I just re-read the post... I didn't see that it was CLEAR school glue. I have only found the white glue. I'd love to have a two hour dry cycle.

I can hear the difference! Thanks for posting the evidence :) as well as taking the time to do the comparison and tell us about your results, hrgiger.

Back
Top Bottom