Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

rulerboyz said:
About 68-70 F inside. 14 F outside. Pretty dry too.

Outside its minus 10 Celcius.......... thats BELOW FREEZING?

Hell, no wonder its taking a while to dry, even inside.

rulerboyz said:
About 68-70 F inside. 14 F outside. Pretty dry too.

I was thinking the same thing. PVA needs a min temp of 50 to work. Also is that "Dry" outside or inside? because houses commonly are very "wet" compared to the outside in winter...:yes:

outlawmws said:
Also is that "Dry" outside or inside? because houses commonly are very "wet" compared to the outside in winter...:yes:

I beg to differ. In my part of Canada, houses are extremely dry inside in the winter. The outside air can be rather humid, but in heating air, every 20°F of heating drops the RH by half. Many homes in Canada are actually quite dry inside. This likely holds somewhat true for Ontario, although the best way to tell would be to have/look at an RH gauge in the house.

jasong said:
I beg to differ. In my part of Canada, houses are extremely dry inside in the winter. The outside air can be rather humid, but in heating air, every 20°F of heating drops the RH by half. Many homes in Canada are actually quite dry inside. This likely holds somewhat true for Ontario, although the best way to tell would be to have/look at an RH gauge in the house.

Didn't notice he was in Canada, and unless you heat with a wood stove in Calif. the opposite is true. I'm usually 10-20% wetter inside than outside.

outlawmws said:
Didn't notice he was in Canada, and unless you heat with a wood stove in Calif. the opposite is true. I'm usually 10-20% wetter inside than outside.

So is my mom. I MEAN...

You lucky California guys with all your warmth and tanning and produce. :\

gearhead said:
Well, alrighty then.
Ideally-how thick should the glue be?

Consistency thick, or layer thick?

Too thick a layer will take a long time to dry, too thin difficult to remove. (don't forget to add the "Tabs")

Consistency? From what has been said, thick enough to keep from running, thin enough to spread. I'd imagine Elmer’s household is way too thin.

The BBC uses the same idea for there lps. I dont know whaut it is that they use though.

6 inches of Snow over here, and still falling !

Rulerboyz

I think over 16 hours waiting is way over the top for most glues .. sounds like it was watered or too watery

Next time I would stir it well, then stir it again
Temperature is important & room temp should be adequate

You could also try a different pot of glue & see if the situation improves

Actually, too thick and it may never dry. It looks like over-thickly layed down bands of glue can get trapped in airtight pockets as result of drying from both the vinyl and air side. I had a band of this on my 2nd attempt, but was lucky in pulling it off without the band breaking open. I’ve got a few drying right now. I’ll try and upload some more pics tonight.

Gearhead,
A guy I trust said that the ideal spread across an LP surface was 30 grams. I don’t have a scale; so I’ve been just doing it by feel - returning excess to the container. I’ve switched from an old credit card to my father’s Mass card which is a lot more flexible (as the man who got me started with tubes and vinyl, I know he’d approve.)

- Mario

Ok,

I tried it again today. This time I used a plastic ruler to thin it out a bit. I just got Donald Fagen "The Night Fly" from ebay. It was kind of dirty and not in the best shape, but for $5 not bad. Even a little roughed up that album sounds great. Well I just put some glue on Side A, will report back later.

This thread is amazing!! I don't know when I'll find the time but I just gotta try this. I have many old records that could benefit. Great Post!!:thmbsp:

I just remembered THIS THREAD, and it got me thinking... AGAIN.

The glue is not as flexible, and not as good at curing and releasing as the silicone. I'm going to hit the local craft shop (if I can get there this weekend - "local" for a decent shop is about a 45 minute drive for me :thumbsdn: ) and see what they have in the mold-making supplies.

Can't believe I forgot about that thread! :para:

I'm going to try this as soon as I can afford some glue. That has to come after rent, sadly...

Any recommendations on the best brand? I've only ever seen/used Elmer's before, so if it's no good for this I would like to know beforehand.

Glad to see you back on the horse Rulerboyz! We need all the experimenters we can get if we're going to play catch-up with the EuroBoys.
Sitting down at the table after a peel, trying to scape up the stray flecks in the run-out grooves - can be a pain. By the way, use some broken up bits of old dried glue for any fleck lifts. Sometimes I think this is more restoration than cleaning. But when you lift the cobwebs off that age old beauty and hear it play clean and quiet "like new" (if it's undamaged) is truly astonishing!

Dansk,
This is hard to pin down just yet. The more expensive glues seem to be more viscous - this may or may not be the best way to go. The different glues are going to spread differently and make nailing down the right amount to use difficult. I'm using the old standard around these parts - Franklin's Titebond. But get a few practice records and see how it flows.

Took a bunch of pictures of three single peels. Not sure that foisting them up all at once is a good idea, so I’ll dribble some out over time.

2nq8hed.jpg

This first is a thin application after 90 minutes.

44kox2x.jpg

After 3 hours it was ready to peel.

34p1czr.jpg

I was lucky that I could make it across because three tabs broke away. It needs to be a little thicker than this.

Ozmoid, that record piracy link is a hoot!

Well, what the heck, let’s go for a few more. This time the ugly and how to deal with it.

2vs446a.jpg

This was a first attempt with the lift sticks which are glued on after the top of the initial application is dry. If the glue had been thinner they might have worked, but then I slopped way too much out toward the edged. Notice the band of undried glue after six hours. This band will not dry – it’s sealed away like it’s back in the container.

2dm8axi.jpg

I was able lift off one of these pregnant bands last night without it busting out, but not this time with the lift sticks. This pictures an area that took wet glue after the bust-off. Notice the white vinyl tape in preparation for a localized application. Brushed on a thin layer off glue to cover this area that got redeposited on.

33muars.jpg

After about two hours it all lifted off.

Back
Top Bottom